Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 01-09-2014
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2014 fj cruiser and G550
Default Re: What to use for Phone/Tablet based GPS (maps)
Have just changed to another Windows device- the Dell Venue 8 Pro with the Dual Bluetooth gps ( used by a number of pilots), running Delorme. Has the advantage of avoiding the vagaries of ios, is low cost and runs windows8.1( office,etc.).
Mounts on the dash on a secure holder which allows the tablet to easily be removed and uses little "real estate".
Could post pics if anyone interested.
Old 01-09-2014
(Chris) (KI7FVF)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2006 GMC Sierra Z71
Anyone using a tablet with WiFi and making their phone a hotspot? I'm working on this with decent reselts but want to see if anyone has done otherwise.
Old 01-10-2014
(ed)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 03 tj rubicon
Originally Posted by jakescase View Post
Have just changed to another Windows device- the Dell Venue 8 Pro with the Dual Bluetooth gps ( used by a number of pilots), running Delorme. Has the advantage of avoiding the vagaries of ios, is low cost and runs windows8.1( office,etc.).
Mounts on the dash on a secure holder which allows the tablet to easily be removed and uses little "real estate".
Could post pics if anyone interested.
yes, please post pics
Old 01-10-2014
(ed)
Basic Member

Anyone try to load offroad maps into a tomtom? Saw a write up about it online but it sounded really complicated.
Old 01-10-2014
(Kevin)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler
I LOVE using my iPad for GPS. I have a wifi model without an internal GPS unit, so I use an external. Works great! My favorite apps are as follows and are entirely stored on the iPad since again, it's wifi only:

Scenic Maps - I purchased the central US version because it had almost all of AZ (not extreme western AZ), UT and CO (plus a whole lot more) where I spend the majority of my wheelin time. I REALLY like this app. Very easy to use. I'm sure I'll end up purchasing the western US eventually. If I remember correctly, it was right around $10.

Topos Maps - I had this one on my iPhone and already knew I liked it. It uses actual USGS quad maps. The key being that you need to download the maps you will need ahead of time. It was around $9.

Navigon - For on the road turn-by-turn directions, I chose Navigon by Garmin. I purchased the US west version. The nice thing is that you can download only the states that you want to, saving space. I chose AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM and CA. It ran $29. I could have used my iPhone for this, but what can I say, I really like the big screen!

I have it mounted in front of my radio, which looks great and is convenient. Since I have satellite radio and don't change stations often, it works well for me.

Attached is a screen shot of Scenic Maps coming out of Oak Creek canyon. If anyone has questions, let me know!
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg image.jpg (312.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 01-10-2014
(Ryan)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0, 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Just a quick question, I know that the verison phones have "hot spot" capabilities, I have AT&T. I have not heard much about the AT&T phones being hot spot capable unless you purchase a true "hot spot" does anyone have any info on that. I have an I Pad mini that I would love to use on the trail but without downloading maps before hand I think I'm out of luck. I'm not very tech savy, so if anyone has any info that would be great.

Last edited by tucsonWJ; 01-10-2014 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-10-2014
(Kevin)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler
Originally Posted by tucsonWJ View Post
Just a quick question, I know that the verison phones have "hot spot" capabilities, I have AT&T. I have not heard much about the AT&T phones being hot spot capable unless you purchase a true "hot spot" does anyone have any info on that. I have an I Pad mini that I would love to use on the trail but without downloading maps before hand I think I'm out of luck. I'm not very tech savy, so if anyone has any info that would be great.
With the iPad mini (wifi version), you will need an external GPS receiver. I use this one - Dual Electronics XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth.

Once you have that, you just need maps that are stored on your iPad (see post above). You shouldn't need to be tethered, but that would allow you to use your iPad for anything else. I've never tethered my iPad to my phone, so I can't help you there. It looks like you're in NW Tucson, so if you would like to see my setup, let me know.
Old 01-11-2014
Basic Member

The ram mount, the Venue and also DeLorme on Venue. Then the Tablet mounted and the Dual Bluetooth GPS. Hope the pics attached properly.
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg Ram mount.jpg (97.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Venue.jpg (96.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DeLorme on Venue.jpg (105.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Venue mounted.jpg (69.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Dual.jpg (168.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-11-2014
Basic Member

Originally Posted by ehall View Post
yes, please post pics
Posted pics............
Old 01-11-2014
(ed)
Basic Member

Thanks, looks perfect