Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 01-20-2019
Basic Member

Vehicle: Wrangler
Default Re: JK Wrangler Push-to-Start, Hands-Free Keyless Entry & Remote Start
Not a problem, thanks for clarifying. Took a leap of faith and went with the white GWR.

Got everything hooked up and into place (including splicing into the brake switch), but now have some weird issues.

1. for some reason my brake lights are stuck on. I removed the entire switch from the metal mount but now when i replace it, it seems the pedal doesn't come in contact with the switch enough to depress it and keep the lights off while driving. Can you confirm that the brake lights should go off when the switch is depressed? or should they only come on when the switch is depressed (this makes more sense due to the layout of the pedal.)

2. I plugged everything in, but I could not get the push button to actually start the car. The fob triggered lights and I pressed lock and unlock, but didn't actually lock or unlock the doors. Is there any additional setup required after plugged everything up. I also held down the power button for five seconds to see if it would start that way, and still nothing.

Any wisdom you could impact here?
Old 01-20-2019
Basic Member

Originally Posted by Ballistix View Post

1. for some reason my brake lights are stuck on. I removed the entire switch from the metal mount but now when i replace it, it seems the pedal doesn't come in contact with the switch enough to depress it and keep the lights off while driving. Can you confirm that the brake lights should go off when the switch is depressed? or should they only come on when the switch is depressed (this makes more sense due to the layout of the pedal.)
Figured this one out. Looks like my plunger on the switch was pressed too deep, just needs to be pulled out and re-calibrated.

Still need to see why the Easyguard isn't working right, need to confirm my dip switches. Feel like I might have messed them up.
Old 01-20-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Not a problem, thanks for clarifying. Took a leap of faith and went with the white GWR.

Got everything hooked up and into place (including splicing into the brake switch), but now have some weird issues.

2. I plugged everything in, but I could not get the push button to actually start the car. The fob triggered lights and I pressed lock and unlock, but didn't actually lock or unlock the doors. Is there any additional setup required after plugged everything up. I also held down the power button for five seconds to see if it would start that way, and still nothing.

Any wisdom you could impact here?

1 - when the pedal is at REST, it's pressing the switch plunger IN and that turns the brake lights OFF. when you press on the brake pedal, it releases the switch plunger and the brake lights then come ON.

i saw something about how the travel for the switch is self-adjusting when you first put in a new switch... not sure if it can get un-adjusted?

also, FYI, the plastic was brittle on mine and the part that twist-snaps into the dash broke when i put it back in. it was kinda half holding on at first yet still working correctly. anyway, i didn't trust it so i ended up with a new one from Autozone for like $15 bucks i think it was.

2 - either there's an issue with the wiring, or the Omega module isn't programmed correctly.

a) did you flash the Omega module using your PC? be sure you picked "hardwired" for the interface option during that whole process.

b) did you then complete the programming of the Omega module to your vehicle/key? be sure to only attach the Omega module to all the t-harness plugs during this part, but do NOT plug in the connections to the Easyguard until the vehicle/key programming is complete.

what did you mean that the "fob triggered lights" - which lights? and was that when you pressed a button on the fob or just when it was nearby?

FYI, the push-to-start button should be lit up whenever the fob is within range of the Easyguard antennas, that's about the only indication that the Easyguard is getting power. also, as soon as you step on the brake pedal, that start button should start blinking.

assuming all your wiring is OK, i'm thinking maybe re-flash the Omega module (and then you have to re-program it to the rig again) - it sounds like it's not communicating with the Easyguard.
Old 01-20-2019
Basic Member

I did perform the flash as well as the key paring sequence, but I have also unplugged it from the car since then. I figured it had written the config to a permanent memory. If not, then that's the issue. I'll re-flash and re-pair tomorrow morning and see if it solves the issue.

The fob triggering lights were the headlights. When I pressed lock or unlock, the headlights came on and stayed on.
Old 01-20-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
I did perform the flash as well as the key paring sequence, but I have also unplugged it from the car since then. I figured it had written the config to a permanent memory. If not, then that's the issue. I'll re-flash and re-pair tomorrow morning and see if it solves the issue.

