Sign in to follow this  
PMA4x4

Whats your choice of HD camcorder

I was not sure if this should be in the Photography section or not.

We are looking at adding a palm held HD camcorder to our collection of electronic gadgetry. we are going to be selling our Contour HD cameras and look for something with more options and a flip open screen.

What we would like to know is what are you using, what you like and dont like about your camera(s).

did you ever find something?

i usually buy point&shoot's that are capable of decent HD video. i realize it's still not going to have as good of video features as a true camcorder, but works for me so far.

No not yet. A lot of other things got in the way but we are still keeping an eye out for one.

Have any links to videos you took with your P&S?

my main camera was a Panasonic DMC-TZ5 until I knocked it off the workbench a few weeks ago and killed it. it was several years old, but still fairly competitive in terms of image-quality for a point and shoot. they no longer make it, but have models very similar with just newer features. more info on it here: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-tz5/4505-6501_7-32848645.html

it's biggest problem with video was "hunting" for focus anytime the light was even slightly dim. there was a firmware update that helped, but did not eliminate the problem. it would shoot 720P @ 30FPS or 15FPS, but only in Quicktime MOV format. another limitation compared to real camcorders was movie length - i don't remember the spec on max time, but it was definitely for shooting "clips" rather than an entire wedding or something like that without breaks.

these were all shot with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOLW3rVmgYg&hd=1

this one was uploaded at a low rez to youtube instead of full HD, but it illustrates that the optical image stabilization works pretty decent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JItxuHts1Zw

i would say you could expect only better from a more modern point-n-shoot in the same $350 price range that this one was originally.

i also have have a Panasonic G2 which has way more video options, but it's a completely different level of camera. If you might be interested in a pro level camera & camcorder all-in-one small package, check out the DMC-GH2, but it's not cheap. Also, it's pretty amazing what the GoPro HD is achieving now for that size "action" camera.

I have been using the JVC Everio GZ-MG77U for a few years now. Been a good little video unit. The extended life battery is a must as the one that comes with it is only good for learning to use the camera. stabilization is good and it works fairly well in low light. I have been considering a Go Pro since it suites most of my needs better.

I have been using the JVC Everio GZ-MG77U for a few years now. Been a good little video unit. The extended life battery is a must as the one that comes with it is only good for learning to use the camera. stabilization is good and it works fairly well in low light. I have been considering a Go Pro since it suites most of my needs better.

i recently came across this as an alternative to the GoPro and Countour action cameras: http://replayxd.com/

on first look, it appears to be a very stout little unit. the only downfall i see is no video screen backpack or bluetooth connection, so you can't see if you've positioned it right without having a small HDMI monitor handy or downloading a clip and checking it. however, it has a 12v power cord attachment that looks to maintain it's waterproof shell, and that is the most interesting thing to me for 4x4 type videos (freeing you from the relatively short battery life). with the power cord and a 32GB card, it claims 15 hours of video.

I picked one of these up just to play with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cool-Pro-HD-Camcorder-Wearable-Motorsports-Video-Camera-Helmet-Cam-Outdoor-DVR-/300695261926?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS

I put it on the barrel of my favorite duck gun this past season. Now I get to relive some of my hunting trips. I also learned that I need to work on my filming techniques. Hard to make the switch from hunter to hunter/photographer. So far it is very limited in the distance that it will pick up fast moving birds. I was not expecting much from this unit. I wanted to see if filming the shots would be any fun without spending a bunch of money on a unit just to find out it was not all I thought it would be. I will most likely have a better unit by next duck season:)

i recently came across this as an alternative to the GoPro and Countour action cameras: http://replayxd.com/

on first look, it appears to be a very stout little unit. the only downfall i see is no video screen backpack or bluetooth connection, so you can't see if you've positioned it right without having a small HDMI monitor handy or downloading a clip and checking it. however, it has a 12v power cord attachment that looks to maintain it's waterproof shell, and that is the most interesting thing to me for 4x4 type videos (freeing you from the relatively short battery life). with the power cord and a 32GB card, it claims 15 hours of video.

I talked with the guys at the ReplayXD booth at the Off-Road Expo last year. Blue tooth is in their sights. its a matter of technological size and price they are working on right now but they had no idea of a release date "if any". I have handled these cameras in person and they are nice, beefy and simple to use.

I have had the Contour and the ContourHD. I do not recommend them. Severe light issues. Tons of aberration at the outer edges and a slight fish eye view. Also enough jarring and it can loose power.

Mythbusters use the GOPROHD on on all of there remote or POV shots. so you can see the full quality there. I just think they are a bit bulky. but on my list.

I am actually going to be checking further into the Nikon D5100.