Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 03-29-2017
(Mike) (KE7GRM)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 TJ
Default magellan trx7
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with the subject item?

Looks like they have been upgrading the unit since its inital release; a
little on the pricey side though.

But I may still put it on my Christmas wish list.

http://www.magellangps.com/Outdoor-N...Y_gaAvp18P8HAQ

Best regards,
Old 03-29-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: magellan trx7
i think it's a nice idea but still apparently needs polish.

the software (TRX app) is available for purchase separately for any regular Android or iOS device. it currently has pretty bad reviews and a rating of 2.5 out of 5 stars on the Google Play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vigation&hl=en - and 3 out of 5 stores on the iTunes store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mage...029726488?mt=8 - it's exorbant subscription cost of $20/month is practically unheard of in the app world, even if it had stellar reviews.

the biggest thing it has going for it would be the simple ease-of use. the app is designed like a more traditional GPS to not require you to pre-plan map downloads (it has a topo base map of the entire US i believe). it's also got an online database with tracks/waypoints of trails and supposedly makes it very easy to download and share those. however, i said would-be, because according the current reviews they missed the mark somewhere.

the hardware (eXplorist TRX7) is a bit overpriced for what it is. it's just a 7" Android tablet made to be waterproof/ruggedized. it doesn't have a transflective screen or helix antenna or any other stellar specs that you'd expect for the price and target audience. folks needing a solution to mount in an open top Jeep or an ATV/UTV, might justify the cost, but i'm sure there are regular tablets plus a LifeProof case that would be much cheaper and work just as well. it's slightly cheaper than the Garmin 276Cx (though the Garmin is still stuck in the past in terms of capabilities, it has a smaller but sunlight viewable screen and is more rugged).

wow, that was long winded even for me!
Old 03-31-2017
(Mike) (KE7GRM)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 TJ
Hi Kris,

Thanks for the info ......
Old 03-31-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
hope you are doing well mr. mike!
Old 03-31-2017
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ Wrangler
You know, just my 2 cents, but this club sure is blessed to have you and your expertise Kris!
smiles, ladybug

ps - Hi Mike!