Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 05-17-2014
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A Basic Tablet Setup for GPS & More
hooking it all together...

ok, the simple part - here's basically the the whole setup that accomplishes all our goals:

that's the great thing about a tablet based carputer instead of the old school PC or Mac type setup with a touchscreen and a million discrete components - tablets have nearly everything you need all built in.

the picture above shows everything needed to power the tablet, get audio out of the tablet, and get audio into the factory sound system. the tablet does the rest (GPS, internet, wifi, screen, touch input, microphone, car-off power source, bluetooth, file storage, etc.)

audio interface

to get an auxiliary input on the factory radio, i used an adapter from Blitzsafe (the small box with the yellow label in the pic above). it replaces the harness in the back of the factory radio that goes to the cd changer (if you have one). the only downside is your lose your cd changer, but who uses those anymore?

the other connection coming out of the adapter is the audio input, which is in the form of stereo female RCA plugs. so i used a short adapter cable to get that to a 3.5mm stereo female input that the bluetooth adapter could plug into.

before putting that all in, i put a dab of Goop on the RCA plug connections because they didn't feel super tight. i learned during my very first carputer project to zip-tie or Goop any connections that aren't 100% secure before hiding a bunch of wiring where you can't get to it!

i zip tied all the cabling to the Blitzsafe box to keep things from getting to messy.

here's the bluetooth audio receiver i used, a Kinivo BTC450. it's power adapter has a USB charging port built in to power the tablet as well. it also has a little puck with a play/pause button and track next/back buttons. there's even a microphone on the puck for people using this with phones.

we chose to mount the puck on the dash near the steering wheel so Aimee would have an easy reach to control music. you could just hide this part away with the other wires if you didn't want to use the buttons.

power

i then realized that Aimee's cigarette lighter outlet was actually always on. i needed to power all this off of a switched power source so that the Jeep battery doesn't drain and so that the tablet knows when to "wake up" and "sleep". so i needed to wire an auxiliary 12v outlet to a switched supply.

i also noticed that the Knivo's charging port was only rated at 1 amp, but the tablet needed 1.5 amps to charge at full speed. some tablets (iPad, Samsung) use over 2 amps for fast charging, so there are plenty of car chargers rated high enough available. i found an auxiliary dual outlet with a 2.1A integrated charger at Walmart. you could get one online almost exactly like it for a couple bucks less: http://amzn.to/1iWeVkX

i figured the radio harness might be a good place to get a switched power source, and a quick google search turned up a wiring diagram for the harness: http://www.justanswer.com/jeep/3ea2b...nd-system.html

technically speaking, the switched wire is often low amperage and so you should use it just to trigger a relay that gets power from a higher amperage source (the 2 larger pinkish-red wires in ours). however, i saw that our switched wire came directly from a fuse which was rated high enough for my use. still, without a full wiring diagram i don't know what else is being powered off that fuse, so it was possible that my plan could trip that fuse if enough other stuff is pulling through it too. all i can tell you is that from past experience my gut said it would be fine to pull our small load directly from the switched wire... so that's what i did. for ground i spliced into the harness as well (one of the 2 larger black with green stripe wires).

after plugging in the USB cable for the tablet and the Knivo plug, i put a dab of Goop on them to make sure they don't vibrate loose.

there was plenty of space in the dash beside the radio to tuck everything up into.

a little more work than just plugging into the existing cigarette lighter outlet, but now everything comes on/off with the Jeep and there are hardly any visible wires.

continued...

Last edited by theksmith; 08-16-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-17-2014
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
almost there...

here's the nearly complete 1st draft:

with the camera at my chin (Aimee's eye level) - you can see the tablet doesn't really block your view, and it's not in front of any airbags or factory controls:

still to do:

- configure the tablet to come on fully with the Jeep and go into a "sleep mode" when the Jeep is off.

- construct a cleaner looking and more stable mounting bracket.

- see how all the glued/crimped/screwed things hold up over time.

continued soon...

Last edited by theksmith; 05-17-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2014
(Chris) (KI7FVF)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2006 GMC Sierra Z71
Looking good!
Old 06-29-2014
(SaM)
Basic Member

Vehicle: WJ 2000
I'm always amazed at your awesome skills and super clean, thoughtful installs. Keep it coming..
Old 06-30-2014
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by RockWJ View Post
I'm always amazed at your awesome skills and super clean, thoughtful installs. Keep it coming..
hey thanks!

i've currently got her dash apart so i can create a more stable mount, i'll update when it's done
Old 06-30-2014
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 "War Wagon"
Very nice, figuring out a solid mount that puts it in the right position is my next step for the ZJ install.

Old 08-15-2014
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2007 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
almost there...

..snip..
still to do:

- configure the tablet to come on fully with the Jeep and go into a "sleep mode" when the Jeep is off.

continued soon...
You are quite an inspiration! Thanks for sharing.
Can you give me any tips on where to find configuration info on this. Google is my friend, but I'm not wining this time.
Old 08-16-2014
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by HeyOK View Post
You are quite an inspiration! Thanks for sharing.
Can you give me any tips on where to find configuration info on this. Google is my friend, but I'm not wining this time.
i use the app "Tasker" for this - basically it les you program in a visual way. i use a couple plugins with it, mainly "Secure Settings". however, Tasker is probably over kill for most people and too complex unless you think like a programmer.

i've never tried it, but the app "Autosleeper Auto power ON-OFF" supposedly does what most folks with a carputer type setup would want. let us know if you try this and how well it works.

another alternative might be the app "Llama" which is a much simpler Tasker type program. another along those lines is "Automagic * Automation"

i'd share my Tasker config but still haven't finished a simple one for the Aimee's tablet and the one in my Jeep is way too complex because it does a lot of "stuff". if you do try to use Tasker just post up any questions and i'll try to help.

final tip: a simple hack that requires no apps is to enable the Developer Options menu in settings (Google for how, you have to tap somewhere a bunch), then turn on the option to "Stay Awake" and the screen won't sleep when the device is plugged in.
Old 08-16-2014
Basic Member

Thank you for your reply. I will get on this a little later today and try and report back.

Al
Old 08-18-2014
Basic Member

I went out wheeling so I didn't have a bunch of time to try different things, but I did give this one a shot:
"Autosleeper Auto power ON-OFF"
This was perfect. Start up my Jeep and the tablet comes on and when I turn off the key, it shuts off. Sometimes it resumes the last program I was running, but sometimes it goes to the home screen. I used Waze and Locus Map Pro for navigation, Torque Pro to see what the engine was up to and DoubeTwist for tunes.

I want to check out some other navigation apps for off road use. Maybe just looking over the operating instructions for what I have will help. So far though, I don't seem to understand it enough to be of much use.

The mount I'm trying out is the XENOMIX SHG-NX4000

I think the mount is fine for use on a paved road but offroad, it would be nice if it held more firmly.

Sorry for the thread hijack - I hope I didn't detour it too much.

Thank you again for helping get me started.

Al