Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 06-25-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Weather Sunny HotHead Headliners Review
Aimee gave me a set of HotHead Headliners for my 2016 4-door JK Unlimited for father's day (I know, she rocks!). I had been wanting some since last summer. The order showed up this week which was perfect since we hit 119* on Tuesday here in Phoenix!

When I first did some research on this type of product, the HotHead brand seemed to be the undisputed highest quality option. I can say first hand now that they are indeed quite nice. Not only that, but after emailing Mark (the owner over there) with a couple questions, it's obvious that he is completely dedicated to having the best customer service possible.

Here's a quick video from Mark showing how the HotHead brand is constructed compared to a couple other options (note that the current version also includes a radiant heat barrier):

You can read all the positive reviews and testimonials on their website as well as get plenty of product info, so I'll just give a list of my impressions thus far:
  • Heat Reduction: Definately a big improvement, I no longer feel the heat just pouring through the thin factory top onto my head. The A/C can actually catch up after a while now as well. In the past, once the temps outside hit above 105*, it just seemed that interior never could really cool down.

I think the radiant heat barrier (foil) is a big factor for why these work. I only found one other competitor offering that feature, and their product didn't look nearly as nice to me.

• Noise Reduction: There's a claimed 3 to 6 decibel reduction in ambient noise (from tires, other cars, etc.). I can't say for sure on this, most folks can't even consistently detect a 3db increase or decrease. I'm sure that there was an improvement, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend them if this is you only concern.

• Improved Acoustics: I didn't do any RTA on the sound before and after installation, so again I'm not certain how they affected the stereo's performance. I did notice that there's less of an echo inside and it *seems* like the factory Alpine system's mid-range is more pronounced than before.

• Aesthetic: I went with the lightest color (oxford grey) to keep a more open feel inside. I've been in a rig with the black ones installed and it looked very nice as they matched the roll bars and other trim, but the dark color made the interior feel a little smaller.

The fit and finish of these is just perfect. Each panel is wrapped in a real foam-backed headliner material and so they look just like what you'd see in a typical nice car and make for a more "finished" appearance in the Jeep.

• Installation: Install was fairly quick and very easy. You do a little surface prep and then they just stick on. The 4-door hard-top version comes in 4 pieces and there's no need to remove the factory top or even the sound bar. Be sure to watch the videos and follow the simple instructions.

There's been a minor glue smell for a few days, but it's fading quickly and isn't particularly noxious (smells like contact cement).

Even though they should never come loose on their own, they are removable and reusable with some minor effort (see the last video on this page...). This was a concern for me as I'll likely one day install a roof rack that mounts through the hard-top. When I emailed Mark about this before my order shipped, he even offered to custom cut my panels to fit around whatever brackets I needed! I didn't take him up on it only because I haven't completely decided on which rack.

The HotHead Headliners stand above the competition in terms of overall build quality and attention to small details. I doubt that I'll ever have any problem with these, but I'm sure Mark will take care of it 100% if I do. Check out https://hotheadheadliners.com for more info - they make them for all Wranglers from a YJ on up, and have soft-top versions as well.

Old 06-26-2017
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Default Re: HotHead Headliners Review
Nice review Kris.
It sounds like the customer service you experienced would make this product the logical choice.
Old 02-11-2018
(Dan) (KJ7DAN)
Forum Vendor

Vehicle: Jeep JK Rubi Ultd 2013
Hi Kris,

I'm getting the same headliners for Ruby as well. I even went with the same color as you did - same reasoning.

Quick question: have you went with the Sound Assassin strips as well? I intend to heat/sound proof the floor as well. I went for 50 mil Dynamat and some 315 mil Dynapad (both clones off Amazon). Haven't got them yet tough.

Need a CB, HAM, Mic, Accessory Mount for your Jeep?

Visit our Online Store and follow us on Instagram, Facebook and/or Twitter

Last edited by JeepUniq; 02-11-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
i didn't spring for the sound strips, i was mainly just looking to help the inside cool down faster with the A/C in the summers.
Old 02-11-2018
(Dan) (KJ7DAN)
Forum Vendor

Vehicle: Jeep JK Rubi Ultd 2013
As an observation: when I had my roof rack configured for full roof length I never felt the need to add insulation to the roof. Once I reconfigured the roof rack to 2/3, and the area where the Freedom panels are where not shaded by the rack anymore, I started feeling the roof radiating heat in the summer.

I'm glad to hear that you're happy w/ them.

Need a CB, HAM, Mic, Accessory Mount for your Jeep?

Visit our Online Store and follow us on Instagram, Facebook and/or Twitter
Old 02-12-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

that's interesting about the rack Dan, and good to know since i do want a rack eventually.

when i was at SEMA a couple years ago, i asked AEV why their rack has natural aluminum colored slats instead of black like pretty much every other company. they said that in their own tests, they saw a noticeable in-cabin temperature difference between the colors, so they went with function over form.

so i guess having a rack, painting it a light color, and installing some headliners would be the optimum ways to reduce heat! i plan to still get a black rack though