Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 07-17-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Installing a Double Din Radio in a JK Wrangler (Pioneer NEX, removing 430N)
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
Yes, quite some work to do. I hope, I get everything done that day, I am in SFO. My new front and rear cameras are already wired and work with my old headunit. So I hope, everything will be just plug and play. I have the rear one wired via a switch, to be able to turn it constantly on and also additionally via a diode from the brake light wire, so that it also gets power on, when I am in reverse.

I am interested to know, whether you get the transmission fluid temperature shown on the gauges screen. I saw mixed information on this for the JK. There seems also to be a problem at the moment, if the OBD2 plug get´s taken off. Then sometimes the gauges seem not to work after it is plugged in again. There is a patch on the way and I have a beta firmware for this on my Maestro RR.

As I am not having UConnect, I do not need to worry about using it, but the voice control only works with the Pioneer microphone. So in case somebody wants to use the voice control, it is better to turn UConnect off in the headunit menu.

I am planning to use Wago clamps for the wire connections, but I am not sure, whether they are holding up in a vibrating jeep.

OBD2 integration:

i'm having problems with this as well. i've had the radio in and out several times, and i know the gauges did work at least one time. i didn't look at exactly which ones were available though. they aren't working currently at all - but not sure if it's the glitch you are talking about or if i forgot to hook up that one little connector behind the radio last time!

you're supposed to be able to go into the NEX's OEM/OBD2 settings and select "Validate PIDs" and have it re-scan the vehicle to see what gauges are supported, but that's not doing anything for me currently. neither is changing the style of OBD2 connection (always on, on-demand, etc.).

the "Vehicle Information" screen which shows TPMS, open doors & battery voltage works for me, but that connects to the comfort/interior bus of the JK through the main radio harness (versus the powertrain/diagnostic bus). this is a nice feature for anyone that doesn't have the information shown in the EVIC already.

the check engine light warning and ability to pull codes is also on that screen, but that's not working for me right now since that's also part of the powertrain/diagnostic bus connection.

for some vehicles the NEX/Maestro will also show climate controls and parking sensor info, but those options don't work in any JK.

cameras:

i'm running the camera power from the accessory feed that goes to the radio, so they are powered whenever the Jeep is on. this could result in reduced camera lifespan - but for $30 cameras, i'm willing to test that theory.

the Maestro takes care of telling the NEX when the Jeep is in reverse. the NEX will then automatically switch inputs to the backup camera (which is the brown RCA connector directly on the radio). if you've enabled the parking guideline option, they will be displayed over the image in this view.

in addition to auto-switching to the backup camera, the NEX has "Camera View" in the list of sources so you can manually switch to that any time. in this view, the parking guidelines are not displayed even if you've enabled them.

if you've configured the other video input (yellow RCA plug on wire) to be a camera in the NEX, then you'll also have a button in the lower right labeled "1 <-> 2", which allows you to switch between the 2 cameras. the "Camera View" source seems to remember which camera was last showing and will return to that view whenever you choose "Camera View" again.

to enable the second (front) camera, you go to: Settings (gears) > System (wrench) > Input/Output Settings > AV Input and select "Camera".

then in: Settings (gears) > System (wrench) > Camera Settings, i needed to have the first three options "ON", and the 4th to "Battery", like so:

the NEX also lets you enable/disable the parking guidelines (only on the backup camera input), enable/disable mirroring ( for each camera), and adjust the position of the parking guidelines.

there are even options to adjust brightness, contrast, saturation, hue and color temperature for each camera in: Settings (gears) > System (wrench) > Picture Adjustment.

Old 07-17-2017
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Default Re: Installing a Double Din Radio in a JK Wrangler (Pioneer NEX, removing 430N)
Hi Kris,

thanks for all the information. That will for sure help me a lot.

Regarding your OBD2 disconnected, that is the issue, I am talking about. You probably can try the master reset through the Pioneer menu (Settings menu -> OEM setting -> Maestro module ->Master Reset) with the OBD2 connected. This seems to help for a lot of people.
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 4'' Coilover Lift, 40'' Toyo MT, UD60´s front and rear axle, Warn winch, Genright front bumper, TNT Customs rock sliders, Rockhard underbody protection, CB, 5.7 l VVT Hemi....
Old 07-17-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Hi Kris,

thanks for all the information. That will for sure help me a lot.

