Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 05-03-2016
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Radio 2016 JK Wrangler Simple Tablet Mount (for GPS/maps)
A few days ago, I posted this teaser of a new tablet mount bracket in my build thread:

Let's jump ahead to the nearly finished product:

Rationale

Since I'm not sure if I'll ever do another complete "carputer" type setup in my new rig, I just needed a simple and possibly temporary way to mount a tablet for off-road mapping...

Aimee is letting me borrow her Verizon G-Pad 8.3" tablet since my larger Sony 10.1" may or may not be sold along with my WJ. Right now the G-Pad is just going to be for topo maps and not integrated with audio or anything else. The 2016 JK factory premium sound radio (430N) has decent on-road navigation and works with my phone over bluetooth for calls and streaming audio, so I'm leaving it alone (for now)!

With the 8.3" tablet, you only lose about a half inch of visibility on either side of the A-pillar in this location. A 7" tablet would be perfect here and not cause any view obstruction.

The Cradle

For the actual cradle, I reused the piece of the Satechi clamp-style mount that I customized previously for Aimee's Jeep Liberty KJ install (she's since sold that rig):

One of the RAM Mount Tab-Tite products could be used instead of this clamp, or a ProClip custom tablet cradle.

The Bracket

For the actual bracket, I used a 1" x 1/4" steel bar about 10" long, welded to a small steel plate.

This custom bracket attaches to the Jeep with a single bolt, through a 2 1/8" long stand-off, into the factory upper A-pillar bolt-hole location.

I had noticed that some of the grab handles which mount to this location call for tightening that bolt to 300 ft-lbs (EDIT: supposed to be in-lbs, doh!), so think it's a pretty solid place to mount something.

The Satechi cradle is attached to the bracket with 3M double-sided trim adhesive tape and a couple tiny screws.

Testing & Wrapping Up

It turns out there's zero flex, thanks to the 1/4" steel used for the main arm and large diameter stand-off. I was actually more worried that the plastic cradle might not hold up to extended off-road use. However, I tested by doing a few hours of high-speed travel over severe washboard roads this weekend and everything seemed extremely solid.

I'm currently running the power into a USB charger in the factory dash outlet, so I'll need to rig up somethign more hidden if I keep this for a while.

As you can see from some of the photos, I've already done a textured black paint. I did actually bend the arm just a bit in a vise after these photos were taken - to bring the tablet a little closer to the dash vent. So, I'm in the process of re-painting the bracket and also waiting for a nicer looking main bolt to use. Since the local Ace only had a regular shiny hex-head bolt, I ordered a M8 x 1.25 X 70mm allen button-head bolt in black oxide finish from Bolt-Depot online.

Conclusion

I'm not sure if this would be a good location for on-road use. It does help keep your eyes near the road when glancing quickly at the screen. but it could also be a little distracting always in the line-of-site. For my current off-road only use, I think it will be perfect.

Pros:
  • Easy to make/install
  • Requires no permanent modifications to the JK
  • Not in the path of an airbag
  • Doesn't block any factory controls or screens
  • Very minor reduction in road visibility
  • Inexpensive

Cons:
  • May be distracting for on-road use
  • Requires welding
  • Highly visible location that could attract theft if you leave the tablet in all the time
  • Tablet not as easy to use for right-handed people (versus a mount near the radio)
  • Passenger can see but not operate the tablet for the driver

FYI: When searching for the link to the original grab handles that inspired this location, I found another company that integrates a ball-mount onto theirs. It looks to be compatible with the RAM Mount system, so this might be a ready-made way to accomplish the same location (along with a RAM arm and cradle): http://www.carolinametalmasters.com/...iant=365288329

Last edited by theksmith; 05-17-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-03-2016
(Mike) (KF7OGY)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 1991 YJ
Default Re: 2016 JK Wrangler Simple Tablet Mount (for GPS/maps)
cool!
Old 05-03-2016
(Roy)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
An amazing job again. Thanks Kris.
Old 05-03-2016
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Very nice. I am using the Carolina Metal Master grab bar handle to hold my iPad.
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 4'' Coilover Lift, 40'' Toyo MT, UD60´s front and rear axle, Warn winch, Genright front bumper, TNT Customs rock sliders, Rockhard underbody protection, CB, 5.7 l VVT Hemi....
Old 05-03-2016
(Steve) (KG7EWF)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
I had noticed that some of the grab handles which mount to this location call for tightening that bolt to 300 ft-lbs, so think it's a pretty solid place to mount something!
Kris,
I'm gonna bet that this number should read; 300 INCH-POUNDS, (or 25 FT-LB)
Old 05-03-2016
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ob1jeeper View Post
Kris,
I'm gonna bet that this number should read; 300 INCH-POUNDS, (or 25 FT-LB)

as usual, there you go making sense again!
Old 05-03-2016
(Steve) (KG7EWF)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
as usual, there you go making sense again!
lol...
Old 05-17-2016
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

got my $6 black bolt (darn shipping costs)!

Last edited by theksmith; 06-12-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-12-2016
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

i noticed Carolina Metal Masters is now selling the ram ball mount as a stand-alone item: http://www.carolinametalmasters.com/...lar-ball-mount

makes it even cheaper to grab that and a RAM Mount arm plus one of their tablet holders and have a very solid, easy mounting solution!