Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 03-08-2018
Basic Member

Vehicle: 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Default Re: TheKSmith's 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Limited 4.7 H.O. - The Do-It-All Rig
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
so yesterday i spent the day at Number7's house with him helping me weld up my rack..

i started with a Rola rack and extension. it's a very inexpensive rack, yet pretty tough. I already had someone weld the extension in permanently quite a while ago (with them just screwed in, it flexed too much for my liking). once welded solid though, it made a extremely stout and great looking rack.

the only problem at that point was that the factory crossbars and rail system has tons of movement in it and never felt very secure to me. also, the Rola attachments to the factory crossbars were kind of wimpy and would allow the rack to slide from side to side sometimes when off-camber and fully loaded with tire/fuel cans/etc.

the first step was to remove all the factory stuff. next i laid down some 1/8 thick by about 1" wide steel in place of the factory rails, drilled it for the factory attachment holes, rounded off the end corners and got some new stainless steel screws and washers to fasten it to the factory thread-serts. i used only 1/8 thick so it would lay down nice and match the curve of the roof without putting lots of stress on the thread-serts. these pieces really will just need to spread the load of the rack more than any other structural purpose.

then i put the rack up there, got it all lined up and started cutting the "feet" for it - 0.25" thick by about 1.5" wide steel. i then tried to get it all tack-welded into place before taking it to george for the real welding. i got some of it tacked, but i've never welded before and even my tack welds weren't holding worth a crap. later george told me that the harbor freight welder i had came with crap wire and he let me play with his welder and indeed i was able to make some decent welds in no time (now i can't wait to go buy some better wire and start practicing welding!)

here's the first front "foot" tacked into place:

and george tacking the other feet into place (we used a wet blanket to keep the spatters off the paint, mostly):

taken off the jeep in order to finish welding:

the tubing on the rack itself was kinda thin, so george talked me into adding some gussets that tied the feet to more surface area of the rack. i'm glad he did, they came out nice and i'm sure added tons more strength... now i'll never worry about the feet tearing off the thin tube:

view from the front looks great:

and here's some other shots of the nearly finished product:

i still need to fab up a hi-lift carrier on one side and a shovel & axe carrier on the other side, and maybe add some light tabs, etc. and then prep and paint.

thanks tons to George for all the help constructing this!
Hello,

I’ve been following your jeep for years and absolutely fell in love with it and everything you’ve done it’s incredible and it inspired me to build one of my own. Now I know that isn’t been a while sense that last time you posted anything and literally just found out you sold he old girl (heartbreaking). I was wondering if you could help me out with a few things, the design of the roof rack do you happen to have the specs on it? I’ve looked for a very long time and not finding anything that looks as good as yours. Where did you find the pole hangover that was off the back of the jeep? Do you have any specs on the cargo area table?
Old 03-12-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: TheKSmith's 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Limited 4.7 H.O. - The Do-It-All Rig
Originally Posted by BlackPearl_04 View Post
Hello,

I’ve been following your jeep for years and absolutely fell in love with it and everything you’ve done it’s incredible and it inspired me to build one of my own. Now I know that isn’t been a while sense that last time you posted anything and literally just found out you sold he old girl (heartbreaking). I was wondering if you could help me out with a few things, the design of the roof rack do you happen to have the specs on it? I’ve looked for a very long time and not finding anything that looks as good as yours. Where did you find the pole hangover that was off the back of the jeep? Do you have any specs on the cargo area table?
hey there! sorry, i didn't do any blueprints or even write down any measurements on the roof rack or rear table projects.

i've seen several people replicate the roof rack idea... . bradywgn on here has a similar one with a different basket.

you just basically attach a couple steel strips to the factory nutserts (adding a few inserts if you are so inclined), set the basket up there with some spacers (2x4 or whatever), get it level with the Jeep for looks, measure for your "legs" and then get out the grinder make the legs while test fitting and grinding a little more till they fit perfectly - and finally of course, weld!

the rear table used Accuride lock in/out slides, i think they were the 18" version. the only thing i remember that might help you was that when i screwed it down to the floor, the carpet/padding compressed way more than i expected and my tire just barely fit... so if you are making a similar thing to store a tire or containers underneath, be sure to allow some extra height.

i did see someone on jeepforum.com once replicated that rear shelf/table design but made out square steel tubing (welded together) and then i think they used an aluminum sheet for the top. sorry i don't know the URL, but ask/search over on JF in the WJ section.

best of luck!
Old 03-13-2018
Basic Member

Vehicle: 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Sweet thanks for the response I’ll give it a go and try to figure something out, if I have more questions on things you’ve done do you mind if I ask? I’ve just quickly glanced over the main thing so far. Also how on earth do I get photos put up on here? I’d like to show you mine and what I’ve done.
Old 03-13-2018
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Originally Posted by BlackPearl_04 View Post
Sweet thanks for the response I’ll give it a go and try to figure something out, if I have more questions on things you’ve done do you mind if I ask? I’ve just quickly glanced over the main thing so far. Also how on earth do I get photos put up on here? I’d like to show you mine and what I’ve done.
There's a 'how to post pictures' thread located here: https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1354

Hope that helps.
Old 03-19-2018
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Originally Posted by karrlos View Post
Nice rig, theksmith! Any plan on adding aux lights on your roof rack?
theksmith sold this Jeep many moons ago.
Old 09-08-2018
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
I was just looking for a Cinders picture when I ran across this old one of Lafawnduh. Remember this?

Old 09-08-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dzJeepChic View Post
I was just looking for a Cinders picture when I ran across this old one of Lafawnduh. Remember this?

i do - that seemed so steep at the time!

i wonder what Lafawnduh is doing right now?
Old 10-17-2018
(Matt)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
That was a good looking rig! After the two weeks it took me to get through all the posts, I guess I am a little disappointed that she got sold. You had a good run with her though. Seemed like one thing after another was getting you there towards the end. I can understand the need to get out while the getting is good. I picked up an '04 Special Edition earlier this year that I am rehabbing. Old engine is out, new-to-me used, hopefully gently, engine is ready to go in. I am already dreaming of the many mods that I plan on implementing from these fine examples that you have provided the masses! I am grateful that you took the time to share. I will keep an eye out for Lawfawnduh if she did in fact make it to Michigan!
Old 10-19-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by mjmmkerr View Post
That was a good looking rig! After the two weeks it took me to get through all the posts, I guess I am a little disappointed that she got sold. You had a good run with her though. Seemed like one thing after another was getting you there towards the end. I can understand the need to get out while the getting is good. I picked up an '04 Special Edition earlier this year that I am rehabbing. Old engine is out, new-to-me used, hopefully gently, engine is ready to go in. I am already dreaming of the many mods that I plan on implementing from these fine examples that you have provided the masses! I am grateful that you took the time to share. I will keep an eye out for Lawfawnduh if she did in fact make it to Michigan!
glad to hear that the build thread is still helping others.... drain their wallet!