Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 08-26-2013
(Brian)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Off Road Pkg.
Default Re: WJ's versus WK'S
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
the ZJ had either a 35C or the 44HD/44A with aluminum center section just like the WJ. the ZJ's 44HD also had the downside of c-clips which the WJ's did not. i think only the 96-98 V8's got the 44HD, not positive... but there was no normal 44 ever in the ZJ.

WJ's are complete bastards with axles nearly as wide as a JK (wider than TJ/XJ/ZJ). they have ABS sensors on them which are required for the speedo (and therefore the transmission to shift correctly), unless you do a different t-case and some electrical mods. the front is a Dana 30, but with true CV shafts that can break if you run 33"+ tires and a locker with a V8 (though i was lucky and never split one). one company makes alloy replacements with u-joints, and i think RCV makes replacements too. ARB is available for the 30. i forget what spline count the 44HD is, but it's a pretty thick shaft - however i still managed to bend more than one at the outer bearing. as was said by others, the 44HD has no selectable lockers, only lunchbox style (click click click click) - i think Spartan and Aussie were the only 2.
Wow, guess I was a little off on this one. I submit to the experts, my apologies.
Old 08-26-2013
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
check this out if you're on the fence for WK/WJ - you already have seen lots of WJ builds you said, this is a nicely done WK:

http://expeditionportal.com/vehicule...erokee-wk.html

Old 08-28-2013
(Loren)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
There are a few 2008 WK's that I'm waiting for when they hit the Govt. surplus auction. I have known them since they were pups and they have been well taken care of and all have the full skid plate package and 3.73 gearing. It all depends whether or not they will be cheap enough.
Old 08-28-2013
Basic Member

Vehicle: 46 Willys CJ2A- "Hunter-fied," '88 YJ, '06 Xterra
Thanks for all of the great input, I will let you know when I finally bite the bullet and bring one home.
Old 11-17-2014
Basic Member

Vehicle: 46 Willys CJ2A- "Hunter-fied," '88 YJ, '06 Xterra
Sorry for bringing back the dead. First of all thanks for all of the input, but fortunately or unfortunately (depending on how you look at it), my love of manual transmissions outweighed my loyalty to Jeep. There are some great WJ builds on here. After all the comments I was really looking for a WK with a V8, and pricing a budget boost, AEV rims and some 285's. Then my wife found me a manual tranny 4WD that fit most of my criteria. I went a head and picked up a 2006 Nissan Xterra. Within a couple of weeks of buying it, I installed a Daystar budget boost, trailer brake controller and a 7 pin RV style plug and wrapped the stock rims with 285/75R16 BFG All Terrains.

On it's maiden camping trip, after the first round of mods. The dent in the bumper was there when I bought it. The bumper will be eventually replaced with an aftermarket or custom one, so I was not too worried about it, even though I was "concerned" about it when I bought it.

After my last mod, my old Rigid 10" off my TJ.

Old 11-17-2014
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
sweet, x's are great little trucks! the tires and lift look nice
Old 4 Days Ago
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi Trail Rated
Better late, Dept: the WK with Quadra Drive II is a point and shoot Luxo wheeler, constantly surprising myself and my wheelin buddies
With a combo of street luxury and the ability to crawl up and over places where other rigs get stuck. Used, I found a good Overland Hemi Trail Rated w 155111 miles for $4500. I can find good ZJs and WJs for a couple thou less. I believe this is the rig ur looking for.