Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 3 Weeks Ago
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Lightbulb Questions about the White Rim Trail
I'm planning a trip to do the White Rim Trail next year, and would like some feedback from others who have already been there. If you have ideas or information to add regarding any of the questions below, please chime in!!

In which direction should we travel? From what I've read so far, it looks like most people start out near the visitor center and go down Shafer Switchbacks. Does that provide the best views? Or is it because they are too steep going the other way?

I'm planning so spend 3 days/2 nights - is that enough time to drive the White Rim Trail and see all the cool stuff? How many days did you take?

What are your favorite campsites? Why?

Are any of the side trails a must-do (i.e.: Lathrop Canyon, Taylor Canyon, Grand View Point, etc.)? How much extra time does it take?

Has anybody taken Potash Road from the White Rim to Moab? What are the trail conditions there? Does it turn into Poison Spider Trail?

Are any of the short hikes to overlooks or arches a must-do?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Default Re: Questions about the White Rim Trail
Found quite a few nice tips on the Expo Portal, saving for future reference: https://www.expeditionportal.com/for...2#post-2660513
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2005 Jeep LJ
We ran it in one long day because we could not get camping permits. Potash road is just that, a road to Moab.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ Wrangler
Shafer can be easily run in either direction, although for those who are timid of heights, down would put them on the wall.
I agree with Dick...the Potash road is just a road. There is one place to stop along the way...where they sent the car over in the movie Thelma and Louise.
We didn't do much more than that...
smiles, ladybug
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Basic Member

Vehicle: 04 jeep grand cherokee
We also ran it in a day in my tundra, only put it in 4 lo a few times when we did some of the side trails. Very scenic going down the switch backs, awesome views all the way.