Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 12-17-2014
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Android Tablet as a Head Unit & GPS - New Install
a couple weeks ago, Aimee went ahead got me my Christmas present early - a new Sony Z2 Tablet (4G Verizon edition)!

out with the old...

the new Z2 will replace my current docking XOOM tablet in the Jeep. the current setup performs many duties including GPS, offroad mapping, on-road navigation, stereo head unit, movie player for the projector system, OBDII engine interface, digital factory service manual, and gives me internet access anywhere there is 3G/4G service or free WiFi.

the XOOM is easily removable so that trail planning, checking email, and general web surfing can be done from inside the house, at starbucks or a in a hotel room.

the plan for the new tablet is to do all of this and some more (thanks to it being a faster and more capable machine). it's a similar size and still runs the Android OS, so much the transition will be seamless.

the Z2 is much thinner/lighter than the XOOM and only a little wider (in landscape).

here's a reference shot of how the XOOM currently looks in the Jeep:

...in with the new

of course the custom mount and dock for the XOOM will have to be changed out for something that fits the Z2. i also recently ditched all of the complex electronics behind the XOOM installation and will have a much simpler infrastructure to support this tablet.

i'm still waiting on a couple items, but here's what i have so far for the new install:

i also recently re-did all of the audio components (new amps, speakers, EQ and BT receiver). i still need to build an enclosure for the new sub in order to complete that part of the project.

Old 12-17-2014
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Default Re: Android Tablet as a Head Unit & GPS - New Install
Nice work!

Old 12-17-2014
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I like that one. Looks much better than my Parrot Android unit.
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 4'' Coilover Lift, 40'' Toyo MT, UD60´s front and rear axle, Warn winch, Genright front bumper, TNT Customs rock sliders, Rockhard underbody protection, CB, 5.7 l VVT Hemi....
Old 12-17-2014
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dzJeepChic View Post
Nice work!
i didn't do anything new yet!
Old 12-17-2014
(Virgil) (K7VZ)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
You did a great job!
Old 12-17-2014
(KF7AJT)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
Some people are easily impressed.
Old 12-18-2014
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

protection - back

because of the way i'll be mounting the tablet, a case won't work. i did however still want to avoid scratching it up with daily use, so i ordered a decal type skin for the back: http://amzn.to/13fscVp

it's a "black brushed aluminum" skin, fairly thick and with a lot of physical texture. i was worried if it might not stick well to the "soft feel" back of the Z2, but it seems to be staying in place. the cut/size was perfect, including the cutout for the camera. it also doesn't show every little touch (with oily smudges) like the factory coating did.

protection - screen

of course i needed a screen protector as well. i ordered a SOJITEK brand through Amazon: http://amzn.to/1r2lpsQ

i'm not impressed with the SOJITEK though as it was cut/sized poorly. it is literally the exact width/height of the tablet's glass, with not even a hair of forgiveness. this makes installing it a complete PITA, which i could accept if the rest of the fit was perfect. however the corner radius is sized wrong causing it to overhang on all 4 corners and the camera cutout is not perfectly centered.

i went with the anti-glare finish for the first time, and i'm still not sure if i like that or not. i'm waiting to try out this matte finish in the Jeep before i order a different brand that hopefully fits better.

protection - security

my requirement of easy docking has the negative side effect of making it an easy theft so i purchased accidental damage and theft insurance. see this thread for more info on that topic: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4006

i have my Tasker (automation app) scripts so the tablet stays locked most of time. i have the Android Device Manager enabled which helps you track down a stolen/lost device and remotely erase it if needed. my Tasker scripts are also set so that if the device is rebooted it will start up locked, with 4G/WiFi/GPS enabled - that way Device Manager can actually remotely contact the tablet to help locate it. the script also starts it up at full volume as you can remotely ring it with Device Manager too.

Last edited by theksmith; 12-18-2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-18-2014
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

physical mount & power

the Z2 has a magnetic power port on the bottom. i thought this would make creating a dock for it easier and that was a concern when picking which new tablet to get.

later i ran across a cradle with power adapter made by ProClip: http://www.proclipusa.com/tablet-hol..._leftorright=0

it's expensive for what it is IMO, but i guess there's low demand. i went ahead and ordered it despite the cost as i think it will save me a bunch of time/aggravation versus creating a custom solution. i may still need to fabricate a way to lock it into the cradle at the top depending on how well it stays in while offroading.

it's been backordered, so that's the main thing holding up the install right now.

other connections

besides power, i need to get to the Micro USB port in order to attach an MHL (HDMI) adapter for the projector. unfortunately this port is on the top of the tablet, behind a little cover (to keep the waterproof rating).

since it's on the top, and after having experience always fiddling with getting the XOOM to line up with a Micro USB when docking, i won't be trying to incorporate this port into the dock. instead i'll just have a cable behind the tablet that i can plug in whenever i want to use the projector.

eventually i plan to experiment with a Miracast dongle to see if that would work well and negate the need for the extra connection (Mircast is similar to the Chromecast wireless TV stick, but supposedly doesn't require an internet connection to work).

Last edited by theksmith; 12-18-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-18-2014
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
That Aimee is a real keeper.
Old 12-19-2014
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by scottL View Post
That Aimee is a real keeper.
i tend to agree