Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 05-03-2013
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 "War Wagon"
Deer Recommendations for TOPO software?
Looking to purchase some TOPO software and hoping for recommendations. With camping, hunting and wheeling much more lately I want to be able to print my own maps to save money. Especially with my elk hunt this year, I plan on getting TOPOs for the majority of the unit so I can pre hike it and get some yardages and note beds and water holes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Old 05-03-2013
(Brian)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Off Road Pkg.
Default Re: Recommendations for TOPO software?
National Geographic has a pretty good one called "TOPO!" I bought mine a few years ago for $100, it covers the whole state. DeLorme also offers one called Topo USA. That one is a little less expensive, but still pretty good. Both offer true photo representations of USGS topo maps at their higher magnifications. The Topo USA shows them in their original state, while the National Geographic TOPO! overlays road and trail information that sometimes differs somewhat from the original maps.

Either is pretty good.
Old 05-04-2013
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
i had come across this software before when doing research, but have not personally used it. you can order maps from them printed on water resistant or fully laminated paper. specifically i noticed they have "Western State GMU maps. BLM map base with public land ownership and big game GMU boundaries" as an option that might interest you: http://www.mytopo.com/

i was pretty happy with Delorme Topo on the PC, but i didn't try the printing feature other than four a road trip. with delorme you get all the topo stuff as part of the cost of the software. you can then optionally pay a small yearly fee to get unlimited downloads of aerial/satellite photography too.
Old 05-04-2013
(Steve)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2003 Toyota 4Runner
cool info thanks
Old 05-05-2013
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 "War Wagon"
Originally Posted by Guardrail View Post
National Geographic has a pretty good one called "TOPO!" I bought mine a few years ago for $100, it covers the whole state. DeLorme also offers one called Topo USA. That one is a little less expensive, but still pretty good. Both offer true photo representations of USGS topo maps at their higher magnifications. The Topo USA shows them in their original state, while the National Geographic TOPO! overlays road and trail information that sometimes differs somewhat from the original maps.

Either is pretty good.
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
i had come across this software before when doing research, but have not personally used it. you can order maps from them printed on water resistant or fully laminated paper. specifically i noticed they have "Western State GMU maps. BLM map base with public land ownership and big game GMU boundaries" as an option that might interest you: http://www.mytopo.com/

i was pretty happy with Delorme Topo on the PC, but i didn't try the printing feature other than four a road trip. with delorme you get all the topo stuff as part of the cost of the software. you can then optionally pay a small yearly fee to get unlimited downloads of aerial/satellite photography too.

Thanks guys, I like the idea of getting one I can use for hunting, off roading and my big road trips

Old 01-20-2015
Basic Member

Vehicle: 89 jeep xj
Hunting Re: Recommendations for TOPO software?
I have had both FTW it is Delorme Topo US! when your PC is coupled to an active GPS you can almost run IFR in an off road area. Using the 3D feature I did about 3 weeks of scouting before I got on site in my GMU. I was able to see water wallows and saddles that looked good on the map but when i looked at in 3D I saw that i needed wings to get there. It saved me days of wasted time on the ground

Bob
Old 01-20-2015
(Cam) (KG7SWF)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Yellow hardtop)
If your needs are simple and you want a free solution, the USGS allows free downloads of PDF topo maps from this page:

http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/...&uiarea=2)/.do

It may not be immediately obvious how to use the map. 1) Double click on the area you want to see repeatedly until you drill down to the topo map grids, then 2) click the radio button to the right that says "Mark Points". 3) Click on a map and leave a marker. 4) Right click on the marker and you'll see the maps available for download. 5) Under the "Download" column you see on the pop-up window, click the link for the map you want and it will download to your PC. 6) Open the downloaded file with a PDF reader and print as desired.

It sounds like a lot of steps, but once you do it, it's fast and easy.
Old 01-21-2015
(Steve) (KG7EWF)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
Here is a link to free tops, which Curly had posted about some time ago and had turned me onto… They are plenty good enough for my needs…

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/1/