Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 10-09-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Default Re: Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
a couple weekends ago i led a 1 night trip up near Globe to overlook the Salt River, see some old mine ruins, and camp next to a very scenic canyon.

photos: https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5136

Last edited by theksmith; 10-09-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-09-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

i also recently constructed a simple mounting system to hold my 60" Hi-Lift Jack on the Front-Runner cargo shelf...

i had been holding off on this because the shelf already had quite a bit of side-to-side "jiggle" on bumpy roads... i was worried adding the additional weight of the Hi-Lift might make it worse, or at the least cause the jack to rattle incessantly. the shelf supports have a "C" shape and lack boxed ends, so i had planned to add some angled cross braces on those ends as a fix.

turns out i was over-thinking things. i was actually able to make some mounting brackets for the jack that also stabilized the shelf...

the bracket above is just a piece of 3/4" square aluminum tubing (painted), with screws placed so that it can attach to the Front-Runner shelf's built-in nut-slots. then there's a bolt sticking up with a knob to hold down one end of the Hi-Lift.

i used one of these on each end of the shelf, up against the outside of the Jeep's factory roll-bar, which wedges the shelf in place... it can no longer shake side-to-side.

i had to double up the width on one side in order for the stud to line up with a hole in the jack and still wedge the bracket against the roll-bar.

the jack can be removed easily by unscrewing the 2 knobs, folding forward either side of the back seat and pulling it out through a back door.

i used 3/4" for the brackets so that jack's lifting section is forced against the shelf and doesn't rattle. the Day Star isolator takes care of keeping the handle quiet as well.

this setup has survived 3 trips now without incident, so i think it's good!
Old 11-19-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Tow Truck Re: Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
i seem to have accumulated a task list for the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend...
  1. i bent my cheap engine/tranny skid plate during the Red Creek trip and now it's rattling against the exhaust. the pipe was already very close to the skid after adding the required spacers during the lift-kit install. i'm going to have to add some spacers to the skid or notch it out.

2. my Kenwood ham radio (TM-V71A) has been intermittently not transmitting when i press the PTT button. sometimes it beeps, sometimes it just doesn't transmit, and sometimes it works! a quick search of the internets says there are several common issues with the mic or cable.

i don't want to mess around with it right now, so i'll just head over to the Ham Radio Outlet tomorrow and get an entire new MC-59 mic & cable replacement... and hope that solves it!

3. the CB also started acting up on the last trip, not transmitting very far or loud. i traced it down this weekend and found my antenna cable routing from the rear door to the interior has too tight of a bend and over time it caused an internal short in the coax.

the cable for the ham antenna routes the same way but didn't happen to get short or open yet. i went ahead and ordered new cables for both radios but not looking forward to taking a quarter of the interior apart to change them.

4. i've got a new ticking/rattle coming from somewhere in the back of the rig when on bumpy roads - and it's driving me insane! unfortunately i've added and changed several things in the cargo area recently so i'm not sure which one isn't up-to-snuff.

i'll have to start removing those recent mods one at a time to find the noise since shaking and pounding on everything back there while parked didn't reveal the culprit!

5. ...and one tire has a slow leak!

Last edited by theksmith; 11-20-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 11-23-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Thumbs up Re: Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
a new mic seems to have fixed the ham radio, but $50 - ouch Kenwood!

did some rattle/squeak chasing tonight and eliminated 2 minor ones but still hunting the more annoying one.

in other news...

below are a couple of my favorite shots from our recent Red Creek trip.
more photos and a trip report here: https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5250

Old 11-23-2017
Basic Member

Vehicle: 1997 Jeep xj
Great pics, can't wait to do more exploring out that way..
Old 11-28-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

this weekend a few of us went up near Wickenburg for a day run and a night by the campfire, trip report here...

my end of camp (photo thanks to Sarah):

Old 11-28-2017
Basic Member

Vehicle: 1997 Jeep xj
This is the kinda stuff me and the wife want to do in the future, you gotta take us out when we roll through your town..
Old 11-28-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by jonb8 View Post
This is the kinda stuff me and the wife want to do in the future, you gotta take us out when we roll through your town..
sure! maybe you can line up a visit with one of our official trips. otherwise just post a heads up on the forum before you come and i'm sure somebody will be able to do a run with you... there's no shortage of awesome places to explore out west, that's for certain!
Old 11-30-2017
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Love that picture Sarah took of Gadget at dawn.
Old 12-05-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Tow Truck Re: Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
exhaust rattle fixed

fixed the exhaust/skid plate rattle. it turned out the skid plate wasn't bent but i crunched my factory transmission crossmember even more which lifted up the skid to where it would just touch the exhaust. i'll have to eventually get a beefier replacement crossmember, probably the Synergy one.

for now i added a spacer to put the skid back to the level it should be and also cut a small triangle out of the skid right where it was rubbing.

stained the slide out shelf

i realized i'd have to oil the bamboo cutting board way too often in or to keep it protected, and i've not been keeping up on that. so i decided to at least stain the wood to offer a little protection for wet cups being placed on it and such.

i used both of these stains that i already had. the gray went on first, then the ebony. i did only one coat of each and wiped off immediately after covering an entire side.

overall i think it came out ok.

new antenna cables

i mentioned before my CB antenna cable had an internal short... once i removed the old cables, it found that both it and the ham one were split open at one of the bends where the cables went from the tailgate into the cabin.

the top cable bundle in this photo is how i had them run before, the bends were too tight when the gate closed:

here's the new way i ran them. there's still a somewhat tight bend coming out of the tailgate itself, but not as bad as before and then the rest are all large radius.

i went with some fancy custom LMR-240 UltraFlex cables from MPD Digital. it actually doesn't feel as flexible as Belden RG-8x, but is supposedly high quality stuff and has less signal loss, especially at the higher ham frequencies. i'll probably never notice a difference, but i thought i'd try something new since i wanted slightly longer cables anyway.

i'd recommend this Wilson 305-830 cable assembly for most people. it has an FME connector at one end which is just barely larger than the cable itself so you can route it easily. then you screw on the included FME to PL-259 adapter in order to connect it to your CB or ham radio. i had my custom cables made up the same way.

moved air quick connect

in that last photo, you might have noticed i move my air port from over in the corner pointing up to beside the drawer. i'm considering mounting my recently purchased Fiskars X27 axe along the edge of the shelf (similar to my shovel mount), with the head hanging down in that corner.

FYI - those tabs are just CB antenna brackets i already had, something along the lines of this: http://amzn.to/2im9RzL

Last edited by theksmith; 12-05-2017 at 10:36 AM.