Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 01-24-2011
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Money We're a bargain!
As the new year gets underway and I happen upon some other sites, it occurs to me that at $50 per year, we're a bargain...
Premium Membership here gets you some advanced forum features and makes you part of the Offroad Passport Premium Club. The Premium Club lets you attend exclusive professionally organized events. By upgrading to Premium, you are joining an actual club with guaranteed trips, how-to clinics, and tech days.
here's what i'm seeing:
An Arizona Expedition - $550 per vehicle here:
http://www.bb4wa.com/trips.html

A Utah/Arizona Expedition - $350 per vehicle here:
http://pangaea-expeditions.com/grand-circle-expedition/

The Mojave Road, CA (which we are leading for free actually next month - $350 per vehicle here:
http://www.4x4training.com/Adventures/mojaveroad.html

Rock Driving Clinic - $225 per vehicle here:
http://www.4x4training.com/TrainingClinics/Rock.html
These are all fine, respected companies providing a valuable service. My point is simply that we currently provide some of the same exact experiences for quite a value in comparison. Hell, there are adventure magazine subscriptions that cost as much (and here you can read about and see the same adventures, as well as join-in)!

Also note that some of these other company's events require a minimum number of participants or else it doesn't happen. There are other clubs (free as well as dues-requiring) that are known for canceling events last minute. Offroad Passport prides itself on sticking to our Premium Trip schedule (barring acts of nature that change roads, of course!) - We've attended our own trips by ourselves before when people pulled out the last minute, because someone might just want to show up that morning.

some quotes from other sites:
"We will be truly exploring some of the most remote regions in the United States." - Been there! How about 5 days without a sign of civilization except the very occasional commercial airplane way above. Have you seen stars from one of darkest night skies in the country?

"This is a weekend with the coaching of an experienced guide..." - Anyone that's listened to Number7 give detailed obstacle-conquering instructions will attest to his ability to guide. Our clinics also teach spotting and how to be spotted among other techniques.

"We leave no-one behind." - Though we try to teach people to be self-sufficient (with information on what to carry and how to use it), we also would never leave anyone behind. We carry plenty of tools, parts, and supplies on our trips, even a couple of welders. Sometimes we're even the first ones to jump in and start working on someone elses breakage. Every trip is a new team, and you never let a team member down! We also are here to answer any questions about what you need or how to prepare before a trip. Whether it's camping, off-road, mechanical, or just an opinion question, always feel free to ask - and if your're shy, just PM us.

"The cost ... covers our logistics, planning, and guiding as well as commemorative vehicle stickers." - Premium members get decals here too! But seriously, DZJeepChic has been known to spend countless hours on the phone with chatty park rangers getting reservations made (as well as finding out all the secrets of an area we are headed too). We've even made reservations a year in advance before, just to secure the best spots during opportune seasons. Occasionally, we offer the chance to come with us on "exploratory" expeditions, but many of our trips are to areas that we've scouted and know like the back of our hand. Either way, you can bet on us having all the maps, books, gps', and inside info needed to traverse anywhere we lead you. We'll even bring on a guest trip leader when they can provide valuable insight.

"We will camp along the way with enough time for an extra cup of coffee in the morning and plenty of time to set up camp and enjoy the views" - Once in a while, trail repairs may cause delays in a schedule that need to be made up. Beyond that, we like a nice relaxed pace too! We also strive to create a fun group dynamic with shared stories, laughs, food and spirits. (Not that we do Chuckwagon style meals, but I guarantee you, no one that forgot something has ever gone hungry around us!)
Again, I'm sure that many companies offer similar experiences, but give us a chance and you'll come back for more. That's why we offer several free trips and day-runs each year, so you can get acquainted with this cast of characters and see if it's a good fit!

If you aren't able to join us on any trips, but you enjoy our great Trip Reports and want to support the site, consider upgrading to an Advanced Membership for $15 per year - it offers some extra forum features as well.

Thanks to all our current upgraded members, and can't wait to see you on the trail again this year!

Old 01-24-2011
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2003 Nissan Frontier
Default Re: We're a bargain!
If I were more local to you guys, I would deff be premium. Advanced will have to do for me, since its likely once a year is about all I will be able to do with your group beng all the way in the bay area
Old 01-24-2011
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Project510 View Post
If I were more local to you guys, I would deff be premium. Advanced will have to do for me, since its likely once a year is about all I will be able to do with your group beng all the way in the bay area

and we're glad to have you as a supporting member for sure!

Even if someone joined only to attend a single Premium trip of interest - they would be paying $50 in effect for that one trip instead of $200-$500 or more! and then still have the option of attending other trips as well.

We've had some people looking at us just for our Rubicon Trip this year. The jeepersjamboree.com charges $350 per person with a minimum of 2 people per vehicle for their Rubicon trip. They do provide a little different type of trip, but I think ours will be a more personal experience.
Old 01-24-2011
(Marcus)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota FJC
I don't have Paypal, so I'll send you a check tomorrow. I can't go on the Mojave Rd. trip without a sticker!
Marcus
Old 01-24-2011
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2003 Nissan Frontier
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
and we're glad to have you as a supporting member for sure!

Even if someone joined only to attend a single Premium trip of interest - they would be paying $50 in effect for that one trip instead of $200-$500 or more! and then still have the option of attending other trips as well.

We've had some people looking at us just for our Rubicon Trip this year. The jeepersjamboree.com charges $350 per person with a minimum of 2 people per vehicle for their Rubicon trip. They do provide a little different type of trip, but I think ours will be a more personal experience.
Good point!
Old 01-27-2011
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Originally Posted by Lichen View Post
I don't have Paypal, so I'll send you a check tomorrow. I can't go on the Mojave Rd. trip without a sticker!
Marcus
Thanks for doing what you say you'll do! You're membership is upgraded and a set of decals are going out in the mail tomorrow. Thank you for your support of ORP!!! d
Old 01-28-2011
(Marcus)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota FJC
That was quick. I'm giddy with excitement!