Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 04-15-2018
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Default Re: Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
What a great reward for straight A's! He's been wanting to take the doors and top of since you got her. Crazy watching him get so big - weird he can reach the pedals! Seems like a couple months ago he was on your lap steering Lafawndah.
Old 04-15-2018
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Cool pic! They grow up fast, don’t blink
Old 04-17-2018
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Great grades B!
Old 04-23-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
photos from the Anza-Borrego trip here: https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5405

a couple of Gadget and myself at the Carrizo Badlands overlook:

Old 04-23-2018
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
The JK is looking good Kris.

Looks like you’re running a backpack on the spare instead of the standard Trasharoo.
I’ve thought about mounting my old “bombproof” aka heavy, backpack since I’m not really impressed with the quality of the Trasharoo I bought a few years ago.

Last edited by jgaz; 04-23-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-23-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by jgaz View Post
The JK is looking good Kris.

Looks like you’re running a backpack on the spare instead of the standard Trasharoo.
I’ve thought about mounting my old “bombproof” aka heavy, backpack since I’m not really impressed with the quality of the Trasharoo I bought a few years ago.

thanks Jim!

yes, i'm using a cheap 80L chinese hiking pack i got from Amazon for trash... i found the Trasharoo just too darn big for most of my shorter solo trips.

i tend to try and produce as little trash as possible and compact everything as i go, so the 80L works for the amount i create in about 5 days max.

i use these 3 gallon trash bags with it and can fit maybe 4 to 5 of them full into the backpack. i like to use the small bags so that every time i open it i don't have to smell yesterdays trash that's been baking in the sun. i know, i'm high maintenance! they are also easier to dispose of at gas station trash cans instead of trying to find a dumpster to throw away one large bag.

Last edited by theksmith; 04-25-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-25-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

so on my way to Anza there were 40mph gusts from Yuma on out... my windshield got really pitted from being sandblasted crossing the dunes area. then near El Centro, a the wind caused a semi to lose a bunch of bails hay right as i was passing him. i only had a second to react and it scared the crap out of me!

i ended up in the median and got out to look at the damage. the car behind me ended up stopped in the fast lane with a bent up hood. as soon as i saw him, i got back in and backed off the hay and got off the freeway quickly thinking someone might try to avoid that other car and end up hitting me.

i was a little worried at first because the Jeep made a bunch of racket getting to the exit (which was really close), but it turned out to just be a bunch of bailing twine wrapped around the driveshafts! everything underneath looked ok and it still drove straight.

so thankfully, the bumper did it's job and absorbed all of the impact. i did lose my little stubby end cap though.

i just need to use a BFH to push that metal back into place so the plastic shield below it will sit level again (and order new bumper wings).

Last edited by theksmith; 04-25-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-25-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

some more photos from Anza-Borrego thanks to Kaspily and dzJeepChic...

Old 05-20-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Tow Truck Re: Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
there was some hail here early in the month - small stuff and no damage or anything. kinda hard to believe it though since the whole state is practically shut down due to wildfire potential right now.

we recently switched from American Family to Progressive insurance and so I didn't know what to expect from them, but they did take care of the "sandblasted" windshield and replaced it with factory Mopar Rubicon glass (we have the zero-deductible glass coverage).

however, the Safelite install guy used my door sills as his step-ladder and his work boots ruined the stick-on rubber protectors i had.

i think i'll finally order the real Mopar plastic guards since they've come down in price recently (i guess because the JL has been out a little while now).

we also had some really windy days recently, which i figured was a perfect time to open her up and use the compressor to blow out dust from all the crevices again.

i installed a BOLT hood lock for security and to help stop the infamous Wrangler hood "flutter". i like that it keys itself to your ignition key, but overall i don't like the look. i got this instead of a locking replacement latch set because they all have really mixed reviews.

instead of getting a different grill with the round cutout for this, i just modified my current one by opening up as small of a hole as possible for the key to fit through.

you can see the chrome of the lock from a mile away (see the photo below), so i really am not happy with what it did to the overall appearance. i'll give it some time to see if it still bothers me in a few months before i try something different.

i came across this lone blooming tree while exploring an area near Castle Hot Springs Road and thought it was photo-worthy.

i was still having trouble with my exhaust rattling against the aftermarket engine/trans skid because i used the typical spacers to make room for driveshaft droop. they move the exhaust back and down too much IMO. the best fix is probably an aftermarket smaller diameter driveshaft and ditch the spacers, but that will have to wait.

instead, i did removed the spacers but then installed a Dynomax/Tenneco mid-pipe with a drop that should leave enough clearance for the driveshaft, but doesn't rattle against the skid. you can see below that there's a little room between it and the skid now.

that pipe replaced a section of the factory mid-pipe - here's the part that came out (along with the spacers i removed).

i hate those crappy u-bolt clamps the kit came with. they crease the pipe and make it hard to get apart again. so i bought a couple stainless strap style clamps to use.

oh, and i finally got the new stubby bumper end-caps to replace the one i lost in that hay-truck incident!
Old 05-20-2018
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Looking good K! Good to hear your new insurance co. covered the sand blasted windshield.