Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 10-20-2011
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Bed storing/organizing clothes & bedding during expeditions
for the past few trips, i've tried a new system for storing the majority of my clothes and sleeping gear - a Watershed Colorado dry-duffel: http://drybags.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?...y_Code=Duffels

it's a very large (31" long) dry bag in a traditional duffel shape with a giant Zip-Lock style closure. it holds my big North Face Goliath Long sleeping bag, my inflatable pillow, and about a weeks worth of camping clothes. i keep my toiletry bag separate for easier access, and any coats/jackets i'm carrying also usually just get tossed somewhere handy in the jeep separate.

i used to store my sleeping bag in a compression sack during travel, and had a smaller psuedo dry bag for clothes, but i'm really liking this new system:

- it's completely waterproof - in fact they've supposedly been tested to 300 ft submersion without leaking. so this means i can easily store all my stuff on the roof rack when the jeep starts to run out of room (and i like putting light-weight stuff like this on the rack). and it also means i can leave this bag outside next to my Tent-Cot at night and not worry if a little rain comes up.

- it's a single thing to carry from the jeep to the tent

- it can act as one of those vacuum space-saver type bags.... you close it down all but the last inch, then lay on it and compress everything down pushing the air out, then finish sealing up the closure and it can save a ton of area if you really are running short on space.

- it's much quicker than fooling with a compression sack for the sleeping bag, and when at home i take out the clothes and let the sleeping bag fill up the duffel so it can sit un-compressed (which is how sleeping bags should be stored).

here's everything that goes in it for a typical 1 week or less trip:

and here it is closed with all that stuff, and in the second pic all the same stuff "vacuum packed" down:

there are end buckles like a standard roll-top bag, and top cinch-straps. there is one main duffel-style handle, and 4 hoops that can be used as tie down points or to attach a shoulder strap (sold separate):

here's the "ZipDry" closure shut and open:

the inside is a shiny, easy to wipe clean surface:

getting at clothes with the sleeping bag in it could be tedious, but that's not often needed. i usually setup the tent and sleeping area, and then i have easy access to root around for clothes with the large opening... here is the bag with just the clothes:

as a bonus, the bag is Made in the USA. Watershed is located in North Carolina. I couldn't find any info on their site about what percentage of the product actually comes from the US, or if it's just assembled here... but either way it's nice to know there's someone not-so-far-away picking up the customer service line:

some claims about the Watershed bags as to why they are supposed to be some of the best:

and so far no problems to report with the Colorado bag, i even bought a second for Aimee.

how do you transport your bedding and personal effects on expeditions?
Old 10-21-2011
(Wayne)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 97 tj & 80 CJ5 & 96 xj
Default Re: storing/organizing clothes & bedding during expeditions
i wish i could figure out how to stuff a qween size bed in that
Old 11-03-2011
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2005
Wonderful reference. I'm going to shop this bag. Good idea for organizing clothes & bedding.
Old 11-04-2011
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2003 Nissan Frontier
Google shopper has them at $135 no black tho. Nice write-up as always K. That deff beats the huge canvas comforter bag I bring HAHA
Old 05-18-2017
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
Originally Posted by Project510 View Post
Google shopper has them at $135 no black tho. Nice write-up for Male Extra as always K. That deff beats the huge canvas comforter bag I bring HAHA
That sounds like a good price when you think that this bag is pretty durable and should last quite a while.

Last edited by AlfonzU; 10-10-2017 at 11:15 PM.