Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 10-23-2013
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2001 Jeep Wrangler, lifted on 33's
Default Accurate GPS app for I-phone
I've been plotting gps locations for sites out on the AFNM. My Garmin & Google are reasonably close on the coordinates. My I-Phone gps mapping app is way out of whack.

"You guys know a lot of stuff". do any of you use a free app for GPS on the I-phone which you feel is accurate?

Thanks in advance,

Larry K.
"Stump Jumper"
Old 10-23-2013
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Accurate GPS app for I-phone
i know a couple people use the ipad version of this, it's not free, but it's only $2:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/moti...299949744?mt=8

no-one ever mentioned any accuracy problems to me.

i'm curious what accuracy your phone GPS says it's resolving to, perhaps its defective? this free app will tell you the accuracy, should get to at least 20m if the gps is working and it's not just using cell/wifi signal based location: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gps-info!/id333178016
Old 10-23-2013
(Cam) (KG7SWF)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Yellow hardtop)
Okay, this isn't free, but it's only $3.99 right now and well worth it if you need this kind of tool. Great reviews and very cool for plotting locations. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/theo...339393884?mt=8

If you're looking for more of a mapping app, I use Gaia since it allows downloading of better off-road maps than MotionX. I used to use MotionX before they killed the good map downloads. I found both apps accurate.
Old 10-24-2013
Basic Member

Thanks guys. Guess I'll have to spend a few bucks & get a better app.

I've been plotting these sites with my old Garmin Venture Etrex, and, at times with a free app on my I-phone (GPS lat/long coordinates - not even sure who provides this), and then coming home and checking the same sites on google.

The Garmin & Google are within 300 ft. of each other. The I phone app is showing a 10-13 minute of error consistently on the high side in both lat & long. If I remember correctly from my sailing days off the west coast of Oregon, a minute of error is about a mile, which equals a 10 to 13 mile error this app is showing.

Appreciate the help.

Larry K.
Old 10-24-2013
Basic Member

GCDAS,

Thanks.

I loaded up the Theodolite app by Hunter & it places me within a few feet of the Garmin location & ditto with the google location.

My little problem solved. Much appreciate the info.

Larry K.
Old 10-24-2013
(Cam) (KG7SWF)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Yellow hardtop)
I'm glad that worked out, Larry. When I first found Theodolite, I was knocked up by how much they managed to cram so elegantly into the tool. Amazing how quickly technology is eliminating our old tools...

Cam
Old 10-29-2013
(Ted)
Basic Member

Vehicle: '06 KJ (Liberty)~Stock
[tongue in cheek] Ditch the iDon't and get an Android phone and the totally free OruxMaps app which does so many things you will be amazed![/tongue in cheek]

IMHO, though I've never actually owned an iPhone, my research has shown that for the most part, whatever iDon't do, Android does; and way way way better. And cheaper or free'er as well.

Can I get free'er added to the webster's? LOL.