The fob triggering lights were the headlights. When I pressed lock or unlock, the headlights came on and stayed on.
once the Omega module has been flashed and programmed then yes, that config is all stored safely even if the power is disconnected. however, if you re-flash it using a PC then i believe that also clears out the vehicle/key programming config and so you have to re-do that step again too.

but, it sounds like you definitely have power to both modules, and that they are talking to each other - at least via the lock and unlock signal wires, and that the Omega is talking to the Jeep in at least some capacity...

i would double check all your flash settings and re-flash, then re-program to the rig (with the Easyguard unhooked), double check all your DIP switches and then hook up the Easyguard connections. remember that you must make any changes to the DIP switches while the Easyguard is not hooked up.

some items to check:

- can you hear the door lock solenoids clicking when you do the lock & unlock buttons on the fob?
- will it try to start if you hold down the start button on the fob for 3 seconds (regardless of brake pedal position)?
- is the big push-to-start button lit up? does it blink when you press the brake pedal?
- does the push-to-start button ever change colors? what if you hold it for 5 seconds, release it, and then wait a couple more seconds?
Old 01-21-2019
Basic Member

Looks like we have some successes today. I removed everything from the Omega harness except the Omega module and tested my flashing. Everything seemed to work (unlock, lock, and remote start) just fine, so I am going to assume that my flash was successful?

Fault 1: I had dip switches set to all up, instead of all up, 5 down. Fixed that.
Resolution 1: The Easyguard system is now unlocking and locking as I approach and leave the vehicle.
Note: I did remove all sources of power from the Easyguard before modifying the switches.

Fault 2: Brake light switch was fully depressed causing brake light issue.
Resolution 2: Fully extended the plunger from the switch, pressed the brake pedal all the way in, and released it onto the switch and let it auto-adjust itself.

Now for the persisting issues:

Issue 1: Still can't get the car to start up with the push button start. Tired the 5 second method too, but with no luck. When I press down on the brake pedal, I can hear many things whirring in the background. The start button also flashes when I press down on the brake pedal, I hear solenoids click in the background as well, but nothing happens.

Issue 2: I can't seem to get into the secret menus of the Easyguard system either. I tried both the Parameter time prolong setting and the Turn off central door locking automation, but I couldn't get the feedback from the system saying the setting changed successfully. Is there a trick to this? I am assuming that I need to see the screen for the timer prolong, but I'm not sure how to get to it.

Issue 3: It seems once I use the OEM Jeep key, the Easyguard system backs out and doesn't take control anymore. I started the vehicle with the key, turned it off, and walked away, but the doors didn't lock. When I got back in the car with the fob on me and pressed on the brake pedal, the start button didn't flash anymore either. The only way to get it to come back was to remove power from the Easyguard and power it back on. Is this working as intended?

Answers from previous questions:

- can you hear the door lock solenoids clicking when you do the lock & unlock buttons on the fob?
--I do now, yes. But there is a significant delay between pressing the button and the action occurring.
- will it try to start if you hold down the start button on the fob for 3 seconds (regardless of brake pedal position)?
--No, it will not.
- is the big push-to-start button lit up? does it blink when you press the brake pedal?
--the button does light up when the fob is near, and flash when the brake pedal is pushed in.
- does the push-to-start button ever change colors? what if you hold it for 5 seconds, release it, and then wait a couple more seconds?
Old 01-21-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

well you're 90% there it sounds like, so that's good!

first, the rig should start and stay running for 45 minutes without the time-delay relay, so just to be sure there's not an issue with it or its wiring remove that relay for now. maybe completely disconnect the resistors too if that's not a PITA.

next, in order for the Omega module to start the Jeep, it needs power of course, but then only the GWR input needs to be grounded and +12v needs to be applied to its Start input... so maybe triple check these connections:

- Omega module 10P, Black/White (Start +In) === Easyguard 6P, Yellow (Starter +Out)
- Omega module 4P E, Blue/White (GWR -In) === Easyguard 3P, White (GWR -Out)

that second one is also where you had to connect pins 85 & 87 of the time-delay relay.

FYI, even if the vehicle doesn't start correctly for some reason, my Easyguard thinks it did anytime i use the remote start feature or hold down the button for 5 seconds. what i mean is the Easyguard's push-to-start button will change color as if it started the rig even if something with the Omega didn't work. so be sure your start button is changing color so you know that the Easyguard is really doing its part.

also, even if you haven't done the Easyguard prolong start parameter setting, or even if you didn't program the Omega module correctly to your key, it should still start the rig and let it run for about 2 seconds before shutting down.

issue #2: if i'm remembering correctly, those options are the ones that are supposed to beep the horn as confirmation...
Quote:
the Easyguard 20P, Pink (Factory Horn -Out) does not have to be connected. without it, the factory horn WILL still beep when you lock the system (if you have that option enabled on the Jeep).

however, there are several options on the Easyguard that use this direct horn output to try and beep a certain number of times for confirmation. therefore you likely want to at least hook this output to a little buzzer or 12 volt LED. you could also hook directly to one of the factory horns, but i don't know anywhere to tap into a wire inside the cabin for that.

