Sign in to follow this  
oldhockeyvb

Black canyon on a jetski

Anyone have experience running black canyon below hoover dam? I'm looking to do an overnight camping trip on my jetski in the canyon sometime late july. I hear there are beaches below willow beach. Anyone been there before? Anyone interested?

Years ago we had our boat up past Willow beach to a point where we could see the dam. We'd put in at Katherine's Landing and went up and back in a day trip. I don't specifically remember beaches along the way, but I do remember that the water is extremely cold near the dam. The Marina at Willow beach was closed back then, don't know if it still is or not. I also remember fighting huge chop in the afternoon on Mojave. Have fun!

There are not much by way of beaches, at least until you get down by the cha cliff's at the northern end of the "lake proper" on Mohave... Once on the "lake proper", there will be plenty of beaches to camp on.

In the canyon, there are a few smaller "beaches" (more like eroded banks) in the canyon, but you should be prepared for a constant and steady current, and the possibility of changing water levels overnight. Last time a buddy tried that, we ended up struggling getting his 18ft boat back in the water, as overnight the water dropped a foot (plus), and he was left high & dry.:eek::P:rolleyes:

This time of year, I like to put in @ Willow Beach (the marina is open), fish and play all day on and in the canyon, then run to the monkey hole and anchor off for the evening. Even though the air temps a few feet away in the canyon are warm, the coolness of the water lets you sleep like a baby...:D;)(Would likely be pretty tough to sleep on a PWC while on anchor...:P).

PS: IF you elect to go in @ Willow Beach, be sure to let your brakes (vehicle AND trailer) cool before backing into the water @ the ramp, as the water temp @ low-mid 50's is enough to either warp or break the drums/rotors which will have gotten VERY warm coming down the hill to Willow Beach.:(

There are not much by way of beaches, at least until you get down by the cha cliff's at the northern end of the "lake proper" on Mohave... Once on the "lake proper", there will be plenty of beaches to camp on.

In the canyon, there are a few smaller "beaches" (more like eroded banks) in the canyon, but you should be prepared for a constant and steady current, and the possibility of changing water levels overnight. Last time a buddy tried that, we ended up struggling getting his 18ft boat back in the water, as overnight the water dropped a foot (plus), and he was left high & dry.:eek::P:rolleyes:

This time of year, I like to put in @ Willow Beach (the marina is open), fish and play all day on and in the canyon, then run to the monkey hole and anchor off for the evening. Even though the air temps a few feet away in the canyon are warm, the coolness of the water lets you sleep like a baby...:D;)(Would likely be pretty tough to sleep on a PWC while on anchor...:P).

PS: IF you elect to go in @ Willow Beach, be sure to let your brakes (vehicle AND trailer) cool before backing into the water @ the ramp, as the water temp @ low-mid 50's is enough to either warp or break the drums/rotors which will have gotten VERY warm coming down the hill to Willow Beach.:(

Where is the monkey hole?

Where is the monkey hole?

Approx 3 miles South of Willow Beach, on the Nevada side of the river, you will find a small "cove/bay" which is pretty much protected from the current. Water depth ranges from 90+ over the hole, with much of the cove/bay averaging closer to 30-50 ft.

BTW: I assumed you were asking about and planning a trip there rather soon, thus my beach comments initially, which hold true for this time of year as most of the "beaches" are under water. Later in the season, (late fall thru spring before the melt begins), the water levels are typically much lower and there are a number of small exposed beaches all along the canyon, from the dam on southwards...;)

Yes my trip is shaping up for the first week of august. I guess you have answered my question about water levels and rapids. I have seen internet photos of rapids below hoover dam- not something I want to attempt on a ski. I bought a lake mead nra map last night so I'll do some more checking. Sounds like a mohave lake beach overnight camp. Good info as always ob1 thanks a lot!

FWIW: since 9-11 You will likely find it difficult to get close enough to see much of Hoover dam from the river... Last time I was that far north on the river in the spring of '07, they had the river blocked off from upstream access ~ 1/2 mile south of the dam...:o

Spoke to the park service recently and they said access to see the bridge and dam is good to go. Should be a fun trip. I'm getting excited!

Have fun and take pics. George:cool::D