Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 12-05-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Default Re: 99 XJ - Aka "Sandy"
is that a common failure?
Old 12-05-2017
(Jason)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 99 XJ Sport
Very common from what Ive been reading for days!

Folks say its a mechanics dream since they can immediately say it needs a rebuild.
Old 12-05-2017
Basic Member

Vehicle: 1997 Jeep xj
Yea very common, I've bought alot of xj's were people thought the motor was knocking but was either loose torque converter bolts or cracked flexplate..
Old 01-23-2018
(Jason)
Premium Club Member

Ordered and installed a 62mm bored out TB from strokedjeep.com. He basically removes the lower section that tapers down, making it 62mm straight through. Apparently the later xj manifold ports are also 62mm.

I have a new intake tube coming as well, that should also smooth out the delivery of air I suppose.

Sent my old one back for the core deposit and received my refund day of delivery.

So far I notice crazy throttle response. I still have to get the hang of the sensitivity, Im jerking from a dead stop if I dont push the pedal just right. I think my mpg went up a little too.

In my mind this mod will be most beneficial in the higher RPMs. Im hoping this will help with pulling our teardop up north and up long grades. She gets a little sluggish at times loaded up.

20180123_130836 by Jason Montes, on Flickr
Old 01-24-2018
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Nice. Did it come painted like that?
I have a 63mm throttle body w/ CAI on mine and still use the factory intake tube.

After installing I noticed that I barely needed to apply pressure to the gas pedal to get it moving compared to stock TB and could hear a slight whistle like a supercharger while maintaining cruising speeds. I like the whistle. Reminds me of my other car. My Jeep also has a programmer PCM chip, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Post a pic of your intake tube after you get it installed. I'd love to see what you got and how it fits.
Old 01-24-2018
(Jason)
Premium Club Member

I prepped and painted it myself with etching primer and high temp paint.

Yes! Very little pressure needed to get going! I think this is why my mpg seem to have gone up.

But at the same time I also cut out and replaced my ECT sensor pigtail. It wasnt reading correctly and was causing Sandy to run rich. So its probably a combination of the 2 mods.

Only other mods to engine I have are:
-4 hole injectors
-new engine last year
-new ignition last year
-highflow cat
-Flowmaster

This one does not have the whistle. The guy said the whistle comes from misalignment of the squared port (on TB bottom side) to manifold and gasket alignment, but who knows.

Will def post up pics!
Old 01-29-2018
(Jason)
Premium Club Member

Well, I redid my air tube setup a little.

Results:

#1- She audibly sounds better as far as idle. Sounds like shes breathing very well!

#2 - She pulls really, really hard now! Past 2nd gear up in the higher 3-4500 range she is pulling great! The front end rises like a mofo.

Concerns -

#1 - it is a little closer to the header/heat. It may be sucking in more hot air than before. But I have my hood cuts and tranny cooler fan right there to move air around.

#2 - Im wondering if its more prone to water/hydro locking. I wouldnt think so since its above the intake manifold and what not. I also run a pre filter too. So idk.

Im thinking of running a double prefilter now cause Im paranoid. I guess I could also fab up some sort of cover for the bottom of the filter. Maybe make an air dam.

filter by Jason Montes, on Flickr
Old 01-29-2018
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Thanks for sharing, looking good in there! Where did you pick up your intake tube from?

I wouldn't worry about your #2 concern.
I believe you'll be fine with your current set up. My filter sticks out past the intake and I have yet to hydro lock. Maybe I've just been lucky
Old 01-29-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Originally Posted by Azoutlaw480 View Post
That looks like a crack in the flex plate huh!!!??...
did you end up doing anything about that?

Originally Posted by Azoutlaw480 View Post
Well, I redid my air tube setup a little. ...
it's very American!
Old 01-29-2018
(Jason)
Premium Club Member

Scott - Got the elbow on amazon and the coupler/spacers at autozone. Mostly 3in stuff.
BTW, how the heck do you keep your engine bay so clean!?

Kris - Yes I did replace the flex plate. Ran into an issue though. The first flex plate from Crown was not cut to spec. The bolt holes didnt line up with the studs at all. No matter which way you turned it. So after 8 hours of trying i ordered one up through dealership.
That one was a perfect fit!