Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 02-04-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Tow Truck 2018-02-03 - Exploring near Cleator, AZ
yesterday's exploratory run had its share of missteps... but it was still good to get out with friends and enjoy the nice weather!

we started out at the Swastika Mine. it's spread out around the side of a fairly steep hill. there are some footings and part of a building easily visible as you climb the hill.

there's a great view from that spot looking back down towards Black Canyon City.

i started to check out the first adit you pass, but it was full of large flies and so i came right back out!

then we found the lower adit, which has a large circle opening. the tunnel floor is flooded with several inches of water on that level, so we didn't enter it.

there's a post over on VJC with some photos from inside other adits, apparently the tunnel structure is quite large and you can explore for a long time if you're willing to climb some ladders.

then we planned to circle back in a round-about way to the Desoto and Blue Belle mines, but ran into the area closed after the Goodwin fire, so we had to back-track about 45 minutes.

that put us back at a great shady spot for lunch though! we decided we were all done "exploring" and so we'd run the wash trail from Cleator to Mayer to finish the day with a little moderate rock crawling.

but... just a ways before we got to back to Cleator on the main road, Scott came over the radio saying "i've got a problem back here"... it turned out his water pump pulley was about ready to launch into space - wobble-wobble-grind-grind-wobble!

Chris & Sarah were nice enough to not only tow Scott back to the I-17, but also take Gary (Scott's new puppy) down to his house for him.

we used my AAA membership to get him a tow and Scott & Shelly rode with me back to his house. we had to sit around for a little over an hour waiting for the tow truck - but of course it showed up just as we took out our chairs to get comfortable.

thanks to Kevin for hanging out with us for moral support the whole time too!

Scott was a little worried about seeing his rig again because the driver had to pick up another vehicle and flat-tow it to Chandler before circling back to drop off his XJ. however, i got a txt later with this photo, so i guess it made it home OK.

things don't always go as as planned, but at Offroad Passport we never leave a man behind! thanks to everyone for helping out and also for just going-with-the-flow on our multiple dead-end exploratory routes.
Old 02-05-2018
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Default Re: 2018-02-03 - Exploring near Cleator, AZ
It was a fun day and happy to help Scott out. Madchen only gave the "stink-eye" a bit to Gary as the cute puppy took over her dog bed on the way home!

Link to my album. https://photos.app.goo.gl/UvlXuyFZpM0Bu9u63

Favorite photos from the day.

After the strap broke:

Old 02-05-2018
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Chris & Sarah towed me all the way from Cleator back to the 17 without even a gripe, except maybe from Madchen. Much obliged!
They even stopped mid-tow to offer someone else assistance who was stopped along the trail.

Kris offered me a free tow from his AAA, thanks a million K. Now I owe you one

Also have to thank Kevin for hanging out while we waited to get my busted junk home..
We were coming down a very steep hill after 'splorin & I could smell my brakes were hot. I could also hear a grinding noise like a rock stuck in my brake caliper. This time Shelley heard it too, "should we stop & check it out?" But I could see the flat road to Cleator 100 yards up ahead. When we got to the road & stopped to regroup the noise did not. I popped my hood to inspect & noticed the water pump pulley doing a hula dance.

With two feet on the brake pedal & two hands muscling the steering wheel, we made it back. Windows down

When following the tow truck back down the 17 I noticed my Jeep looked a lot like Pig Pen from the Peanuts. Theft recovery anyone?

Attached Images:
File Type: jpg IMG_4148.jpg (114.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4149.jpg (118.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4151.jpg (123.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4152.jpg (147.6 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by scottL; 02-05-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2018
(George)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: Number 7
Clean the engine before the water pump install.
4:88 Gears / Super 35 Rear
Dana 30 Front w/ Warn Hubs
TeraLow 4:1 T-Case
OX Lockers

Every Dog Has His Day!
Old 02-06-2018
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ Wrangler
Way to go guys!!! Leave no man behind! Good job!
smiles, karen