Sign in to follow this  
jburns

Anyone use a jetboil cooking system?

Thinking of getting one to use instead of having to pull out my Coleman cooking stove? Just to use for hot food like soups and a quick cup of coffee or something in the morning while out camping?

Theres a couple options out there but I keep going back to the jetboil due to all the different attachments they have for it.

i have the MSR Reactor, which is very similar and have no complaints. we still use a coleman stove/grill combo unit for when the whole family comes, but when it's just me i take the Reactor.

the Jetboil is more versatile than the Reactor in a way, since it has the "group cooking system" possibility that opens it up to a more normal size pot. however, that can get pretty tippy with that and since i was only buying for solo use, i went with the MSR (and due to some other neat features). i don't think you can go wrong with either setup.

what's the difference between the "flash" an "sol" Jetboils?

looks like Primus has one too now - you might check out how it compares.

stoves.jpg

final thought - think about what you want to cook. none of these tiny stoves really "simmer" well. the are optimized to boil water as fast as possible and use that for dehydrated food. if you cook anything but water, then be prepared to babysit them and stir alot or you will burn stuff. mine gets use most often to heat chili or pulled pork that aimee prepares for me before trips, and once in a while to boil water for coffee.

If your just going to boil water for dehydraded food or coffe/tea I recommend the Heineken can cooking system. works great and very cheap to make and tasty...:)

^^^^Haha! Is that a joke? Doesn't seem like a tea light would produce much heat, much less boil water, would it?

Sounds like he puts fuel in the empty tea light base, actually interested in trying this :)

This is the stove I carry backpacking, kayaking... basically anything where weight and space restrictions are tight.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/basecamp-stoves/dragonfly/product

^^^^Haha! Is that a joke? Doesn't seem like a tea light would produce much heat, much less boil water, would it?

search for beer can stove or soda can stove and there are several variations of home-made alcohol stove. they actually work well and are a fun little project... http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/stoveinstruct.html

Nope, no joke...actually works quite well...:cool:

Was cooking some 'Hot' Italian sausage and figured I would get some pics of the tea light/Heineken cook system.

First I boiled 1 cup of refrigerator cold water. Second, I boiled 2 cups of Arizona 'cold' tap water (basically warm water hahaha).

1 tea light candle base

1 1/2 square mesh

1 Heineken beer can (wrapped in flame retardant string- pot cozy)

HEET or Denatured Alcohol

P1030754.JPG

P1030756.JPG

P1030757.JPG

P1030759.JPG

1 cup cold water boil time:

P1030761.JPG

2 cups cold tap water boil time

P1030764.JPG

So the system is not a jet boil, more light a piper cub boil, but I like it. Make sure to use an aluminum (or whatever) wind screen when out in the field. So for about 3 bucks you get a very light weight cook system.

Nice write up Dave! Pretty cool what you can do with so little. When I watched the video I failed to hear that he used denatured alcohol, I thought it was just a tea light, which would be the more like the hang-glider. d :rolleyes:

for comparison:

- the beer can stove boils 2 cups in 9 minutes

- the MSR Reactor does just over 4 cups (1 liter) in 3 minutes

however, the Reactor cost more than 50 times what the beer can setup costs! ;)