Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 10-15-2018
(JARHEAD) (KE7TOG)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 93 YJ(LM7)
Default Frankencase
My YJ started out with a np231 transfer case. It had 21 spline input as it was mated to a light-duty manual transmission and ultimately the 2.5 L 4-cylinder motor. Do to wanting more ability I added the teralow 421 transfer case kit. This kit came with a new front half case in low-range Gears to give it a 4 to 1 ratio. After having it for 2 years I had an incident at the cinders that took my Driveline out of commission. She sat for 10 years but during this time I worked at getting a new drivetrain that would be worthwhile to me. I ended up going with an LS motor and Automatic transmission. Just prior to my Jeep going out of commission I was having trouble Shifting the 4lo transfer case. As I started putting my Jeep back together this year I found out there was a recall on the teralow kits due to bearings failing in the planetary gear. The first few drives I got with my new drivetrain I could hear all the chatter coming from my transfer case. I knew that any internal failures in my transfer case could be catastrophic and I did not wish to find them happening while I was out on the trail.

Fast forward to this week. I have decided to stay with the np231 but change some of the internals so it will suit my new drive train. I'm going to get the wide chain kit, rebuild kit, and the 6 pinion planetary from JB Conversions. This combination will give me just what I need to deal with my new drivetrain and still retain everything exactly where it sits. That means I will not have to change any Hardware, mount, or fabricate new stuff. Why is advice from a friend let me know that with the new automatic transmission setup in the power of the V8 I would not necessarily need a 4 to 1 ratio. While I do enjoy doing Trails, I won't find myself doing the most extreme rock crawling. I plan to order all the parts and do the rebuild myself. Partly because I want to and I believe it is within my skill set, but also I'm at the end of the line for money on this project. Hahaha.

Please stay tuned for one of my first build threads and for a good dose of humor.

Last edited by GRUNT; 10-15-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2018
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ Wrangler
Default Re: Frankencase
It was so very very good to see you at the Cinders! And I look forward to many trail rides with you again! Keep the good work going!!
smiles, ladybug
Old 10-16-2018
(Steve) (KG7EWF)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
Default Re: Frankencase
Looking forward to trail riding and exploring with you Allen... Holler if you need anything...