Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 08-10-2009
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Motorcycle TheKSmith's 2006 Suzuki DRZ-400S - The Backup Ride
Picked up my first Dual-Sport back in May this year. I've had street bikes (cruisers) and ATV's but never anything on the dirt with just 2 wheels

Here's a couple shots of her on my first ride out of town just a couple days after picking her up:

here are the rest of the pics from the ride: http://picasaweb.google.com/kristoff...aroAndSycamore
Old 08-10-2009
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: TheKSmith's 2006 Suzuki DRZ-400S - The Backup Ride
i've already got some more dirt friendly tires on it, and put several hundred bucks into other accessories. plenty more details are coming, so check back soon!
Old 01-27-2010
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

so i guess it's about time i update this thread!

let's start with what the bike came with...

i got it as super clean 2006 S with 3k miles on it. The PO had been using it for commuting and from the looks of it, I don't think it's even gotten dirty too many times. he had already done the following:

• Acerbis black plastics (which was planned as my first mod anyway!)
  • Clarke desert tank (which would have been my second mod!)
  • White brothers exhaust
  • 3x3 air box mod
  • Dynojet jet kit
  • Tusk aluminum handguards
  • Clear mini rear turn signals
  • Trimmed up rear taillight surround plastic
  • Avon Distancia tires with only 300 miles on them (for sale if anyone wants them)
on my first ride out of town the clutch cable broke! looked like it was adjusted wrong and was rubbing right where the sheath ends and the cable enters the perch. first expense - new clutch cable! not to bad to install, but did have to remove tank in order to get to everything.
Old 01-27-2010
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

next i got some accessories...

ordered several things to add to the tool/spare/emergency kit... the first to arrive today was the Swagman Two Timer Bike Pump:

chosen for the following reasons:
- hand pump and CO2 pump in one small unit
- durable metal head
- uses threaded or cheaper non-threaded CO2 cartridges
- pumps by hand without removing cartridge
- purchased on ebay for $12 with free shipping

-------------

UPDATE:

the o-ring on the swagman pump that seals where the co2 cartridge mates split the second time i used this, wasting a cartridge. unfortunately it's a strange sized ring that i couldn't find at the hardware store, and putting in a very similar size ring ended up not sealing and just wasting another cartridge.

this could have been a one-time fluke, but i've decided to order a different brand anyway - the "Genuine Innovations Second Wind MTB Hybrid Inflator". The inflator is smaller, and without the t-handle, not as easy to pump. but i decided that, after all, the manual pump really is a very last resort if somehow you use all your co2 and still get another flat (which hopefully with heavy-duty natural rubber tubes will be not-too-often).

Old 01-27-2010
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

my second ride was to HorseShoe Dam, by this time i had added a small rear rack from ebay...

rest of pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/kristoff...deToHorshoeDam
Old 01-27-2010
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

then i did my own version of the Tool Tube Mod... looks a little bulky, not sure if I'll keep it:

Old 01-27-2010
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

next i did a ride out near seven springs rd, az...

Old 01-27-2010
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

then i got a tusk stand from rockymountainatv.com:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=10044724
Old 01-27-2010
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

CFC side case guards from ebay (also available on ThumperTalk, but i liked the no-logo ones) and the new msr 1" longer shift lever from RockyMountainATV (now that i have riding boots, my size 13 was having trouble with the stock shifter):

Old 01-27-2010
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

and new gas cap vent/breather from www.bjmotorsports.com. unique compared to those other little shorty lines with vents that you see everywhere for $20... this attaches more securely and is 2-way, allowing the tank to vent out on a hot day as well as breathe in as it uses fuel, and just looks neat: