Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb anyone using tool rolls?
for some reason i never considered using a tool roll to help store and organize my trail tools before. honestly i'm not sure what i had against the idea.

recently i was re-organizing my supplies (yet again), and decided a tool roll might work well for most of the hand-tools.

i know there are some really nice hand-made rolls available that a few overland folks swear by, but i went for inexpensive since i wasn't sure if i'd even like the idea. i purchased a Dickies Work Gear 57006 Large Wrench Roll from Amazon for about $13. i would consider it medium-duty, which should be fine for my purpose.

i like that it has the flaps on each side to keep tools from dropping out when it's rolled up. this one also comes in all black or all white in addition to the tan/gray color i went with.

my only complaint was that it came with "shoe strings" instead of straps with clips to hold it closed. this turned out to be ok once i tied the strings at the ends and added some of those little plastic cord-lock thingies.

it just barely fits in one of my smaller Pelican/Storm cases along with a full combination wrench and socket collection. the roll doesn't really take up much more room than just having loose tools. of course it doesn't let them rattle against each other either - which is a big plus!

it took me a few tries to organize it in a way that all the tools i wanted would fit. i think i need to write the tool name on each pocket in Sharpie now... otherwise if i take several out at the same time, i may never get them organized to fit again!

is anyone else using wrench or tool rolls for their trail kits? which brand did you go with?