Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 02-03-2019
(Tim/Curly) (KF7INL)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 97 Jeep Wrangler
Default Looking for a new GPS or an App for tablet
I like to Geocache, and my questions are about a new device to play the game. I don't have or want a smart phone.

My 14 year old handheld Garmin is dying. I am hoping to either upgrade the GPS or purchase an app for my Android tablet.
My current GPS is very basic, everything has to manually entered, one digit at a time. I want a GPS with the ability to download Cache co-ords directly from the website or to transfer them to a computer/tablet and then upload them. The ability to add maps would be nice, but not necessary. I have the tablet with alpine quest for off roading. The ability to export tracks would be nice.

My tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A. It doesn't have a compass, but finds its way with gps satellites just fine. I have tried locating a cache using alpine quest, but I cannot get a tight enough zoom level to make it practical. Is there another mapping program that would support uploading co-ords and a tight zoom to help locate the cache?

Thanks
Tim
Old 02-06-2019
(Mike) (KE7GRM)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 TJ
Default Re: Looking for a new GPS or an App for tablet
Tim,

Did you get the wifi only tab a?
Old 02-06-2019
(Mike) (KE7GRM)
Premium Club Member

Gaia will let you import files, i.e., GPX.

I have never geocached; may try on my next trip just to see if Gaia can help find a geocache.
Old 02-07-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
which map source are you using that you can't get a tight enough zoom on? what about using the Bing aerial/satellite maps?
Old 02-07-2019
(Mike) (KE7GRM)
Premium Club Member

Or, you can manually load in waypoint that you can track to.

So far, as far as I can tell, Gaia app seems to be pretty accurate with the Tab A.

Best regards
Old 02-07-2019
(Tim/Curly) (KF7INL)
Premium Club Member

Mike: Yes, wifi only.

Kristopher: I've tried to zoom in on a waypoint using Alpine quest and the Az map you made for it. Can't zoom tight enough. I've also tried downloading a cache from GeoCaching.com but I have no option to save it anywhere. It does give me the option to open it in google maps, but when the Gmap opens, it doesn't show the cache or give me an option to pull it out of downloads. I've tried using Gmaps off line, but the result is the same.

Right now, I have to manually input the co-ords into my handheld gps. Its time consuming and the gps is starting to fail, most of the time I can't get the input buttons to work. Rather than spend $150+ on a new handheld, I thought I might find an app or program to work on the tablet. It also has to work offline since I do most of my Geocaching offroad.

Tim
Old 02-07-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
i know there is an official geocaching app available - but i've never looked at whether it include pre-downloadable maps, etc.

those maps i created are limited to a zoom level that works for typical 4x4 usage because each further level makes the file size exponentially larger. however, you can pre-download almost any of the online map sources in Alpinequest to several levels beyond what i included. if you only select a small area near the cache then the download/storage size will still be reasonable.

note that any of the USGS topo maps are only going to have a limited amount of detail though - that's why i was suggesting trying the Bing aerial/satellite maps.

as far as getting the cache location into Alpinequest, you could create a new waypoint and manually enter the coords like you do on your handheld GPS device, or use the Search feature and enter the coords - or i read that geocaching.com will let you download a .LOC file that can be opened by Alpinequest (though i haven't confirmed that myself).

you might ask on the Alpinequest forums... supposedly they were going to fix it so that you could link directly from the official Geocaching app into the Alpinequest app and skip any sort of coordinate entry or download steps: http://www.alpinequest.net/forum/vie...caching#p10846
Old 02-08-2019
(Mike) (KE7GRM)
Premium Club Member

I went into Geocaching.com and found a couple of geocaches at and near White Pockets. So I downloaded the gpx file to the Tab A, opened Gaia and the location was already on the map identified.

Now where this gpx file is stored on the tablet, I have no idea and how it found its way Gaia without me doing any other step is beyond me.

I only found three geocaches up on the Paria Plateau; I'll download the other two and see what I can find.

Now to the other feature I like about Gaia; for years and years I held off getting a smart phone, but when I found out that my Samsung J7 can be a mini Tab A when I'm out of the jeep hiking, I bought in. The Tab A is a 10.1 screen and weighs over a pound.

Also, what ever is recorded on one device will automatically update the other one, even my laptop.

I hope this info helps,

Best regards
Old 02-09-2019
(Tim/Curly) (KF7INL)
Premium Club Member

Thanks Mike. I downloaded Giai on the tablet and tried getting geocaching to work. I did, but not as seamlessly or as easy as I hoped. Caches don't load automatically when I download them, I have to get them out of downloads myself.
The biggest problem seems to be I am missing my account image from the top of the page. I can't access many of the functions that show up in the drop down menu, I am limited to what is along the bottom of the page. I have emailed Giai support, maybe they have a suggestion.

Tim
Old 02-11-2019
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
For alpine quest I had to save the satellite image map to a maximum detail (typically a 15 out of 17). Otherwise it wouldn't go in tight enough. Takes time to do this and you have to reeat the steps for each area you want. It's a bit of a pain but we can see the images we need. I'd be happy to show you in the future.