Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 07-24-2017
(Dan) (KJ7DAN)
Forum Vendor

Vehicle: Jeep JK Rubi Ultd 2013
Default Re: Installing a Double Din Radio in a JK Wrangler (Pioneer NEX, removing 430N)
I'm by no means an SD Card expert, but based on my own experience, when it comes to dashcams (also web cams) that use SD cards, I had problems initially with several cards, until I've started using Transcend's MLC ones. This doesn't apply to other applications, such as photo/video cameras.

Also there is a lot of conflicting info on the web re SLC/MLC/TLC and so forth. I don't know which is correct (I presume there's a lot of marketing info involved), but I do know what worked for me.

Also, Lukas, the manufacturer of my dashcam did supply a MLC card with the camera.

Need a CB, HAM, Mic, Accessory Mount for your Jeep?

Visit our Online Store and follow us on Instagram, Facebook and/or Twitter
Old 07-26-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Lightbulb Re: Installing a Double Din Radio in a JK Wrangler (Pioneer NEX, removing 430N)
i was wrong, the transmission temperature gauge does work... but only when the Jeep is in "Drive"!

if the transmission is not in Drive, the gauge displays 32*F. strange.
Old 07-26-2017
(Dan) (KJ7DAN)
Forum Vendor

Default Re: Installing a Double Din Radio in a JK Wrangler (Pioneer NEX, removing 430N)
Same with the Superchips Traildash - only shows in Drive. In neutral shows N/A.

Btw, 32F is 0C. Perhaps the radio "means" to show 0, but since you have it in US mode, it translates 0 to 32F.

Do you like the NEX? What made you replace the OEM one? You had the 430, I have the 730 w/ the Alpine sound. I'm trying to find a reason to find mine, but besides un-sexy graphics, I can't - all works great.

Another BTW: I did replace my speakers few years back which did made a difference in sound quality, but in the end, with all the road noise and the resonating/reflective plastic cocoon that makes up the JK ... it's a Jeep, not a Mercedes.

Old 07-26-2017
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
i was wrong, the transmission temperature gauge does work... but only when the Jeep is in "Drive"!
Very nice. Thanks for the picture. Sorry, I forgot to mention, that it is only working in D or R.
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 4'' Coilover Lift, 40'' Toyo MT, UD60´s front and rear axle, Warn winch, Genright front bumper, TNT Customs rock sliders, Rockhard underbody protection, CB, 5.7 l VVT Hemi....
Old 10-09-2017
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Just a small feedback on my Pioneer headunit: It stopped working after 3 weeks (the display did not show anything anymore and the keys did no more work).
I sent it now back for replacement.
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 4'' Coilover Lift, 40'' Toyo MT, UD60´s front and rear axle, Warn winch, Genright front bumper, TNT Customs rock sliders, Rockhard underbody protection, CB, 5.7 l VVT Hemi....
Old 10-09-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
Just a small feedback on my Pioneer headunit: It stopped working after 3 weeks (the display did not show anything anymore and the keys did no more work).
I sent it now back for replacement.
that sucks! i'm glad you are able to get a replacement.

mine is working fine and i'm still really happy with it.

the only real complaint i have is with the file (mp3) player portion of it... if you have a very small song collection it might be OK (at best). however there is a severe glitch with large numbers of files and also some just plain poorly done and missing features that any other modern hardware or mobile app player should have. it's too bad, as i was looking forward to freeing up space on the tablet by putting all my mp3's on an SD Card in the Pioneer.
Old 10-09-2017
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

that sucks! i'm glad you are able to get a replacement.
I hope, I get one. I got it of eBay from a car hifi shop in LA, but that shop is no more listed there. They offered me a replacement by mail and I sent it back. I hope, it is not going somewhere to 'heaven'.

mine is working fine and i'm still really happy with it.
Good to hear.

the only real complaint i have is with the file (mp3) player portion of it... if you have a very small song collection it might be OK (at best). however there is a severe glitch with large numbers of files and also some just plain poorly done and missing features that any other modern hardware or mobile app player should have. it's too bad, as i was looking forward to freeing up space on the tablet by putting all my mp3's on an SD Card in the Pioneer.
I agree. This is a real problem. I am using playlists with CarPlay, which is still a pain, but it seems to be easier than finding music on my connected usb stick.
Old 02-10-2018
(Dan) (KJ7DAN)
Forum Vendor

Hi Chris, have you put an amp in your JK yet? I'm in the process of adding one. I want to improve on the dual amp setup that I have (Sony XAV-100 front and the Jeep "Alpine" back and sub).

Old 02-11-2018
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Originally Posted by JeepUniq View Post
Hi Chris, have you put an amp in your JK yet? I'm in the process of adding one. I want to improve on the dual amp setup that I have (Sony XAV-100 front and the Jeep "Alpine" back and sub).
Hi Dan, I have put a new amp under the steering column, where my Infinity amp was sitting. It is a 6 channel class D amp, which runs the front active and additionally the subwoofer. I am not using the soundbar as rear fill. The amplifier is very small and was fitting easily in the factory location.
Old 02-11-2018
(Dan) (KJ7DAN)
Forum Vendor

Hi Chris,

I'm going also with a D amp, but a 5 channel (since there's only one sub in the Jeep). I went also with a smallish one (the Alpine PDR-V75), but there's no way to fit it in the factory space (mine's a '13 thus no Infinity amp - it has an "Alpine" instead - to the left side under the steering column. On mine under the steering column I have the factory 12V to 110V convertor box).

I already have two Tuffy boxes under each front seat. They make an good mounting platform: on the driver side I have my Yaesu FTM-400, and on the passenger I'll put the Alpine. It's nice also that it keeps the electronics elevated so that if there's water on the floor it won't short anything. Hopefully it will never get hot enough to deploy the seat mounted side airbag.

I'll post some pics, but it will be nowhere as nice of an install as Kristopher's.

Any reason why you're not running the soundbar?