Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Intermittent P0405 Code

I'm getting an intermittent P0405 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit Low) code thrown by my 08 JK.

It's come on twice now in the last month. Both times during long trips (1.5+ hours). But the code is gone the next day.

The general (internet) consensus is to replace the EGR valve. The valve is about $77 from Autozone.

Anyone had any experience with these? Is mine going bad and just going to get worse? Should I wait until it fails permanently?

I would suggest that you get it tested by a mechanic prior to replacing it. It could be that the wiring to the sensor is damaged. You could also have a loose connector. I would also check with a dealer and see if their has been a recall, since it is a emissions related component it could still be covered.

I would suggest that you get it tested by a mechanic prior to replacing it. It could be that the wiring to the sensor is damaged. You could also have a loose connector. I would also check with a dealer and see if their has been a recall, since it is a emissions related component it could still be covered.

And therein lies the dilemma. Do I pay for an analysis, or just pay for the new EGR valve. It's a gamble either way.

Murphy's law is very clear on this. If I replace the part, then the problem will be something else, and I will have paid for an EGR valve that I didn't need. If I take it to the mechanic, then it will be the EGR valve, and I will have paid for an analysis that I did not need. :rolleyes::o:(:eek::confused:;):P

I think for now I'm just going to do nothing. Then when/if it comes back on, I will reevaluate.

Goose pull the EGR off and look at it, it might full of crud. George:cool:

Goose pull the EGR off and look at it, it might full of crud. George:cool:

Good idea. I was going to check the wiring and connectors tonight, but I didn't think about that. Thx. :cool:

If it full of crud you have bigger problems.

PM me your email and I can send you the test procedures for this code.

PM me your email and I can send you the test procedures for this code.

Thanks Mike! PM sent.

Jk just threw po405. 91975 miles. Figure it's time for an egr. Did it fix yours?

No, I never did anything. It hasn't thrown the code since then. If I remember right, it's hard to get at, so I never even removed it to check for crud.