Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 05-23-2017
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Default Grand Canyon Panorama Project
I've been meaning to post this.

http://www.gcpano.org/grand-canyon/

This is a work in progress for a very large number of trails in the Grand Canyon. It's a great collection of the actual views you would see if you were to hike to the specific spot and slowly rotate to take in the incredible scenery.

These pictures may be especially interesting if you think you'd like to see the views in person but don't have the time, or the inclination, to hike to these spots yourself.

Some of the panos include narrations but all are worth a look.
Old 05-23-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Grand Canyon Panorama Project
thanks for posting Jim - i checked out a few of them, very neat!

i think the whole idea to document natural and historical places of interest in this way is fantastic. of course it's no substitute for actually being there - but i think it could really be a motivating experience for many disabled people or folks without the economic means to visit much of the world. it's great even for those of us that crave travel and adventure - it just ads to the number of places we get to "visit" in our too-short lives!

Google is also helping people experience many of the world's wonders in a similar way, including parts of the Grand Canyon. for example, here's the climb up El Capitan: https://www.google.com/maps/about/be...anging-corners

you can even apply to be a Street View Trekker to help record these sorts of places: http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/eco-tou...t-view-trekker

... if you're willing to lug this around:

i submitted an idea to Google a few years ago when they first started really promoting the 360 panos.. i told them they should put one of those rigs on top of my Jeep during some of our adventures to popular places like Mojave Road, Monument Valley, Canyonlands etc. - i never heard back from them. they probably are worried about offending some overzealous environmental group if they were to support anything other than hikers with the project!

i hope to get a VR headset and try some of the more immersive/interactive experiences before too long.
Old 05-23-2017
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Default Re: Grand Canyon Panorama Project
Kris, I've seen the google street view of the hike down, I believe, the Bright Angel trail. You're right, it's very cool. It is quite a different view than the panos on the site I linked. Personally I like the panos better but I think there is room for both and both are an excellent resource for many, many people.