Sign in to follow this  
klaykrusher

Cherokee - What should I be looking for?

Here is the report: Carfax

I'm going to have them take some pics of the undercarriage too.

i personally would pass on it - that's more body rust (even though it's surface level) than i'd want to clean up.

I'm movin on...thanks for the insight and pee'n on my fire. I appreciate the candor and knowing you folks are looking out for your members......as always....:cool::D

A word about Carfax from an ex-car salesperson. Carfax is a valuable tool in many ways; you can see how many owners have registered the vehicle and whether they were private individuals or corporations (which often lease or rent said vehicles, think Budget, Avis, etc). If the vehicle was in for dealership service it is often listed on the Carfax because it comes up on the vin, so recalls, etc will also be there.

What is not included on Carfax, and what a lot of people don't realize, is stuff that was not covered by insurance. A car could be literally totalled, but if an insurance carrier didn't pay on it and there was no police report, the damage won't necessarily be listed. This is part of the reason there was such a problem with cars that were involved in Hurricane Katrina. Even though they were under water for some time, they cleaned up well and they many of them had clean Carfax because many of the owners didn't have comprehensive insurance. On down the road of course those cars are going to rust at a faster rate than if they hadn't been underwater...

I still recommend getting a Carfax on a vehicle you're interested in buying, but also include close in-person inspection before making a decision.

i personally would pass on it - that's more body rust (even though it's surface level) than i'd want to clean up.

Car dealers hate me, I crawl under a used vehicle before I will even consider test driving it. I guess I am spoiled with living in AZ my whole life, but I won't even consider a vehicle that has rust even half that of those pics.

Just walked from a dealer. They have a '99 w/83,000 on it. AZ vehicle, great condition, interior needs a good cleaning HP30/Corp 8.25, even had tow package, tran/oil coolers,all skids. They won't go lower than 8995.10 out the door.

I just couldn't part with the money yet.....

Just walked from a dealer. They have a '99 w/83,000 on it. AZ vehicle, great condition, interior needs a good cleaning HP30/Corp 8.25, even had tow package, tran/oil coolers,all skids. They won't go lower than 8995.10 out the door.

I just couldn't part with the money yet.....

That is way too mutch $$$$, you did the right thing Dave! George:cool:

Cherokees have become a highly sought out Jeep within the last 5 yrs or so and its almost like the dealers know it and they try and get double what street value is. Book value on these things is like 3500 but street is typically 1k higher maybe 2k. Yeah I have seen dealers ask 6,7,8 even 9,200 on these things.

If you got the cash I say hunt down a private party. Pay for a short tem subscription to carfax and when you go check the XJ out quickly run the VIN thru carfax on your phone.

hope this helps.