Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 05-02-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb 2 Products to Make Airing-Up More Fun
Airing-up seems to be just one of those necessary evils we all must endure after a great day on the trail.

A nice on-board-air setup is certainly the best way to alleviate some of the associated tedium. But I hear your anguished cries, "I bought a huge compressor and tank, but it still takes 5 whole minutes and I'm so bored that I might die!". Fear not, there's more stuff you can buy!

First off, constantly removing the chuck to check pressure with a separate gauge is for masochists. Get yourself a decent inflator and simplify the whole process!

My faithful Powertank inflator recently died (only after many years of abuse) so I decided to embrace technology and try a digital inflator. Specifically I went with the "JACO FlowPro Digital Tire Inflator" (under $40 on Amazon) and it's been working well for me. It has plenty of features I appreciate:

- all metal construction (except the digital gauge piece)
- separate inflate/deflate actions
- a decent length flexible hose
- automatic 2 minute shut-off or manual on/off
- easy to access battery compartment that still feels secure
- good size backlit readout with battery indicator

A couple personal preference items swayed me to select this one as well. It uses "AAA" batteries and all of my current accessories use those or CR123 so I don't have to carry a mess of spares. I also prefer its push-button deflate action. Several other brands have gone to a single lever that you depress completely for inflating or half-way for deflating.

The best thing about this sucker is that the gauge is in complete agreement with the TPMS readout on my JK!

Of course I had to customize mine a bit...

I moved the slightly longer fill hose (and a different chuck) from the old Powertank inflator over to the Jaco, and zip-tied on a little plastic push connector so I have a place to hold a valve stem cap. A super hi-tech space-age rubber band finishes out the mods (to hold the inflate lever down for me)!

That brings me to my other favorite new air-up related thingamabobber... the "Haltec H-5265 Standard Bore Lock-On Air Chuck" (about $12 on Amazon).

You're probably thinking "Just how exciting can a tire chuck be?!?". Well, let me tell you... not that exciting compared to something like driving a Hellcat powered JK...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QH-Io1SGuYE

But compared to other tire chucks that don't seal without some fiddling, it's pretty awesome!

The Haltec chuck has a sliding collar which depresses 3 claws to lock onto the valve stem securely. It's easiest to lock-on using two hands, but can be done with one if you have strong fingers.

I've found that if it seems difficult to slide the collar, it's because I'm not pressing it against the valve stem squarely and a slight adjustment will allow it to work easily. Unlike most other chucks, I've never had to twist the Haltec a few turns to get it to seal - it just works!

Note this is a "closed" chuck, so you need an on-board-air setup with a pressure switch to prevent the compressor from running constantly and exploderating something (same goes for using an inflator). I did find this store selling a free-flow version if you wanted to use it straight off a compressor.

So by now you've probably realized that the title of this post was a bit of an exaggeration... OK, maybe an outright lie! I don't really know how to make airing-up fun, but hopefully I have given you a couple ideas for making it slightly easier!
Old 05-02-2017
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Default Re: 2 Products to Make Airing-Up More Fun
The ORP research dept. strikes again. Nice write up!

The plastic valve cap holder is pure genius.
However, it deserves a proper name. Maybe, OCD placating temporary storage device. Aka: OCDPTSD.....?:
Old 05-02-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jgaz View Post
The ORP research dept. strikes again. Nice write up!

The plastic valve cap holder is pure genius.
However, it deserves a proper name. Maybe, OCD placating temporary storage device. Aka: OCDPTSD.....?:
"OCDPTSD - A brand new way to forget where you put your valve cap!"
Old 05-02-2017
(Darryl)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2017 Wrangler Willys Wheeler
Nice write up!!

PowerTank for FTW though!! Love mine.
Old 05-03-2017
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
But I hear your anguished cries, "I bought a huge compressor and tank, but it still takes 5 whole minutes and I'm so bored that I might die!". Fear not, there's more stuff you can buy!

First off, constantly removing the chuck to check pressure with a separate gauge is for masochists. Get yourself a decent inflator and simplify the whole process!
A super hi-tech space-age rubber band finishes out the mods
That brings me to my other favorite new air-up related thingamabobber...
You're probably thinking "Just how exciting can a tire chuck be?!?". Well, let me tell you... not that exciting compared to something like driving a Hellcat powered JK...
https://youtube.com/watch?v=QH-Io1SGuYE
But compared to other tire chucks that don't seal without some fiddling, it's pretty awesome!

So by now you've probably realized that the title of this post was a bit of an exaggeration... OK, maybe an outright lie!
Great write up Kbro,
I often learn a new word or two when reading your posts!

I still like my ARB doo hickey for it's benefits but the tire pressure feature is really cool and something I would also like to have.. But then I have to source my own space age rubber and carry extra batteries?

Man that Hellcat JK is badass!

P.S. Were you sipping some of Ladybug's moonshine early yesterday morning by chance?
Old 05-03-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Lightbulb Re: 2 Products to Make Airing-Up More Fun
Originally Posted by scottL View Post
Great write up Kbro,
I often learn a new word or two when reading your posts!

I still like my ARB doo hickey for it's benefits but the tire pressure feature is really cool and something I would also like to have.. But then I have to source my own space age rubber and carry extra batteries?

Man that Hellcat JK is badass!

P.S. Were you sipping some of Ladybug's moonshine early yesterday morning by chance?
hey Scotty, your fancy new ARB twin compressor package does have a built in pressure switch, so you could use an inflator like the one i posted if you wanted. you'd just need a hose with a regular quick-coupler on the end instead of a tire chuck - not sure what you have in that regard.

and no on the moonshine (this time) - just trying to make a boring topic more fun to read about!
Old 05-03-2017
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ Wrangler
Great job Kris! I may have to get one of these...I struggle to find one that 1) reads accurately after 1 month, and 2) lasts longer than a year.

And I am most likely headed back to PA for my Bro's big birthday in September...and you know TN is between here and there......I thinking cafe shine!

smiles, ladybug