Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 11-26-2017
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Default Re: I got a JK for the RV
Excellent story, nice upgrade.
Old 01-24-2018
(Benny)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2015 JKU Rubicon
UPADTE:

I added an SPOD SE to the JK. I got all the cube lights, bumper lights and rear amber all hooked up. I plan to add my CB and HAM radio to the SPOD soon. The Rock Slide Engineering sliders shipped today!!!!!

The last thing I want to do for now is take the stock fenders off and add some tube fenders and inner liners. The plan is to go up to 37" tires after I am done running around the country so I am looking for a finder that will work for my current 35" tires and then the 37's.

I really like the Metalcloak fenders and the Gen Right Fenders but there are so many to choose from. If it was your money which fender and liner would you go with?

I will post some updated pics after I install the sliders!!! Thanks for the input.
Old 01-25-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
do you want steel or aluminum?

you might find this fender comparison useful: http://www.mikesjeep.com/articles/metal-fender-round-up

personally i like the looks of the metalcloak hardlines and the poison spyder "stock" width.

looking forward to your next round of photos!
Old 01-25-2018
(Benny)
Premium Club Member

[QUOTE=theksmith;49566]do you want steel or aluminum?

you might find this fender comparison useful: http://www.mikesjeep.com/articles/metal-fender-round-up

personally i like the looks of the metalcloak hardlines and the poison spyder "stock" width.

looking forward to your next round of photos!

I too like the Hardline Metalcloak fenders. I am probably going to go with steel fenders. Thanks for the link. Here is another link I found that helped out a lot

http://www.4x4review.com/tube-fender...p-wrangler-jk/
Old 01-25-2018
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Originally Posted by squinko View Post
If it was your money which fender and liner would you go with? Thanks for the input.
After browsing both links and reading Mike's comments about fitment, I'd most likely go with the Nemesis fenders in aloomenium.

One final thing about the Metalcloak fenders, and perhaps aftermarket fenders in general, and that is the fit. Although Metalcloak is a top brand who I have great respect for, the fit of these fenders doesn't knock my socks off. On their website they point out how the Metalcloak's fender flares fit is better than the competitions and includes the photos below:

That does not impress me. When I look at the fit of the fender on the left I would not have even tightened the bolts before taking it off and sending that piece of shit back. When I look at the Metalcloak fender I think I might have taken that off and sent it back as well. You can clearly see how the line between the grill and Jeep fender is not consistant because the Metalcloak fender flare is twisting it. You can also see how close the fender and hood are to touching, if they aren't already.

The fit of the Poison Spyder flare looks much better, but it's still not perfect either. If you go to Poison Spyder's website and look closely at the pictures in their slide shows you can often see fit that is worse than the picture above. I think the photo above is an example of the best possible fit they could come up with. I wonder how typical that fit is, is it the best they've ever seen or is it average?

The Nemesis fender flares seem better engineered with their construction process & finishing.
Maybe Mike works for them who knows
Old 01-25-2018
(john)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon
I went with plastic aftermarket fenders because they give more when hit. I did not want any inner fender or body damage due to my fenders. The metal ones look cool but I went for functionality.

My 2 cents
Old 01-26-2018
(Benny)
Premium Club Member

I ended up getting the Metalcloak steel Hardline fenders with the inner liners. I like the Metalcloak stuff. My lift is from them and I will most likely be getting their skid plate system as well. Pics to follow once I get them on.
Old 01-26-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by squinko View Post
I ended up getting the Metalcloak steel Hardline fenders with the inner liners. I like the Metalcloak stuff. My lift is from them and I will most likely be getting their skid plate system as well. Pics to follow once I get them on.
do let us know how the install goes and how well they fit please! the hardline in aluminum or the poison spyder ones are my current wishlist choices.
Old 01-26-2018
(Benny)
Premium Club Member

Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
do let us know how the install goes and how well they fit please! the hardline in aluminum or the poison spyder ones are my current wishlist choices.

Will do.
Old 02-14-2018
(Benny)
Premium Club Member

My Metalcloak Hardline fenders and inner liners arrived today. Man they are beefy!!! I got the Rock Slide Engineering sliders on last weekend. They work amazing and the install was not too bad. It was a little nerve racking to drill a bunch of holes on the side of my Jeep and hope you measured right . Measured several times and drilled once

I plan to install the fenders this weekend. I will post pics up of both the fenders and sliders when I get them on.