Regarding your OBD2 disconnected, that is the issue, I am talking about. You probably can try the master reset through the Pioneer menu (Settings menu -> OEM setting -> Maestro module ->Master Reset) with the OBD2 connected. This seems to help for a lot of people.
the "Master Reset" for the Maestro through the Pioneer "OEM Settings" menu worked... and no settings lost other than the ones in the Maestro sub-menu. my steering wheel configuration was retained. thanks Chris!

i set one of the gauges to tranny temp to test for you and sure enough, that doesn't work. it shows 32* Fahrenheit! the coolant temp gauge works, and so do all the default ones like MPH, load, fuel, etc. i didn't check any of the other optional gauges except trans temp.

is the beta firmware you have supposed to fix the trans temp reading for JK's or just the "OBD2 Disconnected" issue?
Old 07-17-2017
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
the "Master Reset" for the Maestro through the Pioneer "OEM Settings" menu worked... and no settings lost other than the ones in the Maestro sub-menu. my steering wheel configuration was retained. thanks Chris!
You are welcome ! I am happy to hear, that this worked.

i set one of the gauges to tranny temp to test for you and sure enough, that doesn't work. it shows 32* Fahrenheit! the coolant temp gauge works, and so do all the default ones like MPH, load, fuel, etc. i didn't check any of the other optional gauges except trans temp.
Did your engine run, while you saw the 32 * Fahrenheit ? I think, the exact temperature only shows up, when the engine is running. Another thing is, that the reading of the tranny temp needs different pids, depending on the build year of the jeep. The pre 2011 have a different pid setting than the 2011-2012 or so and then the newer ones. Other than the other values, the tranny temp reading needs first to be 'activated' with one pid and then read on another pid. Probably, this could be solved by using a custom gauge for this. I need to check, whether I have somewhere the pid´s for this. I have them for my build year.
And that is also the reason, why Torque offers different tranny temp settings, according to when the jeep was build.

Edit: It seems, there is no custom pid definition possible with the Maestro. The tranny temp is not part of the generic CAN bus pids, it seems. It is a vehicle specific pid and so it might work or not on different vehicles with the Maestro RR.

i is the beta firmware you have supposed to fix the trans temp reading for JK's or just the "OBD2 Disconnected" issue?
That beta firmware is only addressing the "OBD2 Disconnected" issue.
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 4'' Coilover Lift, 40'' Toyo MT, UD60´s front and rear axle, Warn winch, Genright front bumper, TNT Customs rock sliders, Rockhard underbody protection, CB, 5.7 l VVT Hemi....

Last edited by ChrisD; 07-18-2017 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-23-2017
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

One thing, I forgot to mention is, that the NEX unit is running from an internal SD card (you probably might know this already) and this SD fails from time to time. So it is not a bad idea to make a backup copy of the internal SD card and have it available, once the installed one is gone. There is an excellent how-to here: Backup SD Card of a NEX unit.
This worked for me with the NEX 8200.
Old 07-23-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

One thing, I forgot to mention is, that the NEX unit is running from an internal SD card (you probably might know this already) and this SD fails from time to time. So it is not a bad idea to make a backup copy of the internal SD card and have it available, once the installed one is gone. There is an excellent how-to here: Backup SD Card of a NEX unit.
This worked for me with the NEX 8200.
i did know about the SD card - but i didn't realize that their failure was a common issue. thanks!

in other news, i went ahead and ordered that CD-MC20 microphone so i can test out the auto-eq functionality.
Old 07-23-2017
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

in other news, i went ahead and ordered that CD-MC20 microphone so i can test out the auto-eq functionality.
I could have given you mine at the Cinders. I ordered one, but now I am using a reference microphone on my iPhone with the AutoDSP app, to get everything balanced (or not ).
Old 07-23-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Thumbs up Re: Installing a Double Din Radio in a JK Wrangler (Pioneer NEX, removing 430N)
I could have given you mine at the Cinders. I ordered one, but now I am using a reference microphone on my iPhone with the AutoDSP app, to get everything balanced (or not ).
sounds like we think along the same lines! i've got the same sort of thing for Android (an inexpensive mic with a calibration file and an RTA app that can use the file)... i'm eager to see how Pioneer's auto-eq settings compare to what i come up with using the app.
Old 07-23-2017
(Dan) (KJ7DAN)
Forum Vendor

Vehicle: Jeep JK Rubi Ultd 2013
RE: SD Cards, you might want to use a MLC flash-based reliability. It can be re-written a lot more times than the "regular" SD cards.

I use a Transcend brand in my Lukas onboard camera, which continuously records while I'm driving, looping over previously recorded material, and hasn't failed me once in over 1yr of use.

I had a Samsung one before, which promptly died after few weeks...

Need a CB, HAM, Mic, Accessory Mount for your Jeep?

Visit our Online Store and follow us on Instagram, Facebook and/or Twitter
Old 07-24-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by JeepUniq View Post
RE: SD Cards, you might want to use a MLC flash-based reliability. It can be re-written a lot more times than the "regular" SD cards.

I use a Transcend brand in my Lukas onboard camera, which continuously records while I'm driving, looping over previously recorded material, and hasn't failed me once in over 1yr of use.

I had a Samsung one before, which promptly died after few weeks...
Dan, thanks for this reminder on flash card tech. it seems that Transcend is one of the few makers that actually state outright that a particular SD Card is MLC.

FYI, the TLC structure is a bigger concern with Micro SD Cards (they've got to squeeze those newer large capacities in somehow). several companies are marketing "high endurance" Micro SD's now though, since this is a known issue in constant write/re-write scenarios (such as a dash cam).