Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 02-28-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Big Tuna's "Building the Dub!"
nice looking headunit, those Android units have come a long way over the years.

can you load external apps via the Play store or even directly with an .APK file? i'm curious if you can get any of the popular topo/GPS apps working well on it.

it's interesting they still don't support "sleep". if it included even a tiny lithium-ion battery then it could go into airplane mode and sleep for at least a couple days before powering all the way off - making startup nearly instant for most use cases.
Old 02-28-2019
(Michael)
Basic Member

Vehicle: "Pegasus" 1999 Jeep WJ 4.7L
It actually comes with Play store right on the bugger when you buy it! It does come with a .apk installer as well. One of the major issues that the earlier units had with play was that alot of them used a strange Hybrid Android/WinCE abomination. It made it so that most apps couldn't recognize the unit as Android (because it technically wasn't). In this case, All of Joying's current models run pure Android, and the functions which required WinCE to run have been rewritten into apps, which I can say are so far pretty well thought out and function pretty well. As for the sleep debacle, I found out it's actually a limitation of the motherboard itself, and the way the CPU behaves when Android move into it's "sleep" behavior. Joying has other new units they are working on which do support sleep... or "Quick Boot" at they are calling it. Full cold boot of the unit takes about 30-45 seconds, so it's not too bad waiting. Once my next modification to the Jeep is complete, that won't even be a huge issue.
Old 02-28-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by BigTuna117 View Post
It actually comes with Play store right on the bugger when you buy it! It does come with a .apk installer as well. One of the major issues that the earlier units had with play was that alot of them used a strange Hybrid Android/WinCE abomination. It made it so that most apps couldn't recognize the unit as Android (because it technically wasn't). In this case, All of Joying's current models run pure Android, and the functions which required WinCE to run have been rewritten into apps, which I can say are so far pretty well thought out and function pretty well. As for the sleep debacle, I found out it's actually a limitation of the motherboard itself, and the way the CPU behaves when Android move into it's "sleep" behavior. Joying has other new units they are working on which do support sleep... or "Quick Boot" at they are calling it. Full cold boot of the unit takes about 30-45 seconds, so it's not too bad waiting. Once my next modification to the Jeep is complete, that won't even be a huge issue.
sound good!

thanks for keeping your thread updated here, i always like seeing what you've done lately.
Old 03-02-2019
(Michael)
Basic Member

Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
thanks for keeping your thread updated here, i always like seeing what you've done lately.
Well, we've all come this far, it'd be a shame to stop now!

In my case, Alot of the things I test on the Jeep are a little less conventional in scope, like the Oil Cooler, Headunit, or dual-core radiator. I like being able to report back to a group and receive consensus on those mods. I keep this build page (and a "copy" build page on OverlandBound's forum constantly updated because I receive good feedback from both pages.

I like ORP, I've met you guys (you are my friends) and I'd like to do more trails in the future. It's just a long road from where we were to being ready to roll again. Almost there.
Old 03-03-2019
(Michael)
Basic Member

Today the Jeep received an addition which is both useful and functional! I purchased a Remote start system from Syracuse Synergy, a small company which specializes in setting up remote start systems which are about as close to plug and play as you can get! Pre-flashed for the platform and ready to rock, It comes with the remote start "brain" and bypass module already hooked together. All you have to do is wire it in, and program it to your key! A pretty reasonable price, too. They (well, he, I believe William is a one man operation) also give you any support you may require, via e-mail, Facebook, or even Text message. That being said, I reckon it's pretty fool proof.

Here's the system I ordered from them. They also offer a more "basic" system which does not utilize a 2 way remote.
http://syracusesynergy.com/product/rs2waywj/
Old 3 Weeks Ago
(Michael)
Basic Member

You remember that time about 4 years ago when I messed with LED headlight bulbs?
I did it again, with better results.