Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 01-17-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
so the dealer replaced a camshaft and 3 rocker arms & lifters in the right head and 2 arms & lifters in the left head. would have been just over $1k but the extended warranty covered it and the rental car 100%.

i didn't get a hold of them before they had it all back together, so i've still got to do the PCV valve myself.
Old 01-18-2019
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Glad it worked out for you Kris.
You had the “house” warrantee if I remember correctly?

That’s a lot of repairs for 63K. Anything being said on the forums about using something different than the 5w-20 oil? At least something being said by someone that seems to know what they are talking about!
Old 01-19-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jgaz View Post
Glad it worked out for you Kris.
You had the “house” warrantee if I remember correctly?

That’s a lot of repairs for 63K. Anything being said on the forums about using something different than the 5w-20 oil? At least something being said by someone that seems to know what they are talking about!
i have this MPP Platinum warranty, which is what Airpark Jeep sold us when we bought it (i know, suckers!). next time i buy a vehicle, i'll likely get a factory brand extended warranty.

i don't know which weight oil they have been using at the dealer, but they've done all my oil changes thus far. the manual only mentions using 5W-20.

FYI, i do run the 75W-140 alternate gear oil in the diffs that it says to use if you tow, instead of 80W-90.

i don't know what the oil-life indicator in the JK is based on, but it's only ever warned me to change the oil once, usually i make an appointment before 5k goes by. maybe i should start changing it more frequently.
Old 01-19-2019
Basic Member

Vehicle: 05 Jeep LJR
I could go on and on about all the oil related threads I've read through the years. The one thing I know for sure, is, I can remove any
inconsistencies by doing it myself. I admit that, it's not always convenient. But at least I know it was done right, and to my satisfaction!

BTW. Looking at the vid you posted of the PVC change out, it doesn't look all that bad.
Old 01-20-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Zeep View Post
BTW. Looking at the vid you posted of the PVC change out, it doesn't look all that bad.
yeah, not horrible - it's just that on the JK you pretty much have to stand on a step stool and then reach in and do it all by feel, you can't see any of it. i'll get the valve ordered this week and take care of it soon.
Old 01-21-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

so the weekend before all this silliness with the ticking engine, i received my new Clayton crossmember and got that installed.

this replaced the Barnes4wd crossmember i had installed previously. i have to say, the Barnes unit is nicer. i don't have any doubts that the Clayton one will hold up fine for me, but if you're looking for the absolutely beefiest one - get the Barnes. here are some comparison shots:

i went ahead and changed the t-case fluid while i had all the skids off. 60k miles is the recommended interval, but i probably should have done it sooner.

2 tips on that - first, it will shoot out further than you think when you first take out the plug, so have a long catch pan! second, if you don't have one of these fluid transfer pumps that screws onto various bottles, you're working way to hard to fill it back up!

since i was in icky fluids mode and at that 60k interval, i went ahead and did both diffs too. the gear oil in them didn't look too bad at all, no signs of water intrusion. i had changed them once before a year or so ago.
Old 01-21-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

even though i was coughing up phlegm with a nice little cold, i was eager to get the Clayton engine skid installed this weekend - so i just worked really slow, a little at a time.

here's the old skid i replaced. the main reason to change was it rubbing on the front pinion flange & driveshaft under full flex. this had been occurring infrequently before, but once i swapped in the 4" coils, it hit much worse.

with the Jeep growing up and me wanting to run harder trails, it was time to upgrade anyway.

here's the new Clayton skid. everything, including the brackets, is 1/4" steel and it has a nice large access panel for the oil drain.

though i was happy to see Clayton included yellow zinc plated grade 8 hardware, it's unfortunate they use SAE instead of metric. the Jeep is 99% metric, so it's a pet peeve of mine when companies introduce SAE hardware into the mix.

their crossmember is required for their skid system because of several additional screw holes. however, all of the factory holes are also still there, so i was able to continue using my factory t-case and gas tank skid for now.

i did trim the OEM t-case skid a little, just so it would mount as flat as possible instead of overlapping the new skid.

the new engine skid is far enough from the pinion that i certainly won't rub there.

however, i'm running an exhaust y-pipe drop to give clearance to the factory driveshaft and that's sitting only about 1/8" from the new skid.

honestly i can't believe that's not rattling even when driving! if the engine mounts or exhaust hangers sag the tiniest bit, it's going to hit.

i could probably squish the pipe a bit at its lowest point (i.e. make it more of an oval shape), but i think i'm just going to leave it alone for right now. i'll eventually be changing to an aftermarket driveshaft and can get rid of that lowered y-pipe when i do.

now that i see this Clayton heavy duty engine skid installed, i'm eager to get their gas tank skid and replace my mangled factory one!
Old 01-24-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

last year i bought some off-brand sand ladders (i.e. fake MaxTrax)... and no, i haven't had a chance to test them out yet!

i was just keeping them on my FrontRunner Cargo Shelf, but they were cumbersome to load other things on top of... so i built them their very own little attic shelf:

the rear factory roll-cage crossbar acts as part of the shelf too.

i originally tried to make a fold-down storage area, much like the Grenadeacorp one, but i could never get the latches 100% rattle/creak free. however, i was at least able to re-purpose the brackets i had made for that project as the starting point for this new shelf:

then these pieces bolt to those base brackets on each side:

like so:

i made the ends of the shelf itself out of a taller piece of metal than required. this allows me to lower it by just drilling 4 new holes if i ever need to... like if these sand tracks don't work out well then i might want a little more space to store some other junk there instead.

the ends are also longer than needed in case i want to ever make the shelf deeper.

everything is 100% removable other than the small slits i cut in the factory roll-cage padding.

overall a pretty straight-forward project and an easy day of cutting, drilling, and welding!

Old 01-25-2019
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Looks good Kris!

Now you’ve got storage in the attic, as well as the first and second floors
Old 01-25-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

you guys are never going to believe what my next mod is!

...hint: just ordered 2 items that go together totalling around $1,200 from Northridge4x4...