Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 01-30-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
some photos from the holiday party and the little camp out a few of us had afterwards...

i love this photo of Diane and I giving each other a hard time:

another photo taken by Kaspily. that's johnpa explaining the ways of the world to defectivemonk and myself.

here's all the campers' rigs except mine... defectivemonk took a little hike to get this shot. that's his fancy new Ursa Minor equipped JKU in these last 2 shots (the pop-top).

and yes we camped in a canyon - there was no chance of rain pretty much statewide, but yeah still not the smartest thing

Old 01-31-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
i noticed the rear brake lines are rubbing against the shocks enough to start wearing through the rubber.

i just zip-tied a layer of fuel line over them for now. i'll probably have a different lift and need longer lines by the time that wears through.

Old 01-31-2018
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Fuel line huh? I used plastic conduit for my passenger brake line up front. Great idea.
Old 02-01-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

i just realized that my past 4 vehicles have not only been Mopar powered, but were all the last or second-to-last year of their kind...

2003 4-door Dodge Dakota SLT 4.7L ("2nd gen" body style ended in 2004)
2001 XJ Limited 4.0L (final year of the XJ)
2003 WJ Limited 4.7L (WJ's ended in 2004)
2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L (JK's ended in 2017)
Old 02-04-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

thanks to Sarah (Kaspily) for these photos of Gadget from yesterday's exploratory trip near Cleator.

Old 02-07-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

i ordered a Teraflex High Angle CV/Rzeppa to replace the joint on the t-case end of the front driveshaft. with 3+ inches of lift and heavy wheeling, i knew it was just a matter of time before the factory boot was destroyed.

this is why it's important to always spend a little time under your rig just checking things out after each wheeling trip!

i finally got around to mounting my Fiskars X25 Splitting Axe... had to trim about a 1/2" off the end of the handle to make it just barely fit with the shovel beside it!

i used another Quickfist and a FrontRunner Ratcheting Shovel Mount at the wider part of the handle.
Old 02-09-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

this thing was toast! i hadn't realized the boot was completely destroyed till it had lost pretty much all the grease and started with the little birds chirping. then i continued to drive with it all week while waiting for the Teraflex high-angle replacement.

the newness, all greased up:

a $12 banding tool made easy work of clamping the boot. pliers can work too, i just like having the right tool for the job when possible.
Old 02-10-2018
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Nice find on the banding tool Kris. If it does the job for $12 it’s a steal. Thanks for the link!
Old 02-12-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

random photo of Gadget peeking through the pines (thanks Sarah)!

Old 02-14-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

made progress on some new mounts for CB/ham antennas and a third brake light. the 2 antenna mounts i had from Evo didn't work well with the Teraflex tire carrier.