Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 03-28-2019
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Default Fossil Creek Proposed Actions and Comment Period
SAVE FOSSIL CREEK! Sorry for the late notice, I just saw this on another page. The first part of this post is mine, the original is down below.

If you are familiar with the Fossil springs area, then you know how beautiful it is and how popular it has become. the forest service is taking comments on proposed actions (link below) until April 4, only 8 days from now.

If you care about access to this beautiful area, then you need to let your voice be heard. Send your comments to: Via email to: “comments-southwestern-coconino-redrock@fs.fed.us” (include Fossil Creek CRMP in the subject line).
Via Mail: Coconino National Forest Attention: Fossil Creek CRMP P.O. Box 20429 Sedona, AZ 86301.
By fax: (928)203-7539.
In person: Red Rock Ranger District 8375 State Route 179 Sedona, AZ 8635

The forest service is in favor of option E, I lean towards A or B. Please read the options and choose the one you believe is best.
Link to options: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Int…/FSE_DOC...d606582.pdf…

You can offer your own alternatives as well combine aspects from all the options.

Copied from another group:
The fate of Fossil Creek will be decided this year and you have a say in it!

Below, I mention where and how to send your comments and then I give some backstory to fill you all in on what’s going on.

A couple weeks ago I attended the last public meeting for the Fossil Creek Comprehensive River Management Plan (CRMP). Because of the recent government shutdown, the LAST public comment period has been extended to April 4, 2019. That is one month from TODAY, March 4, 2019. When submitting comments, try to be specific and support with references. Be solution oriented.

Comments can be submitted:
Via email to: “comments-southwestern-coconino-redrock@fs.fed.us” (include Fossil Creek CRMP in the subject line).
Via Mail: Coconino National Forest Attention: Fossil Creek CRMP P.O. Box 20429 Sedona, AZ 86301.
By fax: (928)203-7539.
In person: Red Rock Ranger District 8375 State Route 179 Sedona, AZ 86351.

Fossil Creek was designated a Wild and Scenic River by Congress back in 2009. Because of that, the United States Forest Service has to legally protect and “enhance” the area. The alternative that gets chosen will govern the area for 15-20 YEARS. This is why your opinion and comments are needed!

There are now 6 alternatives, A-F. I have no clue why Alternative A is even a thing because it’s “No Action”, and action apparently has to be taken. My favorite Alternative is “B” BECAUSE it is the option that keeps Fossil the most as it already is. Alternative B keeps access to the historic dam site, as well as the springs. Alternative B has minimal development of new facilities and infrastructure. For me, Fossil Creek IS the historic dam and springs. I’m not about to let that get taken away from me, and if that’s something you like about the area, neither should you. Other options seek to destroy the trails and potentially build lookout points, prohibiting access to an area that I, myself, and others, love to responsibly recreate in.

You can read about all the alternates at this link here. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Inte…/FSE_DO...eprd606582.pdf

If anyone has any questions about anything, please don’t hesitate to personally message me. Please don’t sit around and do nothing. I’ve been one of the few voices, volunteering my time for us hikers regarding Fossil Creek since 2016. I need your help. I can’t do it alone! Do your research, educate yourself and send in your comments on or before April 4, 2019! When sending your comments, you CAN combine elements from multiple alternatives. A combination of alternatives is possible when the final decision is made. This is your civic duty, a chance to make a difference on a local level. Use your voice! #SAVEFOSSIL
Old 03-29-2019
(Marcus)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota FJC
Default Re: Fossil Creek Proposed Actions and Comment Period
I miss the old Fossil Creek where the flume ran across the desert and dumped out the water near the Childs power plant. It made a great swimming hole.