Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 02-13-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Tow Truck Emergency Tire Valve Stem Replacement
Slashing a valve stem on the trail isn't exactly a frequent problem for most 4x4 rigs, but it can happen. So when I ran across the Colby Valve IndieGoGo campaign, I decided to back it for a few bucks to get a couple of their innovative looking emergency valve stem replacements.

With the Colby Valve, replacing a valve stem without un-mounting a tire is supposedly just a few seconds work and doesn't require any tools. The design seems straightforward and I don't see any reason it shouldn't work just as described. Be sure to take a look at their video on http://www.colbyvalve.com for details.

Here's a closeup of the Colby Valve compared to a regular stem:

The current price is a fair bit higher than what I paid to back their startup campaign. Are they worth it for the convenience? I guess that depends on how well the alternatives work.

Tools to do the same sort of "outside the wheel" change with a regular valve stem do already exist. This one on Amazon gets a nearly perfect rating in fact. I'm hoping someone here has used one of those style tools and can let us know how quick and easy it worked?

Old 02-13-2017
(ed)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 03 tj rubicon
Default Re: Emergency Tire Valve Stem Replacement
That's a great idea. I have seen several stems ripped off including the one my wife's horse ripped off the trailer with his hoof.
Old 02-13-2017
Basic Member

Vehicle: Pinzgauer 712
I have also lost a valve stem on my ford while getting items out of the bed and using the axle as a step. Slipped off and broke teh valve stem. Had to change tire to get home. This would have been a lot faster and left me with a spare while on the trail.
Old 02-13-2017
(david)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 01 jeep grand cherokee
I seen these just the other day and have considered replacing the ones in my rig with their permanent series ones. 5 of em is like 80 bucks or so. but I may just buy the 4 pack and then keep em in the jeep as back ups.