Sign in to follow this  
klaykrusher

Cherokee - What should I be looking for?

yeah, back in AZ Scott. I looked at a couple in OH and was ready to drive into PA and Chicago for a couple that looked pretty nice. The dealer in Chicago was struggling with figuring out if the front axle was HP or not. He sent me the build sheet, It was a 99 limited loaded with low miles, but turns out it had the D35 rear end so I didn't want to spend any more time instructing him on how to determine if HP or not.

Another dealer had a nice one, again never heard of D30 HP, but he did say to be cautious of the 99's engine. Said to be sure to start it and let it run for 15 minutes, check oil pressure. Turn off for 5 minutes, then start again, if pressure drops to 8 or so he said you had to replace the engine. Don't know if 'he' was blowin smoke or not. He would not budge on internet price either.

I sent an email to this guy: 97 XJ

And am considering looking into this one: 99 XJ Those are a lot of tacos though.

I got to have cruise...won't budge on that...:)

I'm really not sure that there was any rhyme or reason as to what axles were put on what years. There seems to be a general guideline, but it still is up for grabs. The build sheets do not specify whether the D30 is HP or not. One dealer said it also was not an option to specify when special ordering.

So I'm taking my time. If it's meant to happen it will.

if the stealerships are struggling with the HP D30 concept i'd probably just ask the salesman to text me a cell phone picture of the backside of the differential in question.

from my experience, dealers will work with you when you go see the vehicle in person & if you tell them you're paying with ca$h, not financing.

if it were me and i was considering a lifted cherokee i'd get the built blue '00 from my post before that 99 XJ in your post; lower miles, long arm lift vs. short arm, plus the '00 add specifically states "chrysler 8.25" which outweigh the emissions drawbacks in the '00 vs. a '99 monetarily in my opinion.

patience is a virtue.

You lost me on the relationship with the 8.25 on the '00 and emissions. I'm a little slow today. The Blue one does sound interesting though. Yeah I'm not exactly happy with the high price on the 99. It does have the 8.25/D30HP and cruise ;)

Here are more pics on the 99XJ - opinions?

99 Cherokee

'00 Blue has Low pinion but also has cruise.

i'd rather have lower miles than all the stuff he has on it (the 99) - but that's just me. throw 6k cash at him if you can and see if he lets you walk away. blue one seems more of a value with what's on it, like SYE and CV DS

You lost me on the relationship

..i have a tendency to do that.

8.25= more important

HP D30= less important

i think that green one in Kris' latest post looks the most promising for the price of any we've posted throughout this thread.

But three George's would be handy. :cool:

So what do you make of this? Rust just on the front cover, little on the bars and knuckes, but very clean on the other side.

DSC01604.JPG

DSC01603.JPG

95000 on the vehicle, clean carfax