Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 06-08-2018
(Darryl)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2017 Wrangler Willys Wheeler
Reputation: AZRNintheJeep242 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Switch panel/light wiring
Looking for a new switch panel and relay for my new Jeep. I had an sPOD on my old Jeep, but trying to keep it inexpensive. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Would love to hear and see them! Thanks in advance for any help here!!
Old 06-21-2018
Basic Member

Vehicle: 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Default Re: Switch panel/light wiring
The guys website no longer exist but he build a switch box and relay box that were connected using Cat5 cable. The relays take so little power to switch that the Cat5 should be able to handle the switching duties and makes it easier to route than a bunch of individual wires. Not too difficult and makes for a good project if you have the time.
Old 06-24-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
in my JK i used a waterproof Bussmann fuse/relay box and a custom switch panel and connected them with ethernet extension cables. i had the same type of Bussman box in my WJ and they seem to be reliable units. i got them pre-wired from 2 different small business, but neither exist anymore.

if you are interested in something like that, look up the seller "concoursgreg" on eBay - he sells several pre-wired universal Bussman and Littelfuse kits. i think he's also selling them on Amazon under the name "Concours Specialties".

all that said - if i had to do it over i'd just buy an Spod and be done.

...well honestly i'd more than likely get one of the many Spod knock-offs from Amazon for a third of the price! i have no-doubt that the real Spod has better quality control and customer service - and they are mostly an American-made product, but i simply can't justify their asking price for my particular needs.

the Apollointech seller on Amazon has a JK-specific one that gets good reviews, as does the SuiTech one. Apollointech also makes an A-pillar switch pod version. all these have standard Contura switch sized openings, so you can order custom switches from someone like OTRATTW.

you might also check out the universal style with the 6-panel back-lit switch box from some of those same sellers (like SuiTech or Waterwich):

let us know what you end up with!
Old 06-25-2018
(Darryl)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2017 Wrangler Willys Wheeler
Reputation: AZRNintheJeep242 is an unknown quantity at this point
The A-pillar mounted version of the Apollointech is the one I have been looking at.