Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 05-04-2019
(Parley)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2017 JK Rubicon
Default Multipurpose GPS Recommendations
I’ve been looking for a GPS unit for the Jeep for a little bit now. Being that I’m new here, the biggest thing I want is breadcrumbs for when I get turned around on a trail. SOS functionality would be nice and I’m just learning about Geocaching which sounds like a lot of fun, so if someone can recommend something good for all of the above it would be much appreciated.
Old 05-04-2019
(Mike) (KF7OGY)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 1991 YJ
Default Re: Multipurpose GPS Recommendations
One option is an android tablet with a gps (https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/ta...m-t280nzkaxar/ is one of many) and the GPS app AlpineQuest, https://www.alpinequest.net/ (the full version is under $10 on the google play store).

You can download free off line maps to your heart's content with Mobile Atlas Creator, https://mobac.sourceforge.io/

Hope this helps.

Last edited by gearhead; 05-04-2019 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-04-2019
(Parley)
Basic Member

Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
One option is an android tablet with a gps (https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/ta...m-t280nzkaxar/ is one of many) and the GPS app AlpineQuest, https://www.alpinequest.net/ (the full version is under $10 on the google play store).

You can download free off line maps to your heart's content with Mobile Atlas Creator, https://mobac.sourceforge.io/

Hope this helps.
Do the tablets with GPS work pretty well without WiFi or LTE? I have an iPad with cell service, I’ve just never tried it in a dead zone for only GPS functionality. And if so, do you happen to know of any iPad equivalent apps?
Old 05-04-2019
(Mike) (KF7OGY)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 1991 YJ
Here is a good thread: https://offroadpassport.com/forum/sh...light=gps+ipad
Old 05-05-2019
(Tim/Curly) (KF7INL)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 97 Jeep Wrangler
I use an Android tablet with alpine quest. Works great for trails, not so good for Geocaching. I use a Garmin 64s for caching, it works great but was a bit pricey. A used unit might be a better choice. I used to use SPOT for emergency SOS but found it was too expensive for how little I used it. I rarely go off road alone, if I do, I make sure someone knows where I went and when I will return.
Old 05-06-2019
(Mike) (KE7GRM)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 TJ
I use a Samsung Tab A, Wifi only, 10.1" screen for the Jeep and a Samsung phone for hiking; both have 256 gig of expanded memory and they will automatically sync up when they find a hot spot.

Best regards
Old 05-06-2019
(Parley)
Basic Member

Thank you all for the replies. I’m going to go out this weekend with just the iPad and see how well it does without LTE/WiFi and take it from there.
Old 05-06-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by subPar View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I’m going to go out this weekend with just the iPad and see how well it does without LTE/WiFi and take it from there.

let us know how it goes!

maybe grab MotionX HD and download some maps before you go - it's probably still the #2 GPS/topo app for iOS and it's cheap, even with the upgraded maps in-app purchase.

Gaia is the top dog i think still, but my understanding is that it's not really useful without the $20/year subscription.

FYI - GPS should work fine off-grid on all fairly recent iPads. the early WiFi-only models lacked a real GPS chip, but that was years ago and you have a mobile-data version anyway. if you find that the initial lock is slow or you get spotty reception inside the vehicle, check out the DUAL GPS or Bad Elf products for iPad.
Old 05-07-2019
(Darryl) (KJ7HLL)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2017 Wrangler Willys Wheeler
I played around with GAIA for a month or so before jumping on the premium side of it, and I am glad I did. If you're interested in buying a subscription to it, one of the two overlanding peeps I follow on YouTube and Patreon have discount codes on subscriptions that I could share since I already have one.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” - Dr. Seuss