Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 07-04-2012
(Rob or Ramjet) (KC0DBH)
Basic Member

Vehicle: in transition
Default iPad question here too!
Anyone using an ipad with an external GPS antenna? or even W7 thru Parallels on an iPad?
Old 07-04-2012
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Default Re: iPad question here too!
I am running an ipad 3 with the internal GPS antenna for navigation. Did not have any problems so far.
I tried the Parallels viewer on the ipad to use W7 thru Parallels on my Macbook, but was not really satisfied.
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 4'' Coilover Lift, 40'' Toyo MT, UD60´s front and rear axle, Warn winch, Genright front bumper, TNT Customs rock sliders, Rockhard underbody protection, CB, 5.7 l VVT Hemi....
Old 07-05-2012
(Rob or Ramjet) (KC0DBH)
Basic Member

Here is my dilemma,

I use topofusion which is for windows only. Topofusion uses an externally plugged in GPS unit (garmin Maps60CX for instance) as the antenna and feeds live tracking into the software

The idea is I am looking at a iPad 3 to run W7 to use topofuison then I need to have the iPad powered by the cord PLUS have a USB for the garmin to plug into for the GPA tracking software.

The next question is does windows thru parallels recognize the USB thru the 30 pin connector?

This would have been so much easier had Apple installed a conventional USB port.
Old 07-05-2012
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
As far as I understood it, Parallels Mobile on the IPad is only a viewer for the virtual machine on your Mac. Means you would need to have a Mac (i.e. Macbook) with you to run W7 as virtual machine. Then you are able to control W7 through Parallels Mobile.
So the USB port should not be a problem, as the GPS would be connected to the Macbook.

I am not sure, whether the Software under W7 is able to access the GPS, but at least external drives (DVD, harddisk...) are recognized under W7. If you want, I can test the connectivity of a GPS via USB within the W7 virtual machine on saturday.

But just to be clear, I understood, that the virtual machine is not running on the IPad. It is running on a separate Mac.
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 4'' Coilover Lift, 40'' Toyo MT, UD60´s front and rear axle, Warn winch, Genright front bumper, TNT Customs rock sliders, Rockhard underbody protection, CB, 5.7 l VVT Hemi....
Old 07-05-2012
(Rob or Ramjet) (KC0DBH)
Basic Member

No bother. I found what I was looking for. A virtual machine off of a macbook would have defeated the purpose anyways as I am trying to stay on just the ipad. Also as I found out earlier today ipads dont have USB ports so that was the catalyst for figuring out the migration from a windows based sytem to a ipad for tracking.

I was able to find a gps ad some gps apps that will suit our purpose.