note this is a negative output so it goes on the ground side of whatever you are switching. it can only sink 300ma of current, which isn't much, so be careful what you hook to it. for example, you'd have to use a relay with this output to trigger a high wattage alarm siren.
also see post #18 for the little alarm chirper i ended up using. you could even temporarily hook up a small 12v lamp for now to get a visual confirmation of the settings you're trying to change.

issue #3: if i use the factory key fob to unlock, it stays unlocked and stops trying to look for the Easyguard fob. however, all i have to do is hit the unlock button on the Easyguard fob to get it working again. i've never had to unplug the Easyguard to get it re-enabled, even if i started the rig with the factory key.

keep in mind that the lock button on the Easyguard fob locks the rig but also disables the proximity/passive-entry feature. pressing the unlock button unlocks the rig and re-enables the proximity stuff.

another FYI - only one of the Easyguard fobs is "active" at a time for the proximity stuff - i.e. the system looks for whichever of it's fobs most recently had a the unlock button pressed and is supposed to ignore the other fob till you press unlock on it and then that one becomes the active one.
Old 01-21-2019
Basic Member

Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
well you're 90% there it sounds like, so that's good!

first, the rig should start and stay running for 45 minutes without the time-delay relay, so just to be sure there's not an issue with it or its wiring remove that relay for now. maybe completely disconnect the resistors too if that's not a PITA.

next, in order for the Omega module to start the Jeep, it needs power of course, but then only the GWR input needs to be grounded and +12v needs to be applied to its Start input... so maybe triple check these connections:

- Omega module 10P, Black/White (Start +In) === Easyguard 6P, Yellow (Starter +Out)
- Omega module 4P E, Blue/White (GWR -In) === Easyguard 3P, White (GWR -Out)

that second one is also where you had to connect pins 85 & 87 of the time-delay relay.

FYI, even if the vehicle doesn't start correctly for some reason, my Easyguard thinks it did anytime i use the remote start feature or hold down the button for 5 seconds. what i mean is the Easyguard's push-to-start button will change color as if it started the rig even if something with the Omega didn't work. so be sure your start button is changing color so you know that the Easyguard is really doing its part.

also, even if you haven't done the Easyguard prolong start parameter setting, or even if you didn't program the Omega module correctly to your key, it should still start the rig and let it run for about 2 seconds before shutting down.
Just removed the relay and cut the resistors out, no luck. Also ran continuity all the way from the 4P F connector on the Omega module to the 3P connector on the Easyguard. Same for the 6P and 10P, all good. I even cut the brake pedal wire that we spliced into the brake switch and hooked straight in, like the manual says (for a 5 sec push), and still no luck. It seems like something along the line never sends the signal to the car to actually crank. Also noticed that I can't even get into accessory mode either(foot off the brake).

Going to double check my wiring to make sure. Could I ask you to do the same? Perhaps a last minute switch or change-out might not have gotten recorded. Just double checked the config on the Omega module and it seems ok as well.

One more thing that occurred to me. Did you zip tie the yellow interlock plug at all like ulyssefreak1 did on his job, or did you just zip tie it to keep it out of the way? I can't help but think that the transponder needs to be involved at this level, but i have the factory key on me during all these tests.
Old 01-21-2019
Basic Member

Another thing I noticed, when going through the programming steps for the Omega module. One of the steps says that the led should go solid red, but it never does. Also after setting the programming style (hardwire or data), my module starts flashing red, which according to the troubleshooting points to "missing or wrong information from firmware or vehicle." Did you run into that when you flashed? (I realize that was ages ago)
Old 01-21-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

i feel like the problem is with the Omega more than the Easyguard in your case. especially if you're getting a flashing red light at some point on it... currently when i start the rig or turn it "on" with the Easyguard, the Omega blinks slow green, i think 9 times, then repeats over and over again. it never blinks red.

you might try "FACTORY RESET PROCEDURE" on page 19 from that Omega PDF. then re-do the PC flashing and then also re-do the mode selection & programming procedures. be sure you're picking "hardwire" during both the PC flash and then the mode selection too. be sure you picked your vehicle year/make/model correctly during the PC flash too, and that you don't disconnect it till you get the green success/finished msg in your browser.

i do remember that when i did "INSTALLATION MODE SELECTION" from page 18, step #2 worked correctly where it did go solid green for just a second and then the light turned off completely. at that point i was able to do the programming procedure.

however, when i did "TYPE 1-4 & 6-8 - MODULE PROGRAMMING PROCEDURE" from page 18, i don't remember step #3 where it was supposed to go solid red. it may have just flashed red for a split second, but i seemed to remember it going right into step #4 where it blinks green and then i continued and everything worked.