Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 05-27-2012
(Ted) (K2AMD)
Basic Member

Vehicle: '06 KJ (Liberty)~Stock
Jeep Blue Dick Mine attempt-Bradshaws-May 12-13, 2012
This trip was one that I took with a couple of folks from VJC. For me, it was my very first group fun. We only made it as far as the Davis-Dunkirk mine. My report was written originally to add to the one already posted at VJC. I am going to see if this site lets me put it all in one post. Thanks.

A quick side note, if anyone wants to explore the Bradshaw's, Little Burro definately know his way around there.

Well, here is my report and the pics I have to add to this trip.
We met up at Walker Road and SR 69 at the AM/PM around 11am (it was supposed to be earlier). I have run solo so long that my 'agoraphobic' side almost tried to get there even later, but when I pulled into the AM/PM I saw the two Jeeps off to the side with the VJC stickers so I knew I was in the right place. I tried to just stand around my Libby while they came out of the store to see if they would approach me, but when that failed, I figured what the heck, I may as well just drive over to their Jeeps, impose and introduce myself.
After some greeting and talking about the options, we left.
We went down Walker Road to a place called the "pink car" where Shilo took a bunch of pics, White Rabbit had to change out a wheel and we all aired down. But first, here we are on the way:

The Pink Car:

Afterwards, for a little while I was tailgunner; after we left the airdown site:

Nice that some one put a fisheye on a blind corner:

Already forgot the name of this lake, just remember that it's pretty much a private one:

Mmmmm, trees:

Now somewhere along the way, White Rabbit took up tailgunning and put me in the middle of this three Jeep trip. So, I figured I must have to try to take a rear view mirror shot. And of all the ones I tried to take, this is the only one that came out worth a crap:

Now we had to stop here for something that Mike obviously needed to find. But I can't rememeber what it was. Must be an old dude (on my part) thing:

A couple of photo ops on the way:

Now, here we are at the Davis Dunkirk:

Upper headrig:

Random shot of the old tracks into the upper part of the mine (wish it would have been a better pic):

Afterwards we continued on to attempt to get to the Blue Dick mine. As we progressed uphill through more and more loose rocks I finally clicked into 4H for more traction. Then after we topped one rise and were going down one drop, Chris (LittleBurro) stopped and showed me the line I should take going down the first part of the drop. No pictures. It really wasn't anything most of y'all would have troubles with, but when I went down that first part I did hit my xfer case skid plate because being a stocker, I don't have the clearance that most others have. No prob, I knew exactly where I placed myself and it hit off center to the passenger, exactly where I wanted it to; no problem. Then the road got better for a few hundred yards and there was a really cool campsite off to the right where I parked my Jeep for a bit.
However, the rest wanted to continue down so I took a shotgun seat with LittleBurro to see the rest. Well there was a 'spar' rock (where I admitted defeat, i.e. I'm not taking mine there) and then further down the rest of the road degraded to a virtual waterfall. The pics that LittleBurro posted about this part of the trail earlier do NO justice at all. LittleBurro drove down to the approach of the final drop/fall where we all said, "No Way!" But that is where there was a very nice overlook where one of my previous (cellphone) pictures was taken.

So anyways, after they got down, turned around, and headed back I decided I wasn't going to camp at that site, 'just in case'. As it went, I did go back up the same line (in 4H) but lost a bit of traction. Again nobody got pics. So I just backed off and tried again with a tiny bit more 'umph' and got over it without any bumping or banging. And that is where I threw down the gauntlet for WhiteRabbit to do the same, i.e. in 4H. Here is him preparing, with wife in front:

So, even though he was taking a different line in 4H, this is where he stopped?:

A quick click into 4L and up he comes:

Afterwards on the way back those guys decided to do some more mine exploration:

And I went on to find a place to camp:

And so I did:

After a long day of Jeeping, this beef's for me:

Hope y'all enjoyed my addition to this thread.
Old 05-28-2012
(George)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: Number 7
Default Re: Blue Dick Mine attempt-Bradshaws-May 12-13, 2012
Looks like a cool trip. George
4:88 Gears / Super 35 Rear
Dana 30 Front w/ Warn Hubs
TeraLow 4:1 T-Case
OX Lockers

Every Dog Has His Day!