Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 01-29-2015
Basic Member

Vehicle: 89 jeep xj
Jeep Onboard GPS
Is the built in GPS in a Samsung Note 10.1 adequate to run navigation software or do I need to plan on getting a bluetooth GPS to run in tandem with the tablet. I also need ideas for apps for navigation, I used Delorme Topo USA for offroad navigation with a laptop but it is not tablet compatiable I would also like recomendations for something like "streets and trips" for highway use. In my former job as a wireless field engineer I used it a lot for "ground truth" testing of E-911 and found it to be very accurate.

Thanks.
Bob
Old 01-29-2015
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Onboard GPS
which Note 10.1? there's the newer "2014 Edition", and that come in WiFi only, 3G, and 3G/LTE (Verizon) versions... then there's the older version that came in multiple variations too...

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...tion)-5677.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Note_10.1

i can't say on any of those particular models. however the chances are good that if the one you are looking at even has a GPS, then being a newer Samsung device, it'll probably be fine to use the internal one.

all the tablets i've used from Verizon thus far (Motorola, Samsung, LG, Motorola and currently a Sony) have had internal GPS that worked quite well even in the middle of no-where (i.e. without cell signal). however, many times the WiFi only versions of tablets don't include a GPS at all, so you'll want to check carefully with someone that the edition/variation you're looking at does have one - maybe try XDA-Developers.com if no-one else here knows.

IMO, having the GPS built-in is indeed nice compared to needing to run power and turn on/off an external device, so i'd adjust which tablet you're getting based on finding one with that feature.

apps...

i've been using CoPilot Premium USA for on-road nav. the entire US & Canada is a one-time download (vector based maps) of around 2GB and then you're good to go offline, including spoken directions. i find the maps to be 95% or better accuracy for major highways at least. Sygic and Tom Tom are also big players in this category.

i use AlpineQuest GPS Hiking for topo software, though many prefer BackCountry Navigator - there's also Orux Maps, Gaia and a lot more that operate similarly and even use many of the same public map data sources. all of these topo apps use raster based maps and you have to pre-cache any area you plan to visit ahead of time for them to be useful offline. the amount you can store and ease of doing so varies with the app. exceptions to this include Avenza's PDF Maps app which works using a completely different paradigm and Locus which is able to use both tile server mapsources (raster) or OpenStreetMap (vector) format map files.

i know we have several other users on here with Android tablets for GPS, so hopefully they will chime in with their experiences - BigTuna117 just got a newer Samsung tablet to replace his Nexus 7 and seems happy with it, can't remember which one though.
Old 01-29-2015
Basic Member

Vehicle: 89 jeep xj
Default Re: Onboard GPS
I am running the edition samsung before the 2014 note, wifi only so if I need an aux GPS I am good with that

Bob