Sign in to follow this  
klaykrusher

Cherokee - What should I be looking for?

I noticed you had to back out of the trip, sorry about that.

Yeah, been looking at the 99 or 2000 models. I've been pretty specific in my search, Hi-Pinion D30, Select Trac Transfer and Chrys 5.25 rear, power windows, locks and cruise. Can't believe how many do not have cruise. Was ready to buy a 99 in Chicago, had everything, even overhead console, but build sheet showed 35C rear end. It's funny, when I ask the salesmen what axles it has, they all studder and say it's really 'clean' for the year....what a friggin' pain.....

So is the ECS all the electronic crap? What type of $'s you expecting for repair?

Thanks Dan for the info, may end up going that route. Slim pickins right now on the XJ's although I am expecting too much I think.

Dennis thanks, how come you are not keeping the skids?

Thanks Dan for the info, may end up going that route. Slim pickins right now on the XJ's although I am expecting too much I think.

Dennis thanks, how come you are not keeping the skids?

Don't settle, go for what you want. After I sell this rig I am not fully building another until I can build a 4dr JK the way I want, it will be pricey but what I want. If I take a rig in trade it will be similar to the ZJ build, just to get it by until I someday have a JK built.

I noticed you had to back out of the trip, sorry about that.

Yeah, been looking at the 99 or 2000 models. I've been pretty specific in my search, Hi-Pinion D30, Select Trac Transfer and Chrys 5.25 rear, power windows, locks and cruise. Can't believe how many do not have cruise. Was ready to buy a 99 in Chicago, had everything, even overhead console, but build sheet showed 35C rear end. It's funny, when I ask the salesmen what axles it has, they all studder and say it's really 'clean' for the year....what a friggin' pain.....

So is the ECS all the electronic crap? What type of $'s you expecting for repair?

lots of extra vacuum lines and more expen$ive exhaust components that were originally designed to last for only 100-150k.. at least i got lucky with cruise control, couldn't imagine not having it.

the '00-'01 models have 3 catalytic converters compared to only 2 on earlier models.

'00-'01 http://info.rockauto.com/Walker/Detail.html?32511-0928.jpg

'96-'99 http://info.rockauto.com/Walker/Detail.html?32511-0929.jpg

Airpark chry$ler quoted $1,588 for the 2-1 pre-catalytic converter pipe (p/n 52304) which of course is what i need & apparently the most expensive factory replacement part for the jeep cherokee known to man.:eek:

i paid only $3700 for this vehicle!

with smoke steaming from my ears i cancelled on smiley rock. looking back, i probably could have made it. jeep still runs fine until i can get it fixed other than throwing a PO432 code but the sticker shock from chrysler initially froze me in my seat. plus the lamp in my dlp television blew out thursday and those mercury filled replacement bulbs ain't cheap. luckily, George located a replacement Y pipe direct through walker/vatozone for $208.

i figured with all that better to save pennies in preparation for the rubicon trip hoping old man winter gets the heck out of south lake soon.

i still love my '01 though!

even though it doesn't have selectrac, it does feature a tera low kit for crawling over rocks plus it'll blow the doors off all other jeeps with at least 33 inch tires (except maybe Kris') from a dead stop.:D

P.S. it's the chrysler 8.25 rear i believe you're after. even the dana 30 has a 7 inch ring gear diameter.

Dang Scotty....when it rains.....I'm guessing the 2 to 1 pipe is not a part you can hit the junk yard for then.

Did you install the TeraLow kit or have someone install it? I imagine you did the SYE at the same time. Why did you go with 4:10's instead of 4:56 gears?

I've been reading up on the different long arms also. Seems like your RE ends sit up higher into the frame than other kits giving you a smoother 'tummy'. Is this the case or am I imagining.

even if you did manage to find one at the junkyard; how long would it last until you were stuck in the same boat again, right?

4 wheeler supply installed the tera low.

i went with 4.10's because i wanted to be able to go 80mph on the freeway and thought eventually i'd get the 4:1 for crawling.

if i had to do it all over again i'd still go with 4.10's for 33's and get 4.56's if i had 35's since mine is also a daily driver.

i don't have much experience with anything other than RE long arms but what you said makes sense.

looking at mine, the LCA "frame" mounts are tucked into the unit body pretty good.

the RE also features a massive transfer case skid that can make front drive shaft removal interesting.

in hindsight, i probably would have stepped my game up to a full coil long arm kit like this: http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1616

Dave, I bought armored diff covers

Twin 50's next week. :eek::D:cool: