Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

OBD1 Reader for XJ Question - Instructions?

I want to get an OBD1 reader to use with my '92 XJ. Does anyone know where the reader plugs into? Does it come with instructions? I'm sure it's a different place on different cars & I don't want to get it if I can't figure out how to use it . . .

d :rolleyes:

It should be under the dash on the left by the hood pull lever. I have a cheap one from Harbor Freight. Works well. All it does is read the code and reset it. Some of the more advanced ones can run engine tests and other functions. I get the code number and then search the internet for repair options.

The one I have was $40 and similar to this one. http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obdii-code-reader-with-multilingual-menu-98568.html

don't forget you should just be able to:

Older (OBDI) models - Start with the ignition off. Within five seconds, switch the key on, off, on, off, on. ("On" is NOT "Start" and "Off" is NOT "Lock"). The "check engine" light will flash. Count the flashes. Each code is a two digit code, so a (for example) 23 would be FLASH FLASH (pause) FLASH FLASH FLASH (long pause). It will never flash more than 9 times, so watch for those pauses!

and i thought the OBD1 codes could be cleared by removing battery and then shorting positive to ground for a few seconds (unlike OBDII which you do need a tool to clear)...

so why the need for a scanner?

It should be under the dash on the left by the hood pull lever. I have a cheap one from Harbor Freight. Works well. All it does is read the code and reset it. Some of the more advanced ones can run engine tests and other functions. I get the code number and then search the internet for repair options.

The one I have was $40 and similar to this one. http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obdii-code-reader-with-multilingual-menu-98568.html

that's obdII - i think obdI is in the engine compartment on the left side near the computer, but see my above post on why?

don't forget you should just be able to:

and i thought the OBD1 codes could be cleared by removing battery and then shorting positive to ground for a few seconds (unlike OBDII which you do need a tool to clear)...

so why the need for a scanner?

I need to learn how to do the key thing. Clifford threw a 'Maint Reqd' on the way to Wickenburg, which we were able to find out is a 'Timing' thing. I've heard about getting the code with the on/off method, but on Saturday none of us could remember how. George said he would clear it for me, but I didn't want to lose stereo presets - AGAIN - so we just left it.

The incident reminded me that I want to know what's going on if/when he throws a code. I'm going to try the off/on key method now to see if I can get it. Thanks for posting that k.

Yeah! I did on/off/on/off/on and got the code! Then I looked it up and I'm thouroughly confused:

"55 55 End of codes" What? d :rolleyes:

Yeah! I did on/off/on/off/on and got the code! Then I looked it up and I'm thouroughly confused:

"55 55 End of codes" What? d :rolleyes:

means you really don't have any DTCs set most likely. the "maint reqd" light is usually different than the "check engine" light. the "maint reqq" or "service engine soon" lights are meant to sound bad but are not usually truely as important as a real "check engine" light - they are usually time or mileage based to get you to take it to the dealer for service.

when aimee's trailblazer needs an oil change, it gets a big yellow "service engine soon" light that can be reset by the dealer or by some crazy key + accelerator pedal tricks that we can never remember.

- UPDATE: the best answer i could find for you is that it's probably jeeps way of informing of what's known as an EMR:

Emission Maintenance Reminder Light (EMR) Reset.

This output device is located in the instrument panel, and its purpose is to inform the driver that the vehicle requires scheduled maintenance for certain emission system components. The Single Board Engine Controller (SBEC) illuminates this lamp at certain mileage intervals. The controller keeps track of the vehicle mileage by monitoring the vehicle distance (speed) sensor. The EMR Lamp illuminates at 82,500 mi.

RESET PROCEDURE:

The EMR light can ONLY be reset through the use of a SCAN TOOL.

i also found more people saying that for jeep the service they wanted you to do was to change o2 sensors at that interval. but if you actually have anything that needs replacement to do with emissions, then you will get a real "check engine" code. so it is a "timing thing" but not what you were probably thinking that meant!

The "Maintenance Required" light for '90 & older had a mechanical timer device that tripped the light on. newer models have theirs turned on by a timer in the ECU & require a dealer visit to reset, or you can just pull the bulb as suggested previously.

hey i updated this thread with the jeep OBDI codes for you - print em out and put em in the jeep for next time: http://www.offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=686

Thanks Kris! I just put that into a word document along with the on/off instructions, printed and put in with my other documentation. I'm glad I did the 'key trick' today - I won't forget how to do this anymore. d :rolleyes: