Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 05-05-2017
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Default Hiking in Page AZ
Last Saturday some friends and I hiked Water Holes Canyon just south of a Page. It was an easy hike, well maybe easy up to the first ladder which really isn't bad.

The hike is approx. 1.3 miles and is located just past the bridge on Hwy. 89 south of Page. The canyon is on the reservation and requires a Tribal hiking permit of $12/person. You are only allowed to hike east of the Hwy. if not using a Navaho guide.

This hike rivals antelope canyon in some sections without the feeling of being trapped in a herd of cattle. We didn't meet another hiker during our 2 1/2 hour hike. If you've ever been through Page you've driven right by the trailhead.

As always watch for rattlesnakes (we saw a little guy), and pay attention to the weather as I'm sure this would be a prime location for a flash flood.

image.jpg.

Sorry, the best color shots I have all have people in them.
Old 05-12-2017
(Steve) (KG7EWF)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
Default Re: Hiking in Page AZ
Looks like a beautiful place to visit Jim...
Old 05-13-2017
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Wow, very cool!
Old 05-13-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
thanks for the heads up on what sounds like a neat slot canyon!

can you get the permit online or how did you get yours?
Old 05-13-2017
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

The permit is supposed to be available from the Navajo Nation Lechee Chapter offices in Page. This office is located several miles south on Coppermine Rd where it crosses 98. The friends that originally told me about this hike found that it took them two or three tries to catch someone in that office to sell them the permit.

I got ours from the Navajo Visitors Center in Cameron. They were very good to deal with. Their info is shown in the link below:

http://www.navajonationparks.org/permits.htm

Note: this office is on the SW corner of the roundabout where 64 joins 89, NOT in the Cameron trading post. The office isn't open on Saturday. I think it's best to call ahead because, for example, I found they had some very limited hours Easter weekend.

There is an online process but I have no experience with it.
Old 12-20-2018
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Just an update to the above hiking info:
As of May 1, 2018 you can no longer hike the canyon east of 89 without a guide. Instead of buying a $12 permit it will now cost you $48 per person.

Just a thought.... I wonder if this 4x fee increase includes an upgraded ladder at this spot?
Attached Images:
Old 12-20-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
that sucks, i don't mind the price increase as much as the fact you have to take a guide