Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 08-29-2013
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Radio UltraGauge - inexpensive flexible tool for OBD2
came across this recently, the UltraGauge: http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

i use a usb or bluetooth device and some software on my tablet or phone as a scan tool, but this might be another great simpler route to take. at $60, it's much cheaper than the comparable ScanGuage, but still seems a lot more capable than your typical eBay/Autozone "code reader".

if you want to know more about OBDII, check out my mini-article here: "Being Prepared... The Check Engine Light, OBD 2, and Trouble Codes"...
Old 08-29-2013
(Rusty)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Default Re: UltraGauge - inexpensive flexible tool for OBD2
I've been looking at that for months now. I need to just go ahead and bite the bullet and order it. I really like that you can monitor anything that the computer has access to, customize the screens, and (the best part) set alarms on it. For instance, if coolant temp gets higher than X degrees, it'll beep at you to let you know.
Raceline beadlocks w/37" KM2's
Custom 4-link front and rear
ORI STX struts 14" front 12" rear
Lots of cutting
Old 08-29-2013
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Thanks for posting, Kris. That looks much better than my Aeroforce Gauge, I am using.
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 4'' Coilover Lift, 40'' Toyo MT, UD60´s front and rear axle, Warn winch, Genright front bumper, TNT Customs rock sliders, Rockhard underbody protection, CB, 5.7 l VVT Hemi....
Old 08-30-2013
(Roy)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
Checked this out and found that about the only thing my Superchips Dash does that this one doesn't is checking transmission temp. It is a whole lot cheaper than the dash.
Old 09-04-2013
(Rusty)
Basic Member

Are you sure it can't access tranny temp?
Lots of cutting
Old 09-05-2013
(Roy)
Premium Club Member

Originally Posted by Russell84 View Post
Are you sure it can't access tranny temp?
From their site: UltraGauge EM can display 76+ possible gauges*. Gauge selection is completely customizable. The actually gauges available are vehicle dependent. If your vehicle supports any of the gauges listed, then the gauge will be available for display by UltraGauge.
UltraGauge currently does not support Manufacturer specific gauges such as Transmission temperature
Old 09-05-2013
(Rusty)
Basic Member

Bummer. I overlooked that on their site. That's one of the main ones I wanted to be able to monitor, but I guess it's not a huge deal since I don't normally tow anything larger than my 5x8 utility trailer or my jetski. Although I was curious the entire drive here how hot my tranny was running. Would have been nice to compare temps in and out of OD. I might just wire in an external tranny temp gauge like I did on my old rig. Took about an hour total and was great for peace of mind while towing.
Lots of cutting
Old 09-06-2013
(Roy)
Premium Club Member

I agree on the tranny temp gauge. It and engine temp are the primary gauges I use on my superchips. After seeing what my tranny temps were running, I put an aux. cooler on the JK. Don't like waiting to get an alarm that, who knows, what it is actually set at.
Old 09-17-2013
(Cam) (KG7SWF)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Yellow hardtop)
I did a run a few weeks ago in Bulldog Canyon that ended with a Check Engine light (although everything seemed to be running fine). Before I got it checked, I saw theksmith's note about Ultragauge and picked up one of those. Short term I wanted it for reading the OBDII code (I seem to get Check Engine warnings every few months, annoyingly enough) and resetting the light, but it also looked like it would add a few useful gauges for me: instant MPG, gallons/hour, miles to empty and many variations of these that would all help me feel more comfortable with my fuel-hungry LJ. The Ultragauge turned out to be pretty much as advertised. Really easy to install and setup. (Since you just plug it in, route the wire, and select the gauges to display). The only thing it didn't do was turn off the Check Engine light. It tries, but apparently 2006 Wranglers, at least, ignore the signal and reset the light when they're ready.

The instant MPG has been great to get a better understanding of how to manage acceleration and top speed for the best mileage (big difference for me between 45 and 50 mph, for example; I get about 20 MPG at 45 MPH, but it drops to 17MPG or less at 50 MPH).

Turns out the code causing my Check Engine light was P0303, "misfire in cylinder 3". That's often correlated with a heat-soaked engine that vaporizes the fuel in #3 fuel injector. That sounded about right...it was so hot that day that I couldn't open the hood without gloves by the end of the run, and my compressor was too hot to handle after airing up. At any rate, it self-corrected, so no big deal. And the light turned itself off a couple days ago. There's a $6 fix for this issue...a heat shield you can pick up from a Jeep dealer. I'll do that soon.