Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 04-01-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb anyone using tool rolls?
for some reason i never considered using a tool roll to help store and organize my trail tools before. honestly i'm not sure what i had against the idea.

recently i was re-organizing my supplies (yet again), and decided a tool roll might work well for most of the hand-tools.

i know there are some really nice hand-made rolls available that a few overland folks swear by, but i went for inexpensive since i wasn't sure if i'd even like the idea. i purchased a Dickies Work Gear 57006 Large Wrench Roll from Amazon for about $13. i would consider it medium-duty, which should be fine for my purpose.

i like that it has the flaps on each side to keep tools from dropping out when it's rolled up. this one also comes in all black or all white in addition to the tan/gray color i went with.

my only complaint was that it came with "shoe strings" instead of straps with clips to hold it closed. this turned out to be ok once i tied the strings at the ends and added some of those little plastic cord-lock thingies.

it just barely fits in one of my smaller Pelican/Storm cases along with a full combination wrench and socket collection. the roll doesn't really take up much more room than just having loose tools. of course it doesn't let them rattle against each other either - which is a big plus!

it took me a few tries to organize it in a way that all the tools i wanted would fit. i think i need to write the tool name on each pocket in Sharpie now... otherwise if i take several out at the same time, i may never get them organized to fit again!

is anyone else using wrench or tool rolls for their trail kits? which brand did you go with?
Old 04-01-2017
(Roy)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
Default Re: anyone using tool rolls?
I have used a roll up for several years now and love them. I like the idea that the tools are not rattling around and the roll will fit in a cubby hole that a hard case will not.
Old 04-01-2017
(Steve) (KG7EWF)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
yup... Agree with Roy...
Old 04-02-2017
(Loren)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
I have a couple for my open end wrenches. Had them for about 25 years now.
Old 04-02-2017
(Leigh)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2016 Jeep Cherokee 75th Anniversary Edition & 95 XJ
I was just looking for one yesterday. Thanks for the recommendation on this one. Thank G-d for Amazon....and Brown Santa will probably be at our door every day this week.
Old 04-02-2017
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Default Anyone using tool rolls?
Here's mine

https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4516

Kris, it doesn't show in the picture in the above thread but my wife used a strap and buckle when she made mine.

image.jpg

My lovely seamstress said she would be glad to add something similar to yours if you want. It makes it a lot easier to grab the roll out of where ever you have the roll stashed. I did notice yours has a pretty nice handle attached. Looks like yours is well worth $13!

My wrenches are stored in a 30 year old Craftsman vinyl wrench roll. I bet they don't make them like it anymore.
Old 04-02-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jgaz View Post
Here's mine

Kris, it doesn't show in the picture in the above thread but my wife used a strap and buckle when she made mine.

Attachment 3142

My lovely seamstress said she would be glad to add something similar to yours if you want. It makes it a lot easier to grab the roll out of where ever you have the roll stashed. I did notice yours has a pretty nice handle attached. Looks like yours is well worth $13!

My wrenches are stored in a 30 year old Craftsman vinyl wrench roll. I bet they don't make them like it anymore.
nice! i want to learn to sew at some point... don't have the need very often, but there have been a few ideas that never materialized because i didn't have that knowledge in my toolbox.
Old 04-03-2017
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2005 Jeep LJ
I just bought a couple from amazon and found the Carhart to be really well made and useful, the CLC not so good.
Old 04-03-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Elkpakr View Post
I just bought a couple from amazon and found the Carhart to be really well made and useful, the CLC not so good.
good to know!

i looked at the Carhartt and the Bucket Boss too... they actually both look a little more heavy duty than the one i got. the design of the Dickies made more sense for my particular use though.
Old 05-10-2019
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
I know this thread is over two years old but a friend just sent me a link to this company. They have some interesting tool rolls at really decent prices.

https://www.toolpak.com/html/ROLL14pockettoolroll.html

FWIW, I showed the above product to my wife. She sewed my tool roll shown in this thread.

Her response was, “I wouldn’t get out my sewing machine to make that for $12.56!”