Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 03-15-2011
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 "War Wagon"
Dodge GOTMTNS 2004 2WD Dodge Ram "Do It All" Rig Build
After making the decision to go back to school I am selling the TJ to cut back on bills and to give myself a good bit in saving to fall back on, so my Dodge is going to be getting a few mods to make it a "Do it all" rig. On top of being my daily driver it has already been my tow rig and now its going to get a few mods to make it a- "light" expedition, camping and hunting rig. Hoping to do the build cheap, and the fact that a lot of the little parts I already have lying around after not being used on previous projects is going to help a lot on the nickel and dime items. Probably going to list prices with pics to help myself keep a running total.

Current stats as of 3/15/11
- 4.7 V8
- Dual Exhaust
- 32" JK take offs
- Tow package
- Bed liner
- Camper shell
- Tail light guards
- Gun/hat rack

Day I bought him home:

With a set of brand new JK take offs, running 32" Wranglers now: $150 after selling the rims + $75 for certs from Discount.

With the tail light guards (never took any pics of install): $0 Given to me by my best friend.

With the camper shell: $100 + $15 for new seal and misc.
Still have to mod it to fit better on the Dodge (came from a Chevy), but the color and price made it so I couldn't pass it up.

Just some pics of him: First one is a quick stop at the river on the way home form fishing on the rim (my favorite pic of him so far), the second one is towing Phoenix home from the coves after his drive shaft took out his TC, third is with 5 35s and 5 36s in the bed (Jeeper way), and the fourth is the Dodge and Jeep side by side.

Future mods for truck:
- Mounting the LED light bar I already have.
- Install front hitch for a recovery point and to use in a the future with a saddle mounted winch I am going to share with my dad and his Tahoe, ordering hitch tomorrow. DONE
- Installing a rear add a leaf and front spacer kit.
- MAYBE install a locker.
- Watching for a set of JK BFG Mud take offs to get better traction.
- Mount one of my CBs, actually looking at mounting in the door to save passenger space with it being only a regular cab. Probably going to mount the antenna on the rear bumper like G & D, going to run a whip.
- Mount one of my GPS and actually start using them, lol.
- Possibly a set of fog lights or driving lights.
- New stereo and speakers, I have to have my tunes.
- Other things I am sure will come to mind.

Future mods for the shell and bed:
- Install one of my sets of lights on the back as area lighting for camp and extra back up lights.
- Install a couple of single LED lights that I have had laying around for a few years as interior lighting, going to mount a switch in the shell.
- Talk to George about coating the roof to cool it down.
- Build a sleeping deck that doubles as built in storage, going to carpet and possible put some padding. DONE
- Run some cables from the battery to inside the shell so I can use my power inverter.
- Mount my Hi Lift.
- Mount my CO2 tank.

Last edited by GOTMTNS; 04-03-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-16-2011
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Default Re: GOTMTNS 2004 2WD Dodge Ram "Do It All" Rig Build
That's a nice looking truck Dan! Good luck with the Jeep and the few mods you want to do. Congrats on going back to school too! d
Old 03-16-2011
Premium Club Member

Originally Posted by dzJeepChic View Post
That's a nice looking truck Dan! Good luck with the Jeep and the few mods you want to do. Congrats on going back to school too! d
Thanks D, hopefully I can get in a run every now and then with you guys. Glad to be back in school, been too long and I know it will help me in the future (driving has no future anymore).

Old 03-30-2011
Premium Club Member

Cool Bedmaster Carpet Kit for only $50
Got lucky and picked up a Bedmaster Sportsmans Carpet Kit for only $50 today, in brand new condition. Due to the camper shell clamps, plastic bed liner and it being made for a '97 Dodge I had to do a little trimming though; but in only an hour I had it cut and ready to go.

Why I had to trim:

There are six storage compartments, only one is its own bin and I hope to put a lock on it:

The other five provide access to the space under the seats, first pic is an access panel that makes it possible to store fishing rods assembled:

With bed deck on top it leaves plenty of space for storage underneath and room for two up top, and Nalu is already loving its:

Typically if I am by myself or with Nalu the deck will be down. But since the deck is two pieces (one 1/3 the length and the other 2/3 the length), I think I will try leaving the small section up and letting Nalu sleep in a "loft" with my feet underneath.

I got really lucky with this one- saved me a lot of fabbing time, cost less than just the materials would have cost me and I am sure looks a lot better than what I would have made .

Old 03-31-2011
(Rob) (KF7NVK)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2008 JK Rescue Green
I saw that on craigslist yesterday and told Diane about it. I'm glad someone got that good deal. Looks great.
Old 03-31-2011
Premium Club Member

Originally Posted by azscout View Post
I saw that on craigslist yesterday and told Diane about it. I'm glad someone got that good deal. Looks great.
That's what D told me on FB, it really was a great deal. I got lucky and called him right after it was posted and had it picked up before the add was even 2 hours old. Nice older guy who had his grandson post it for him, he had been trying to sell it at yard sales for 3 years after trading in his Dodge. I know I will put it to use.

Old 03-31-2011
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2003 Nissan Frontier
What a great score! $50 man, thats sweet!
Old 04-03-2011
Premium Club Member

Tow Truck Front Hitch- Recovery point and saddle winch mount
The front hitch came in last week, but the instructions said it would take an hour and with temps lately I was procrastinating. Well the instructions were wrong on time, got it installed in around 30 including taking pics . Now I have a front recovery point, that I am sure will get used with the truck only being 2WD.

As you can tell by these pics I have one more of these to install, so dads Tahoe will be getting its installed soon.

Had to fish the bolts through the frame, pretty easy (had to do the same when I installed the rear hitch).

Finished product. It hangs low, but shouldn't be an issue with the type of wheeling planned for this rig.

Old 05-15-2011
Premium Club Member

Been busy with school lately (finals this week), but have gotten a few things done to the truck recently.

Picked up a brand new AirAid intake for a great price. $212

Finally put my ORP and SAR stickers on:

Installed some overhead LED's into the shell also, everything I used I have had for years so I consider it a no cost mod. Ran power from the battery so they can be turned on without the truck being on. $0

Fabbed up a switch mount, and a second one for when I mount the exterior lights.

Also want to install some curtains for privacy, you can really see into the shell with the lights on.

Mounted the Max Axe finally using some of the Quick Fist clamps I ordered, picked up a variety of sizes for $45

Really happy with the amount of space in the storage compartment, especially since I am saving the one side for use with camping and fishing gear due to it have a fishing pole access hatch. Inside- the Hi-lift (in the new hard case), multiple tow straps, snatch block and shackles, the accessories for the Max Axe, jack stand, Gorilla Wrench, jumper cables, tire repair kit, multiple sets of gloves, and a blanket.

Also fixed one of the window tracks that was sagging, and started the process of making the rear hatch seal water proof. Should finish the seal tomorrow and get pics hopefully before softball. Added some adjustable spot mirrors onto my side mirrors, and now I can see my rear tires.

Old 05-15-2011
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Looking good Dan!! d