Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 01-24-2011
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Tow Truck What did you do to your rig today?
every other forum has a thread like this, so why not us? just a place to post up any old random thing you did to your rig on any given day!

i'll get it started - today i looked at it, thought hard about washing it, but decided it had the perfect amount of mud on it (just enough to hide the scars, but not so much to make it ugly), so i left it alone!
Old 01-24-2011
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2003 Nissan Frontier
Default Re: What did you do to your rig today?
Just got back from purchasing the CORRECT camper shell mounts (Will install today)

Check/Change Transfer Case fluid. I went with Royal Purple in both Front/ReaR Diff.. should I usse that for TC as well?
Old 01-24-2011
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Project510 View Post
Just got back from purchasing the CORRECT camper shell mounts (Will install today)

Check/Change Transfer Case fluid. I went with Royal Purple in both Front/ReaR Diff.. should I usse that for TC as well?
some cases take ATF, others take gear oil, others take special stuff. if yours needs ATF or gear oil, just go Royal Purple - otherwise go factory fluid to be safe (like if you need friction modifiers or whatnot).

while down there, don't forget the grease fittings on your driveshaft and u-joints IF you have them, yours may not.
Old 01-24-2011
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2003 Nissan Frontier
Hmm When I had the diffs done, I asked them to check those they said they were ok.. I took a look under there and see grease, or what looks to be grease leaking from the driveshaft, so I would assume its something that can be done. I dont think they did it tho.

I hate that I live in an apt now and no longer have a garage. I hate paying someone to do stuff I can do myself.

To stay on topic, I did however check my Battery and Charging system

Vehicle and all accesories off 12.8v

Vehicle on w/ AC on High + Lights + Fogs 13.5v

Am I incorrect in assuming both tests should have the battery over 13v? its a brand new Optima Redtop 1000 CA 800 CA
Old 01-24-2011
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Project510 View Post
Hmm When I had the diffs done, I asked them to check those they said they were ok.. I took a look under there and see grease, or what looks to be grease leaking from the driveshaft, so I would assume its something that can be done. I dont think they did it tho.

I hate that I live in an apt now and no longer have a garage. I hate paying someone to do stuff I can do myself.

To stay on topic, I did however check my Battery and Charging system

Vehicle and all accesories off 12.8v

Vehicle on w/ AC on High + Lights + Fogs 13.5v

Am I incorrect in assuming both tests should have the battery over 13v? its a brand new Optima Redtop 1000 CA 800 CA
a healthy battery at rest a few hours will usually read 12.7v - your running voltage at medium load is correct as well.
Old 01-24-2011
(KE7NEA)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2008 FJ Cruiser
(Yesterday) Changed the fluid in the dif's rear was a good color... the front gray, guess I had a few too many water crossings
Old 01-24-2011
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ Wrangler
I picked up my Gracie from the shop on Saturday, and drove her Sunday to make sure that I didnt' get anymore 'check engine lights' and will continue to do so all week. I got under her and admired my new axle brackets, and emptied the rocks from her from my last trip. (She's been in the shop for 12 days, so didnt' have time to get her unpacked much) I'm not going to wash her until I finish working on my shed, as I do NOT want rain right now.
smiles, ladybug
Old 01-24-2011
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
I picked up my Gracie from the shop on Saturday, and drove her Sunday to make sure that I didnt' get anymore 'check engine lights' and will continue to do so all week. I got under her and admired my new axle brackets, and emptied the rocks from her from my last trip. (She's been in the shop for 12 days, so didnt' have time to get her unpacked much) I'm not going to wash her until I finish working on my shed, as I do NOT want rain right now.
smiles, ladybug
axles brackets, check engine lights, 12 days in the shop... wow - more info required!
Old 01-24-2011
(Virgil) (K7VZ)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Tried to change the transmission filter. Spent an hour trying to get the dipstick tube disconnected. Finally got it free and gave up for the night. Reassembly will happen tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2011
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
All I really had time to do today was admire the handsome fellow sitting happily in his own garage for a change. Home and happy to be home! d